Mobil delvac extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently went searching for a 10w30 full synthetic for my Kubota l3560 tractor. I had a hard time finding a full synthetic in this viscosity.I found Mobil delvac extreme online in a full synthetic. Found a distributer in Joplin who carried it. When it came in the mail it said semi synthetic. I called the distributer about it and they contacted Mobil. Mobil reclassified it as a full synthetic and has not changed the bottles yet. Mobil confirmed it to me personally. I thoughts this was very odd. Has anyone seen this before?

No, haven't seen it personally, but it seems believable (product upgraded but use up all the old bottles). I'd take Mobil's word on it.

Mobil did several plant upgrades to produce GII+ … so it likely has a some amount of GIII to enhance that a bit.
Bet it's a solid HDEO - has a good list of builder approvals and specs

Delvac 1 line is where they typically add some PAO.

Try Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40 or its hard to find little brother, 0W-40.
Advanced Auto has the 0W-40 on its web site...

That should be an HH164-32430 oil filter.
You can use a Fram PH8A or equivalent, same base, twice as long...

Yeah … golden nectar of BITOG with a NOACK that's beat by Delo and Delvac conventional at $12/jug

I really wanted to run the t6 5w40 but Kubota only recommends 10w30 for winter and I was not 100 percent sure that 5w would be safe to use. They also informed me it could void my warranty if I came up with a warranty issue by using a non approved viscosity.

You could choose from the following 10W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oils:

Rotella T5 10W-30
Mobil Delvac Super 1300 10W-30
Mobil Delvac Extreme 10W-30
Chevron Delo XLE 10W-30
Valvoline Blue 10W-30

I just use 15W-40 year around since I keep my L2501 in the garage and it doesn't get that cold in Arkansas - I feel better with the 'thicker' oil since I run the tractor at higher rpms than most, and it gets very hot here.

I am in Fulton Ks. It's been getting pretty cold with the polar vortex thing.I had the dealer install a engine block heater but I do not have a heated place to put the tractor.Its one of the reasons I bought it with a cab.

15w-40 is fine in your climate - especially with a block heater. I would go as far as saying that I would rather have 15W40 and a block heater in the cold than any 5W-40 by itself. I am not a thinnie oil 'believer'.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
15w-40 is fine in your climate - especially with a block heater. I would go as far as saying that I would rather have 15W40 and a block heater in the cold than any 5W-40 by itself. I am not a thinnie oil 'believer'.

Aren't they both 40-grade oils?

Definitely going to switch to a summer weight.Kubota gives the thumbs up to 10w30 all year around but I need more info before I run it 10w30 in the summer.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by tundraotto

Aren't they both 40-grade oils?

They are both 40-grade at 100°C.....and the one that has a 5W winter grade has much more friction modifiers etc. due to the 35 point span in grade, compared to 25 point span on the 15W40 The heavier base oils enable reduced wear compared to the lighter base oil 5W - if all other things are equal. I could not care less if I achieve 3% fuel savings on my tractor - I DO however want the best protection I can get when I am running the diesel engine flat-out under high load in 110°F heat in the summer.

Also - 5W-40 is not listed as an approved grade in the Kubota manual, only Straight 30 Weight, 10W-30, or 15W-40

ALSO HTHS number for same oil in the 2 discussed grades:
Chevron Delo 400 XLE SAE 10W-30 HTHS @ 150 �C by ASTM D4683 is > 2.9 mPa.s.
Chevron Delo 400 XLE SAE 15W-40 HTHS @ 150 �C by ASTM D4683 is > 4.2 mPa.s.

Last edited:
I'd run any name brand 15w40 with confidence. We recently traded off a 1982 John Deere 2940 that my Grandpa bought new. It had been ran on 15w40 conventional all of its life(usually JD Plus 50 or Plus 50 II, or Delo 400 if we didn't have any JD oil on hands). It still had the original engine with over 12,000 hours and the engine had never been opened up, not even the valve covers. It did burn a little oil towards the end (i'd guess 1 qt per 100-150 hours) but it was 36 years old and had done more hard work than most tractors will see in a lifetime. In the end it wasn't the engine that put that tractor out of commission, it was the weak hydraulics and a transmission seal that took out the clutch. It was used about 3-4 times per week up until the transmission/clutch issue and we decided to upgrade to a newer JD. It was bought by a JD dealer employee and fixed, it is still in service with that same engine and still going strong as far as I know.

Most tractors will have a diagram similar to the one on the page below that shows what weights are appropriate at different temperatures. I'm surprised that Kubota only allows for two viscosity grades.

If you're dead set on a synthetic oil, Rotella does have a T6 Synthetic 15w40 now. Rotella T6 15w40

I also looked up the manual for your tractor, it allows for 15w40 down to 14°F.

5E05E2A6-C5A6-48B2-B97C-ED358E9C110F.png

E9C9A82B-7516-4BE2-BC90-97FEF72CEC95.jpeg

52F9A3ED-3A61-486C-9CF1-67A2AFD71CDD.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back