Can different oil affect exhaust smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flame suit on.

Normally I run MC blend 5w20 in my 2013 F150 5.0 with 62k.

Changed to the Havoline I had sitting around (red bottle HM) 5w20 and after about 500 miles the exhaust just smells strong.

Not like gas, sulfur or anything I can pinpoint.
No codes. No idle or running issues.
Just strong.

Is it the oil or NY winter fuel? 93 octane with OZ Omega tune.

Last edited:
Yes it can. Of course, it makes more sense if you're burning oil, as Rod pointed out.

I have an oil separator.
Emptied at oil change but should check it again.
Didn't have much when I emptied it but that was a different oil.

PCV valve is new and seemed to be working. Good idea though.

If you are able to smell the difference (of motor oil brand/type) from the exhaust, then you have a genuine mechanical issue (engine burning or passing oil into exhaust).

Originally Posted by rsylvstr
Flame suit on.

Normally I run MC blend 5w20 in my 2013 F150 5.0 with 62k.

Changed to the Havoline I had sitting around (red bottle HM) 5w20 and after about 500 miles the exhaust just smells strong.

Not like gas, sulfur or anything I can pinpoint.
No codes. No idle or running issues.
Just strong.

Is it the oil or NY winter fuel? 93 octane with OZ Omega tune.

Either in your head (you all of a sudden became more sensitive to exhaust smell) or possibly the winter gas if you really are that sensitive to smell.

I can't smell a difference and I drive old carbureted v8s. One that was leaking like crazy from the valve cover gaskets. It smelled like oil no matter what. Maybe some people sharper than I could smell the difference from one to the other, but that was an extreme case, oil leaking directly into the manifolds.

I haven't ever noticed a difference in the exhaust smell, but I have noticed a diesel engine smell different after changing the oil. I pointed it out to my coworker and he said John Deere oil had a strong smell like that too. The smell must have been coming out through the crankcase vent even though it was a closed system.

A lot of people claim Rotella makes their diesels stink. Might only apply to DPF regens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back