Low price on SuperTech Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Wal-Mart to pick up oil yesterday. ST Syn is $14.99 for the 5-quart jug. Unbelievable considering the Middle East oil situation and gas prices that are suddenly up.

Originally Posted by code5coupe
Went to Wal-Mart to pick up oil yesterday. ST Syn is $14.99 for the 5-quart jug. Unbelievable considering the Middle East oil situation and gas prices that are suddenly up.

Good price......and sitting right next to it was Quaker State Ultimate Durability for $2.98 more...…..
laugh.gif

Buy 6 jugs of ST Syn online for less than $13.50 a jug right now. Free shipping as well. Best bang for the buck I have seen in a long time.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Havoline ProDS 6 quart box all day $19.99 from WM, that's a better deal than ST IMO...

Just had four boxes of 10W30 delivered to my front door.

AmazonBasics 0w-20 is the same identical Warren oil, and it is $7 more per big jug. Walmart Bentonville hard negotiaters might be getting a better wholesale deal, or Amazon thinks they move enough oil to hook those addicted to Amazon delivery to charge the extra $$$.

Originally Posted by paoester
AmazonBasics 0w-20 is the same identical Warren oil, and it is $7 more per big jug. Walmart Bentonville hard negotiaters might be getting a better wholesale deal, or Amazon thinks they move enough oil to hook those addicted to Amazon delivery to charge the extra $$$.

Yeah, I don't get Amazon's pricing strategy on it's Basics. I would consider it if it were priced lower but where it currently sits ($19.99), I can get 6qts of ProDS for the same price.

I highly doubt the Amazon's buyers are any less shrewd than Walmarts and they are certainly capable of leveraging Amazon's size much like Walmarts buyers do...so who knows.

*Which has the lower NOACK : Super Tech or Havoline or ProDS ? Which ever is lower is what I would go with as I believe both are D1 / Gen 2 rated now ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Which has the lower NOACK : Super Tech or Havoline or ProDS ? Which ever is lower is what I would go with as I believe both are D1 / Gen 2 rated now ?

Dunno.. you'd have to search the forums and pqia to see if you can find an apples to apples. But I personally wouldn't chase NOACK..I'd look at TBN before noack or even VI or AW PKG before noack. For a functional cooling system and engine that isn't burning oil, a noack difference of a few pts is irrelevant IMO. But to each his own...

Last edited:
+1 Hatter... even though SN+ has pushed oils closer and closer together with less room for "wildcatting" an oil's makeup, I'd still take an oil known to have more AW and antioxidants over one with a slightly lower NOACK.

And ChrisD46, how about this: while it's not 100% bulletproof, lower NOACK generally seems to follow oils with LOWER viscosity index for a given oil grade. Which means that oils like ENEOS 0W20 Sustina, a darling of some here, has a higher relative NOACK with its 227VI vs. say some of the oils with VIs in the 170s, even if it is only 1-2% difference. It's all a balancing act when changing things in an oil, there is no free lunch. Since keeping metal parts apart is the primary concern when looking to prevent wear, NOACK is not going to help save your engine if the oil won't keep asperities from grinding each other into a fine metal slurry. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting points - I was under the impression that oils with a lower NOACK would generally be of higher quality make up over all ?
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
+1 Hatter... even though SN+ has pushed oils closer and closer together with less room for "wildcatting" an oil's makeup, I'd still take an oil known to have more AW and antioxidants over one with a slightly lower NOACK.

And ChrisD46, how about this: while it's not 100% bulletproof, lower NOACK generally seems to follow oils with LOWER viscosity index for a given oil grade. Which means that oils like ENEOS 0W20 Sustina, a darling of some here, has a higher relative NOACK with its 227VI vs. say some of the oils with VIs in the 170s, even if it is only 1-2% difference. It's all a balancing act when changing things in an oil, there is no free lunch. Since keeping metal parts apart is the primary concern when looking to prevent wear, NOACK is not going to help save your engine if the oil won't keep asperities from grinding each other into a fine metal slurry. Just my 2 cents.

I posed this in the promotions section a week ago and I think it's officially $14.37/jug

My old Saab 9000 has been fine on its diet of SuperTech 10W30 synthetic High Mileage oil. Picked up a jug today since an oil change is coming up soon. I don't recall the price to the penny but it was just under $15. Yes, I know I can get one of the leading brands for a few dollars more, but if ST does the job a buck is a buck as my old man used to say.

Interesting points - I was under the impression that oils with a lower NOACK would generally be of higher quality make up over all ?

You can't judge "best" or better by just one parameter.

Millions of cars have logged hundreds of millions of miles on 12 or 14% noack oil. If the oil meets the standard for volatility, you can sleep at night knowing that you're not doing any harm. The oil isn't going to thicken up to the point you have adverse effects like reduced flow.. you will get some reduction but nothing on the level to lose sleep over. In theory......‚

You might find this an interesting read..

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4341042/1

I was under the impression that oils with a lower NOACK would generally be of higher quality make up over all ?

Volatility depends on molecular structure so higher refined grp3 and grp4 base oils experience less volatility than say a grp1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back