Subaru Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zolton
Has anyone done over 100k on 20 weight w/o consumption?

Just wondering why somebody would wait until the engine started burning oil to switch to a better oil.

~120K now on our '12 Accord.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

Just wondering why somebody would wait until the engine started burning oil to switch to a better oil.

~120K now on our '12 Accord.

Tig1 would qualify I believe.

I have a 2014 2.5 Outback with 105K miles. Used various 0W20 since new with 7,500 mile OCIs. At most down 1/4 qt during oil change.

Also have a 2009 1.8 Toyota Corolla with 224K miles. Used PP 5W20 from 36K to 80K with 5K OCI (it had been a rental so don't know what was used the first 36K) then switched to 0W20 and a 7.5K OCI since then. Same results, at most down 1/4 qt. At the last oil change I went 8,800 miles since the previous OCI. I sent a sample to Blackstone and there were no indications of out of the ordinary wear.

As others have said the Wix 57055 is a good filter choice. It has a very high bypass pressure. Fram ultra filters well but bypass valve is too low for Subaru specs.

Again, if you are not consuming with 0w-20, stick with it.

Originally Posted by jqgz
As others have said the Wix 57055 is a good filter choice. It has a very high bypass pressure. Fram ultra filters well but bypass valve is too low for Subaru specs.

Are you aware of the fact that an oil filter with a higher flow rate can utilize a lower bypass spec? The 23psi bypass spec that applies to Subaru's OEM oil filter (a Fram Extra Guard in a blue can) applies to THAT specific filter because it is flow restrictive as compared to say a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra Synthetic oil filter.

The Wix filters have a higher bypass spec because the have an even lower flow rate than Subaru's OEM oil filter. It even states on Wix's website that they have a 10 gallons per minute max flow rate. Wix makes a great product but Fram has proven to produce oil filters that have a flow rate of at least 14.5 gallons per minute to meet Subaru's specs. Flow rate is near infinitely more important than a bypass spec.

This oft repeated misnomer that every oil filter used on a Subaru MUST have at least a 23psi bypass to function properly needs to go into the ash heap of history.

18.gif

Why then, do some engine burn oil on 20 weight?

Some engines burn 20W50. What's your point?

It would be so nice if the interwebz wasn't full of parrots that read one blog post written by somebody who didn't know what they were talking about in the first place, and then go and spew the spurious information over and over again. As was pointed out before, all of the issues with the EJ and FA engines have been dealt with and resolved numerous years ago.

OP, I'd use 0W20 and whatever filter floats your boat. On my mom's 18 Forester, this is whatever 0W20 is on sale, and a NAPA Gold 7055 filter. Because she's under warranty to 120k or 7 years, it makes no sense to stick a $9 Fram Ultra on for 6k OCIs when the 7055 is less than $4 and does a fine job. But after warranty is up, a Fram Ultra XG7317 is exactly what it's going to get, for at least 3 OCIs (20k total).

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

It would be so nice if the interwebz wasn't full of parrots that read one blog post written by somebody who didn't know what they were talking about in the first place, and then go and spew the spurious information over and over again. As was pointed out before, all of the issues with the EJ and FA engines have been dealt with and resolved numerous years ago.

OP, I'd use 0W20 and whatever filter floats your boat. On my mom's 18 Forester, this is whatever 0W20 is on sale, and a NAPA Gold 7055 filter. Because she's under warranty to 120k or 7 years, it makes no sense to stick a $9 Fram Ultra on for 6k OCIs when the 7055 is less than $4 and does a fine job. But after warranty is up, a Fram Ultra XG7317 is exactly what it's going to get, for at least 3 OCIs (20k total).

A bigger question is who was Zolton in his previous appearances here on BITOG?

Reincarnation. Different stage names, same ðŸ„💩

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

A bigger question is who was Zolton in his previous appearances here on BITOG?

Reincarnation. Different stage names, same ðŸ„💩

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

VVTi. in a FB. cant just put any grade in ...

I don't believe this is true. At 0*C ( 32*F ) and below, even an 0w20 oil is exponentially thicker than at operating temperatures. And the cars still run ...

For VVTi to work, the oil has to be able to be pumped. If it can, it works. If the oil can't be pumped, you have a bigger problem.

I got a friend with 143K on a 1998 Explorer that was speced for 5W-20. Another friend just broke the 100K mark on a 6.8L Mod V10 in a E250 camper. Still on 5W-20.

hahaha, what is it about BITOG that attracts these characters who come in and then reappear later under a new name?

And the previous poster here was right, at startup the oil is thick. Much thicker than the spec. Yet no damages?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ignatius

The Wix filters have a higher bypass spec because the have an even lower flow rate than Subaru's OEM oil filter. It even states on Wix's website that they have a 10 gallons per minute max flow rate. Wix makes a great product but Fram has proven to produce oil filters that have a flow rate of at least 14.5 gallons per minute to meet Subaru's specs. Flow rate is near infinitely more important than a bypass spec.

This oft repeated misnomer that every oil filter used on a Subaru MUST have at least a 23psi bypass to function properly needs to go into the ash heap of history.

18.gif

That's probably why the Chinese-made Ecogard 4615 has the high bypass spec and so is the PH9715 for the EJ20/EJ253s.

I stick to Subaru OEMs for the friend's car I maintain but I will also use the Toyota filter for the FR-S/FT-86 since it's slightly cheaper in my neck of the woods than a Fram and I can get a crush washer(it's a Subaru part with a Toyota label).

I'll install a FTG/FU if I have to.

Subaru is good with everything from 0W-20 to 15W-40. Use whatever makes you feel comfortable. These engines are unbelievable easy on oil.

Originally Posted by jqgz

Are you aware of the fact that an oil filter with a higher flow rate can utilize a lower bypass spec? The 23psi bypass spec that applies to Subaru's OEM oil filter (a Fram Extra Guard in a blue can) applies to THAT specific filter because it is flow restrictive as compared to say a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra Synthetic oil filter.

18.gif

On the surface, your attempt at justification makes sense. When you get into it, you will find no documentation to support your claim. All the major manufacturers go to the added cost of creating custom filters (Fram, Wix, EcoGard, PremiumGuard, etc.) for subaru engines. They have plenty of other filters that work for other vehicles that would work if what you said was true on the surface. It appears to be more complicated than what you are claiming.

Use a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter for best results, .
Use the OEM filter or a Wix 57055 due to the need for a high bypass valve pressure setting. An Ultra is very low pressure, not great here. That could be a thing with these engines.

Last edited:
Is it even possible to ever push 14.5 gallon of oil PER MINUTE through the oil circuit ... ? That is a HUGE volume, given the typical sizing of oil passages. And, can 14 gallons of oil per minute RETURN via only gravity to the oil pan that quick ?

The Subaru oil pump volume number has always seemed suspect to me. I seriously wonder if Subaru meant " quart ... ".

Last edited:

One might just as well ask why any threads involving the Subaru marque seem always to attract flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back