Bought a new battery for my truck today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 78 chevy k20 has had its duralast gold battery since this time in 2012 so it is 7 years old. It has been getting tired over the years but now it does not really hold a charge long. I decided tonight to stop by Walmart and check out what they had for batteries. I was not going to buy one yet but when i saw they had group 78 everstart maxx battery made by east penn with a 10/19 date for $93 i couldnt pass it up. I did have to dig through the batteries to find the last one way in the back with a 10/19 date. I did see a few with 4/19 dates and most group 78 batteries had 8/19 dates. My truck calls for a group 75 battery but a group 78 is close enough it should fit fine. both the group 75 and 78 were the same price but the group 78 weighs 7lbs more, has 100 more cca, i think at least 100 more cranking amps plus it has 110 reserve capacity vs the 95 for the group 75 battery.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Are those funny battery terminals an add-on, or does the battery come that way ?

the battery comes without those. I bought them separate. The battery has bolt on terminals as opposed to the clamp on terminals.

I just got walmart to eat a bad 75N in exchange for one of these last week. For my Yukon.

Very good joegreen ... Not going to be stranded this winter due to a bad battery. That's a good thing up where you are at given how cold it may get.

Joegreen:
You picked the right battery -- slight more capacity and made by East Penn Manufacturing.

I've ordered their batteries for telecom system's floating stand-by service for years. They exude quality.

Their "Intimidator" series auto/light truck AGM batteries are excellent as well.

Good choice...

Yeah, no sense monkeying around with a bad battery.

Losing a big chunk of a day because the battery you knew was failing finally died would be wasteful.....

When I got my COSTCO battery I had checked the Walmart. Their shelves were bare.
Later that week Walmart got their shipment and the entire rack was filled with new batteries. Very cool.

Originally Posted by joegreen
Are those funny battery terminals an add-on, or does the battery come that way ?

the battery comes without those. I bought them separate. The battery has bolt on terminals as opposed to the clamp on terminals.

Throw those things in the trash and get proper converters or the correct battery. Those are just temporary terminals and will cause more starting issues.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Throw those things in the trash and get proper converters or the correct battery. Those are just temporary terminals and will cause more starting issues.

The correct group 75 battery has the same bolt on connections. What is wrong with them?

Originally Posted by meep
my wife would freak out if I set a lead acid battery on the oriental rug.

What they don't know won't hurt them.

The correct group 75 battery has the same bolt on connections. What is wrong with them?

In 3-6 months there will be corrosion between the cable and terminal. There is a reason they are called temporary. The truck didn't come with side post cables originally?

What about cleaning the flame arrestor from a boat engine in the dishwasher?

Originally Posted by Donald

What about cleaning the flame arrestor from a boat engine in the dishwasher?

Or putting hub caps in the dishwasher.
smile.gif

Or storing tires in the bathtub.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I think you win

[/quote]In 3-6 months there will be corrosion between the cable and terminal. There is a reason they are called temporary. The truck didn't come with side post cables originally?[/quote]
The truck is pretty ragged and is mainly used to plow my driveway. The battery cables are not original. I can stick either the bolt on or clamp on but i like the way the bolt on fit opposed to the clamp on. Ill see how these work in the long run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back