2013 Equinox 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by tiger862
The only Dexos approval high mileage is Valvoline Maxlife.

I wasn't aware that any HiMi's had D1G2 approval..but apparently they're out there and it's not just Valvoline.
[Linked Image]

New one for me. Didn't know that Supertech Himi was Dexos as last time I looked it wasn't.

My daughter just got a G6 with that engine to run to work, an 09. Did they all do this? If so with the miles she drives....uh oh!

I think I might have a hard time convincing the dealer to fix it. We bought it used, although the Carfax showed the oil changes. I gave my wife the receipts for the oil changes to keep with the other records, and she informed me that she didn't realize she was supposed to keep them. So, the only record is the dates and mileage since we owned it I wrote in the back of the owner's manual, which I had to buy since it didn't come with one. Interesting that 1 quart in 2000 is the guideline, I was told it was more like 1 quart in 1000.

Wife still likes the car, and we're still paying for it.

I'd love to have a quart every 2k. Nissan said 1qt every 1k and I was under that so to bad.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
I think I might have a hard time convincing the dealer to fix it. We bought it used, although the Carfax showed the oil changes. I gave my wife the receipts for the oil changes to keep with the other records, and she informed me that she didn't realize she was supposed to keep them. So, the only record is the dates and mileage since we owned it I wrote in the back of the owner's manual, which I had to buy since it didn't come with one. Interesting that 1 quart in 2000 is the guideline, I was told it was more like 1 quart in 1000..

You have the Carfax record, and the Owners Manual written record, should be good enough for GM. That, and GM knows these engines typically consume too much oil, per their own TSB, totally implicating bad piston ringland design and/or defective metallurgy on the rings. Show them the TSB on your smartphone and email them the URL if necessary. They should know it by the number TSB 13-06-01-003I (last letter is a capital "I", not a number one). Make sure they use the latest June 2019 TSB due to a revision here.

GM is worried that people let the oil level get too low with excessive consumption. Wish they always put a Low Oil Level sensor in the sump like they have on some GM engines. My '19 Tiguan has one of those to back me up. I keep a pint of oil in the back just in case I'm on the road and the Low Oil Level (not pressure) goes off on a long trip.

It's hard to believe how cheap Walmart's SuperTech Full Synthetic (by Warren) 5w30 is in 5 quart big jugs https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-Super-Tech-High-Mileage-Fs-5w-30-5q-Dx/564283216
It does have Dexos approval. Good stuff then. About as cheap as many conventional oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
The only Dexos approval high mileage is Valvoline Maxlife.

I wasn't aware that any HiMi's had D1G2 approval..but apparently they're out there and it's not just Valvoline.
[Linked Image]

New one for me. Didn't know that Supertech Himi was Dexos as last time I looked it wasn't.

Ditto.. and at like $14 and change, that's a real bargain. You get not only a full synthetic HiMi but D1G2 performance to boot.👠Hard to beat for an off the shelf, non-rebate lube. And if the 5/30 AW add pk is anything like the 0w20 fs HiMi, it'll have a nice dose of moly and boron.

If you end up keeping it, print out the class action lawsuit GM just settled and bring it with you to the dealer as well

I would not keep the car -it WILL be trouble soon if not already. the timming chains also fail on these as well as the fuel dilution problem. these engines are junk and actually won an engineering award-believe it or not. my neighbor had one of these lemons and his dealer refused to admit the oil consumption was excessive . he got the last laugh when he traded it in at the same dealer later right before the warranty expired

I would check with another dealership just so you're sure GM is the problem and not the dealership. If they still refuse to warranty the car I'd ditch it and never buy another product from that manufacturer again. Too many good choices out there these days to settle for junk.

Last edited:
Same car, same motor, same year, same problem, same story... ive been running Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 on top of a fresh oil change of m1 ep 5w30 which didnt last long, and for some reason it has slowed consumption down a bit but took four quarts worth of top offs. I purchased a jug of castrol gtx high milage 5w30 that says it suppose to protect the catalitic converter better, im going to use the rest of the jug and may or may not try the gtx hm im still debating. Im still experimenting but so far im happy with the results ive found.

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
5w40 or 15w40

Or it'll keep chugging and it only buys time.

Junky piece of GM garbage engine.

That's for sure.

My 2000MY Detroit 60 12.7L is a factory reman engine I bought and dropped in my semi truck. I have put 1,028,000 miles on it since I bought it and it still only uses about 1 qt in 11-12,000 miles. All original except for the water pump.

FWIW my wife had a 2012 Equinox 2.4 and it didn't use any oil at all. I think the reason was I used 10W-30 and changed the oil every 3,000 miles. GM changed the OLM to a lower mileage setting because the oil wouldn't last the OCI, causing wear on the engine.

Thanks all for the info. New ride isn't in the budget right now, but it has had pretty disappointing reliability in other ways. Leaning toward some shorter changes with PYB 10w-30 to see if helps free any sticky rings and maybe slowing down the consumption, but I keep Rotella T5 10w-30 around for the mower and generator; would that be any improvement in the detergents, or should I stick with PYB?

Thanks all for the info. New ride isn't in the budget right now, but it has had pretty disappointing reliability in other ways. Leaning toward some shorter changes with PYB 10w-30 to see if helps free any sticky rings and maybe slowing down the consumption, but I keep Rotella T5 10w-30 around for the mower and generator; would that be any improvement in the detergents, or should I stick with PYB?

Stick with the PYB.. it's a great oil.

Check out the inside on this engine running pyb dino..

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3052549

Hope everything works out for you. I would also create an account over at https://my.gmc.com/login. This will tell you exactly what special coverage TSB are available for your Terrain. I am not 100% sure if GMC has officially extended their oil consumption warranty for the 2013 yet. But if they have that website will tell you. If you do create an account and you find the oil TSB for your Terrain, print that out and go back to the dealer and demand they do an oil consumption test. This work will fix the problem, and they don't just replace the piston rings. They replace rings, timing chain, chain guides, head gaskets, and more.

If you create the account and don't see that they are covering your Terrain, periodically check back on that site, because they could add yours to the list in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back