Are Some of You OCI Fanatics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
earlyre said:
not exactly me anymore, but i've see this one around before..:
[Linked Image from weknowmemes.com]

Change that to 5000 and I'm Hank Hill. I tell you hwhat

I like 10k miles if the vehicle can handle it. First I drive a lot so I don't want to change oil every month. Second is I don't want to waste money and resources. I have not seen credible evidence that changes at 3k extend the usable life of a vehicle.

Originally Posted by code5coupe
I am. Every 5K miles. Every car, SUV, and truck.

*I am now on the 5K mile OCI as between short tripping and GDI engines - TBN at the end of an OCI doesn't tell the whole story I believe (and that goes double for EP synthetics from M1 and Castrol) ... When a synthetic oil reaches 5K to 6K miles with dirt , blow by , used additives , etc.continually circulated - no matter the TBN I think it's a good idea to dump it and stick to 5K to 6K mile OCI's max on vehicles you plan to drive until the wheels fall off . If you only plan to keep a vehicle a few years then go ahead and run synthetic up to 7.5K to 10K miles ... I just think a 5K to 6K OCI with a good oil and filter is the sweet spot for lowest wear / cleanest engine internals (your mileage may vary) .

I did not even wait for 3K miles on some of the OCIs on this car (and I now exclusively use only PAO/POE base stock oils no less!), which YES, is a waste, even given a turbo DI engine which is short tripped often.

This current fill of Ravenol REP 5W-30 I am 'risking'
After that it will get some Ravenol DFE 0W-20 (with possibly a liter of the 5W-30 REP thrown in to bring up that HTHSV slightly
27.gif
) in the beginning of November, for the winter OCI.
wink.gif

I have 9K on this OCI and will be driving to Wisconsin this weekend for 9 days. Will change when I get home.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I am. I do oil changes on my cars and family member cars every 6 months regardless of miles.

I do the same every 6 months since I retired. We don't drive all that much, so I just do it in the spring and the fall, when the temps are mild. Last week I did all three vehicles, and it took me just a bit over 2-1/2 hours start to finish. (A little longer than normal because I was screwing around with some new ramps I had bought).

I don't trust the meatballs at the Quick Lube places, (especially now that I'm hearing they're using suck machines instead of draining it), and I get the oil and filters cheap enough at Wal-Mart, so it's not a big deal.

Not only that, but my wife and I have this deal that, I'm the "maintainer", and she's the "cleaner", with both the house, as well as the cars. She can't change oil, and I'm not big on washing and vacuuming interiors. So it works out well. My cars are always as spotless as the oil in the crankcase.

Well i'm not retired nor do i have a wife but i still enjoy doing the little stuff with my cars. I used to do engine rebuilds and turbo installs in my driveway with my friends but i am getting older so those days are done. I just wanna enjoy my cars. But oil changes are so easy i don't mind doing. And i LOVE detailing cars. One of my hobbies. So i don't mind washing, wax, vacuuming my cars every weekend.

10k mile OCI for the fleet (5 vehicles) except the beater truck which gets 5k mile OCI and only goes 2k miles per year. Mobil 1 or Rotella full synthetics. 0w-40 or 5w-40.

Update : I brought my two 5 qt NAPA 5w20 Syn Blend jugs back for a refund.

NAPA is excellent motor oil but I think I'm going to run Havoline in the 6 quart box. I bought a box of it in 5w20.

I haven't changed my oil yet and am still running NAPA 5w/20 SB. There's a good chance I won't do an OCI until March but I'm pretty sure I'm going to run Havoline in the box from now on. I might as well run the NAPA until it's been in for 6 months. I can't see throwing away good oil unless I really have to do an OCI.
I may get a box of Havoline ProDS and make a Havoline blend with it and conv Havoline. I can get almost 3 OCIs out of 2 boxes. I'll top it off with some PYB and NAPA I have left over.

Well, I just changed my oil on my toyota sienna (2008) after 22,000 miles. It now has 327,238 miles on it. The factory oci is 5,000 miles. After the warranty was over,I started to run longer oci's. I first went to 11,000 miles and sent in a sample to Blackstone labs in Fort Wayne, IN. I have sent in more samples and now I went to 22,000 miles. They said I could go 23,000 miles but I changed the oil at 325,000 miles and will now settle in at 20,000 miles. I use Mobile 1 ep 5w-30 and the van does not use any oil that I can tell. The dipstick is always at the full mark. Anyway some of use change the oil sooner than some of the rest of us! I have a friend who changed his oil on a toyota celica ( 2001) after 5 years! He drove his car 3,000 miles per year, he used a mobil one oil filter, and mobile one 5w-30 ep oil. The car has a little over 50,000 miles on it and it runs just fine. I think both he and I get our money's worth with how we use our oil. He drives 20 miles to work each way and his car always gets to operating temp. I drive a little over 25 miles each way to work and also get to operating temp each day also. I use the fram ultra oil filter. To each their own!! Bill

95% of my trips get the engine to normal operating temperature +15 minutes... often +30 minutes, or more.
So I can justify servicing once per year or 7500 miles on synthetic oil, whichever comes first.

I wouldn't call myself a fanatic, but I have been doing it so long I'm having a hard time not doing it even with disabling PHN(damaged nerves from shingles).

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Changing my car's oil is a religious experience...

Some of us are sicker than others.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Changing my car's oil is a religious experience...

Some of us are sicker than others.

You could say that again.
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back