Bicycle friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your town bicycle friendly....example, do streets downtown allow bike riding, and are they marked so you can ride safely..

I would say that, it's good but, maybe not as good as other cities around the country.

We have some marked roads and some nice trails as well. My bike route is only OK but this is my choice for where I ride.

I also don't put my bike on a bike rack attached to my vehicle and drive to specific routes or trails. I just jump on my bike from home and start riding between 15-20 miles daily when weather permits.

I do have F&R lighting & mirrors and wear proper PPE & clothing.

Last edited:
Nope. While someone could ride on any street the chances of survival on a bicycle are pretty low. None of the bike lanes nonsense that only works to slow everyone down.

My area is mixed. The difficulty is that trails and lanes are not usually contiguous, so you can end up in unpleasant situations on busy roads trying to stitch things together.

I have a two mile ride to connect to a 100+ mile rails to trails network. I live at the edge of town, so not much traffic. About half of the two mile ride is on roads with dedicated bike lanes.

I live in a community of about 25k that is a suburb of St Louis.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Is your town bicycle friendly....example, do streets downtown allow bike riding, and are they marked so you can ride safely..

In Calgary, there is an extensive system of bike paths including dedicated bike lanes downtown. They even snow plow the bike paths and bike lanes in the winter for the diehards.
smile.gif

Denver suburbs are definitely not. Downtown not so much either.

Originally Posted by CT8
Drivers with Cell phones are as dangerous as drunk drivers.

More (based on BAC). They're not trying, nor are they paying attention.

Last edited:
It has been proven that towns that are bike friendly increase business and folks get outside more and rediscover living again...

Originally Posted by CourierDriver

My understanding is that bicycles are allowed on most US roads that are not limited access (ie interstates, turnpikes, expressways, etc.) even in crowded downtown urban areas. Bike lanes on these US roads are another story.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
In Calgary, there is an extensive system of bike paths including dedicated bike lanes downtown. They even snow plow the bike paths and bike lanes in the winter for the diehards.
smile.gif

Same in Toronto. It makes sense downtown but as they slowly creep into areas with less traffic density it causes traffic congestion. They have even removed a lane of traffic along a very busy street (Woodbine ave.) to maintain street parking and a bike lane.

I used to live downtown and commute to work on a bike, bike lanes are for people who are either too scared or lack the awareness to ride with traffic. They make everyone's commute longer so a handful of people (who drive to work) can virtue signal.

Originally Posted by CT8

... as are the coal rollin' peckerwoods who think it is 'cool' to blast you with their choking fumes...

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by CT8

... as are the coal rollin' peckerwoods who think it is 'cool' to blast you with their choking fumes...

I'd rather get hit with rollin' coal than hit with a car by a drunk or texting driver any day of the week.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by CT8

I'd rather get hit with rollin' coal than hit with a car by a drunk or texting driver any day of the week.

TRUE, but when the ****billies get as close as they can to you (which is TOO close), in order for their asinine display of 'manly' ridicule to have it's MAX effect, it can get serious.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Nope. While someone could ride on any street the chances of survival on a bicycle are pretty low. None of the bike lanes nonsense that only works to slow everyone down.

You are a classic old grouchy man. Especially with words like "nonsense".

Bike lanes are mixed around here, its tough because our roads are narrow/windy generally in New England. I got hit as a freshmen in college and too chicken to ride still on road.

I live in an area where most towns are 2,000 people and less. Roads are windy, hilly, and narrow. I've found that 30mph and down roads are just fine to bike on; traffic is light enough that they can get around with without issue. Some of the high speed (50+ mph) roads are just fine as they might have good sized shoulders. But some roads are awful, you know the sort, where there is the white line and maybe an inch of paved shoulder. Those can be dicey!

Next up is road condition. Potholes are bad but so are long vertical cracks. People can die from dropping a wheel into a seam...

Anyhow, no bike lanes where I live (that I know of) although there are some rail trails which are nice. I find it bike friendly enough.

I do a bit of riding while at work and manage to stick mostly to backroads, and it's fine. Manchester has some bike lanes but for the most part I avoid them 'cuz they just aren't where I go. I do avoid the city proper, it'd be fine off peak auto hours but during rush hour... I wouldn't want to be there. Don't like being there as it is in my car!

I live in a terrible biking town. There are few bike lanes and the ones we have don't join up. They also disappear when you get to an intersection. California has so many bike friendly communities. It was the only place I have ever felt safe on a bike.

Where I live, the road that I need to take to get to the railroad station has Bike Route signs posted. It has sort of a bike lane painted on the right that varies from 3 feet wide to ten inches wide in some spots. There are almost no street lights. I'm positive this was done as some afterthought. I use it but it's scary in the wee morning hours. I have a really bright blinky light on my helmet.
Not exactly what I consider bike friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back