Brand Loyalty and Effectiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started amassing knowledge about cars around 3 years ago my first objective was to change my own oil. Although i cant remember what drew me to it but out of that I picked Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend. After a couple months I bought my truck with the intent of changing the transmission (straight into the deep end). Once I'd completed that and was looking for something to fill it with i saw that Valvoline had a Maxlife atf which was (although not specced on the bottle) specced for mercon v. In the earlier days I was ecstatic about anything Valvoline.

Since then I have branched out and use an array of products from different companies (Valvoline, Castrol, ST, Mobile 1 ect.). I no longer carry quite the same excitement for Valvoline products that I once did but when asked for recommendations I find myself habitually recommending Valvoline products.

This is not limited to fluids either. As I spent most of my childhood days in the back of a toyota camry, when asked about vehicles I find myself immediately pointing toward toyota (although terms of overall reliability ill stand by that). But when it was time to buy my second car, despite telling myself to get a simple camry or corolla I found myself with another Hyundai (which was the brand of my first car). I guess in that case I have built an opinion partial to Hyundai too.

Do you guys have any brand loyalties? Do they stem from objective research or subjectivity?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser

Do you guys have any brand loyalties?

Totally the one on sale with a rebate!

This is one of the positions I respect the most

No brand loyalty here. I go for convenience and price which usually means either Mobil1 or Castrol at AutoZone whichever one they have on sale that week. These are the two oils speced for my cars available where I live.

Not on the car side. Especially not to tires - I wanna try as many different tires as I possibly can.

I do in other things, especially hiking equipment like Black Diamond, Osprey, Merrell, and Innov8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Not on the car side. Especially not to tires - I wanna try as many different tires as I possibly can.

I do in other things, especially hiking equipment like Black Diamond, Osprey, Merrell, and Innov8.

This is the sentiment I currently find myself in, but when someone asks me for a recommendation I always find myself leading back to things like cooper/valvoline/toyota. But in my own decisions I end up experimenting with something new.

On a couple occasions this has bitten me in the rear end as I recommend things that are better than what I have (in quality or value) and it makes me want to get it.

I tend to have brand loyalty to Mazda vehicles. Never had a problem, and have had several in the family with 300k miles that only needed standard maintenance. on top of that, the compact line tends to be one of the best handling and most fun vehicles on the market. They screwed the pooch trying to make the 2019 Mazda 3 less sporty and more "normal".

At this point in life and servicing several friends' highly abused Hyundai's I am starting to form a high opinion of Hyundai also. People treat them like crap and they just keep running.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
I tend to have brand loyalty to Mazda vehicles. Never had a problem, and have had several in the family with 300k miles that only needed standard maintenance. on top of that, the compact line tends to be one of the best handling and most fun vehicles on the market. They screwed the pooch trying to make the 2019 Mazda 3 less sporty and more "normal".

At this point in life and servicing several friends' highly abused Hyundai's I am starting to form a high opinion of Hyundai also. People treat them like crap and they just keep running.

What's in a name lol. But yes one of my friends has had fantastic luck with a 09 mazda 6. I believe its a 3.7 and an automatic, bought it for around 5.5k two years ago with 100k miles and put 40k HARD miles on it since.

Well brands can change. Look at JCI batteries, sold and production moved to the middle east (I think). Not as good a brand as it once was.

Moog, at one time made in USA. Now the parts do not even come in a Moog box. Made in China or elsewhere. Not as good as when made in the USA.

Not especially except I want value for my dollar, perceived or real. There are brands I won't use or buy. Ford and Casstrol are two of them.

Having brand loyalty is a good way to get burned. In today's business world, it's common place for companies to give it their all until they've made a name for themselves and have built a loyal clientele, then rest on their reputation and start cutting corners to pad profits hoping none of their customers will notice...we as consumers must stay on our toes and constantly compare products to get the best value...

grampi speaks with knowledge.

I think Hyundai is bustin' it to build such a reputation and clientele.

I believe there are "no name" tires out there which are made by companies desiring the same thing. If established companies are worthy of loyalty, why do they offer such a spectrum of quality? You have to find the gems in every catalog of products.

Not loyal to one particular brand. I do categorize them into tiers, and I only buy at least the "trustworthy" tier of product.

I'm getting sort of loyal to Chevron. I spilled some techron the other day and before I could clean it up my chihuahua licked it and turned into a majestic pit bull.

Depends on what it is.
Vehicle related stuff-not so much.
Building related stuff-I use PPG paints on all of my rental units. Not only do I get a great discount (cheaper than the big box store), but the quality is always there. Throw some Breakthrough on a set of kitchen cabinets and they wear like iron. Blum cabinet hinges are second to none. Whenever an HVAC system is replaced I choose Lennox or Trane. I've never had problems with either brand. Roofing is always Owens Corning.

For vehicles I'm both a MOPAR and HyunKia fan.
For firearms I'm a Springfield and Taurus fan for Pistols and Revolvers, Savage for long guns.

Other than that, not really a loyalist to anything.
Seems a lot of people on here are now FRAM Ultra loyal though, I remember when it was mostly Purolator loyalists.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Seems a lot of people on here are now FRAM Ultra loyal though, I remember when it was mostly Purolator loyalists.

Pretty easy for anyone who has been here for 8+ years to see why guys who liked Purolator now like the Ultra.

I used to be partial to Pennzoil (PYB 10w30) when I joined here, but I haven't used any since about 2015 or so.. Not that it's a bad product, I've just bought other stuff for less money.

I do use Rotella though, but once again it was on sale and/ or had a rebate.

I joke that the only thing I'm biased against is tractors, but if I see another brand with a feature I like I'm certainly not ashamed to say I like it.

I prefer to buy Valvoline, Castrol, Amsoil, Chevron, or O'Reilly oil. I'll use Royal Purple if I get a good deal on it

Wix, Microgard, or ACDelco filters.

For vehicles, Ford or GM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back