2010 Dodge Grand caravan coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am replacing the y fitting for the heater hoses that has developed a crack and lost most of the coolant. I have a bunch of conventional green coolant on hand. Would this be ok in this vehicle that calls for a hoat type coolant? I would flush it out first. I know the service life is shorter as well.

For the work of flushing it despite the already lost coolant, I would just recommend adding another hoat into it.

Go to the dealer and get the pink/red 100,000 mile Mopar coolant for it. Why ask for problems down the road over a few dollars? The Mopar coolant is notorious for turning to sludge if cross contaminated. Tread lightly.

Asking for problems going down the flush road, I just change it in my Jeep, read to many stories about flushing dislodging crap or causing a block for that matter with the cooling system and the HOAT/OAT stuff.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Go to the dealer and get the pink/red 100,000 mile Mopar coolant for it. Why ask for problems down the road over a few dollars? The Mopar coolant is notorious for turning to sludge if cross contaminated. Tread lightly.

+1

I'd go to the dealer too, or at least find something "compatible".

Is this the original fluid? If so then I'd just chalk the cost up to routine maintenance. A cooling system flush once in a while is still a good thing, last I knew of.

Dance with the one that brung ya.

I've run nothing but HOAT Mopar coolant in my Jeep for its entire 135k miles. It has only been changed twice and has not been flushed. It has about 135k miles on it now and the coolant has always looked good and tested as it should. I've had no issues and it cools as well as ever under the harshest conditions (summer heat and towing). I think the first change was around 60k miles and then it was changed again around 100k or so when it sprung a heater hose leak. It'll be replaced again when the water pump, which appears to be running fine right now, finally fails. So, the only change that was done for the purpose of cooling system maintenance was the first one.

I've never even been tempted to cross-contaminate with a non-HOAT coolant. (Remember, Zerex G-05 is HOAT and I believe is exactly the same as Mopar except for the color. If I ever did it myself, I'd probably go with the Zerex because I can get it more conveniently.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back