hybrid oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sons ioniq has 1500 miles on it already. Hyundai states 7500 oil changes. same mileage as the Tucson we have. seeing that the hybrid ICE only runs at certain times , does it really need to be changed at 7500 hybrid miles?

i will follow the factory oil change interval for sure to make sure the warranty is valid though.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
my sons ioniq has 1500 miles on it already. Hyundai states 7500 oil changes. same mileage as the Tucson we have. seeing that the hybrid ICE only runs at certain times , does it really need to be changed at 7500 hybrid miles?

i will follow the factory oil change interval for sure to make sure the warranty is valid though.

I have a Kia Niro which is the same powertrain as the Ioniq. FWIW. The Kia dealer where I get it serviced is recommending a 6 month, 5000 mile OCI.

Depends on how is the fuel dilution. Sometimes they run the engine colder than others and with direct injection it can push the fuel dilution over the edge. I'd stick with no more than their recommendation until more data is out (i.e .when the power train is 8 years old and finally starts to see issues) before attempting something risky.

Unless you're on the highway a lot, that engine will be started more frequently. I'd consider going with mfg recommendation, but temper that with a UOA or two in order to insure that your]/i] oil is being used for a proper interval.

If it's truly a hybrid and not a plug in you may find you need to change more often than Hyundai recommends

Many hybrids run in short trips with minimal highway start burning oil

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Only if you want a warranty.

banana2.gif

Think about it, if the engine runs half the time then that's less than 4000 miles. Follow the manual instructions. Why second guess it?

HMS

7500 miles is to make the engine last to 100k
if you want it to last much longer you need a lower OCI
smile.gif

dirty oil causes:

broken hoses
failed seals
failed engine components ..
sludge

4k oci should get it to 250k or more

do you have the DOHC vvt then yes 4k OCI

also only use top tier gas

Last edited:
My daily driver has 268k miles on it - I bought it with 10k on it 11 years ago. I change the oil when the dummy light comes on - usually around 7500 miles. It runs great, and is much cleaner under the valve cover than you would expect. It's a high revving, DOHC vtec engine, too.

Stop with the "the world will end if you go beyond 4k OCIs". It's a bogus, blanket statement.

Follow Hyundai's recommendation and be done with it. Saying a 7500 mi OCI will cause excess wear is just ridiculous.

I remember people recommending 10k+ OCIs on Priuses a few years back, with the same logic of "the engine doesn't run that often!" Now many priuses with less than 200k miles are using a quart every 1000 miles due to stuck oil rings and blocked piston drains.

Specifically a design issue with the 1nz-fxe engine in that case (same as 90s Saturns), but why risk it?

I stick to 5K max on Toyota hybrids. The engines on those don't get the benefit of a proper break-in due to how hybrids operate. My hypothesis to why a Prius will burn oil sooner than a Yaris/Echo/Corolla is the engine stops when there is an deceleration event. In a normal car, the engine still spins without fuel. In a Prius, the engine falls to 0RPM and the hybrid ECU commands regen mode.

If I had to do it again in a Prius, I'd drive the car in PWR mode and engage B mode which does spin the ICE for the first 1K of that car's life. At least that will give the rings a fighting chance to break in and seal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back