Change it up or stick to 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two cousins with the same truck, one is a 2017 1500 Chevy with the 5.3 Ecotec 32k miles, the other is a 2018 with 15k. They both travel 60 miles round trip each day to work all highway miles. I have been using Supertech Dexos 0W20 with an Ac Delco filter on both at 6-7k intervals. Should I stick to the 0W20 or would it be of any benefit to start using either Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, which is Dexos approved, or Supertech 5W30 syn, which is Dexos approved also. They have both been running great on the spec'd oil.

35.gif

How do they UOAs look?

My son uses M1 0-20EP in his GMC Denali V8. He changes every 15K with 95 K on his 2016 and 25K on his 2019.

Simple, just ask "why" 0w-20. Is there a good reason? Oh, save .001% mpg and risk engine wear, ok.

Originally Posted by Zolton
Simple, just ask "why" 0w-20. Is there a good reason? Oh, save .001% mpg and risk engine wear, ok.

Hogwash.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Two cousins with the same truck, one is a 2017 1500 Chevy with the 5.3 Ecotec 32k miles, the other is a 2018 with 15k. They both travel 60 miles round trip each day to work all highway miles. I have been using Supertech Dexos 0W20 with an Ac Delco filter on both at 6-7k intervals. Should I stick to the 0W20 or would it be of any benefit to start using either Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, which is Dexos approved, or Supertech 5W30 syn, which is Dexos approved also. They have both been running great on the spec'd oil.

I would stick to what you are doing. Considering those have a 2 gallon sump and changing out at 6-7k miles the oil is just fine and as for wear, not even an issue.

I have a 2018 with 38,000 miles and I'm starting to wonder the same thing (I've been running the 0w20 since new for 5,000 mile intervals). I've used Pennzoil Platinum, Rotella Gas Truck and Super Tech (for one run). Thinking of switching to a 5w30.

Truck does use a little oil between changes...maybe 3/4 of a quart in 5,000 miles. I've yet to see a 5.3 Ecotech that doesn't use some oil.

Last edited:
I have two of them - they don't use oil. Running M1 AFE 0w20 now … but bought M1 AP on clearance and will stay with 0w20 for a while

Ran Mobil1 0w-20 AFE for the 1st 12,000 or so.

Now running Amsoil 0w-20 SS in my `16 Suburban, just following the OLM and a Fram XG10575. Probably keep up with this for the extent of ownership.

Big sump 8 qts. and and oil cooler. 0w-20 is fine.

Another vehicle I have that will rust away before it wears out.

Last edited:
The new Fram XG 10575 has the the proper by-pass of 16-28 psi. You can tell the new stock from old by looking at the by-pass valve down at the center of the filter. The new ones are white. The old stock is black.

New ones have been out since ~April.

I know the boxes are sealed. I just carefully open and check it out. I think 9/10 by now most stock is new, especially at WalMart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
The question I'd ask myself is why do I need a 0w-xx oil in Louisiana? Personally I'd use a 5w-20, save some bucks and sleep well at night.

5w20 is same price. 0w20 in Louisiana will fine as sister runs this oil in an Altima. Not enough difference between 0 or 5 nor is there much of difference between 20 grade and 30 grade whether wear or fuel mileage. If you want to save on oil go Havoline ProDs route just buy 2 boxes then save extra since it is 6 qt
boxes

Stick with the 0W20... If it's going to have AFM issues it's going to have them with 0W20 as easily as it would with 5W30, oil can't fix design and material flaws. The GMC in my signature burned some oil when I got it with whatever oil it had from the last dealer and then a dealer change with ACDelco synthetic 0w20. The last two runs with Napa and Shell RGT it didn't burn any in 5000 and 6000 miles, respectively.

Plus your engine has an oil cooler and holds 8 quarts so I REALLY wouldn't worry about it. If I keep mine it'll probably start getting Supertech 0W20 once I use up the next oil change of Castrol I have from Prime Day.

Originally Posted by Rat407
Originally Posted by mobilaltima

I would stick to what you are doing. Considering those have a 2 gallon sump and changing out at 6-7k miles the oil is just fine and as for wear, not even an issue.

Plus 1

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
The question I'd ask myself is why do I need a 0w-xx oil in Louisiana? Personally I'd use a 5w-20, save some bucks and sleep well at night.

The 0w20 flavours often are better oils, having a more expensive mix of base oils to meet the very tough 0w extreme cold flow requirements. If you are going to use a 20 grade, I would use an 0w.

If towing or hauling, I would use 0W, 5W or 10W30 ... Assuming om recommends 0W20 or 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back