cpo 2017 acura rdx?

for those of you who have direct experience with the acura rdx, can you discuss the timing belt issue? i tend to keep my cars awhile and prefer not to have this significant maintenance expense staring at me. thanks.

Originally Posted by jstert
for those of you who have direct experience with the acura rdx, can you discuss the timing belt issue? i tend to keep my cars awhile and prefer not to have this significant maintenance expense staring at me. thanks.

We had an MDX with J series V6 engine. As long as you know going in you shouldn't be surprised that when you hit 100k miles you have a recommended service that will cost you $800-900. Many DIYers do this successfully for a lot less, a dealership will have it done in less than a day. The engine was refined, powerful, and relatively fuel efficient so I wasn't upset about keeping it running at its peak.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Originally Posted by jstert

We had an MDX with J series V6 engine. As long as you know going in you shouldn't be surprised that when you hit 100k miles you have a recommended service that will cost you $800-900. Many DIYers do this successfully for a lot less, a dealership will have it done in less than a day. The engine was refined, powerful, and relatively fuel efficient so I wasn't upset about keeping it running at its peak.

In this area, market price for the timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, hydraulic tensioner and spark plugs totals about $2500 at a dealership.

That must be for timing belt, water pump and tensioner only. Valve Adjustment runs around 400 at dealer and plugs probably couple of hundred (complete ripoff)

^ WOW! Ours was $900 (albeit with a coupon) from the Acura dealer.

Originally Posted by Vikas
That must be for timing belt, water pump and tensioner only. Valve Adjustment runs around 400 at dealer and plugs probably couple of hundred (complete ripoff)

Sounds like the price is for the timing belt, w/p and drive belt only. Valve adjustment runs another $5-$600 and they usually try to get another $400 for the plugs.

Zolton let's use our brains here. Actual reliability is not in the toilet. Infotainment issues (which sometimes are just the user not knowing how to use it) are known to have polluted several reliability metrics.

My parents are now on their second 2G RDX. They absolutely love both of them and have had no reliability issues to speak of. The only things they've needed over a total of 5 years of ownership so far is a piece of exterior windshield trim replaced and a rear wiper arm replaced.

Yeah because anecdotal evidence is so much more credible than J.D.Powers.

Originally Posted by Toros
IMO, credibility and JD Powers should not be used in the same sentance.

Originally Posted by wag123

But its still a better source than personal opinions and anecdotes.

But isn't that where JD Power obtains it's data?

From the JD Power website:

How does J.D. Power conduct its research?
J.D. Power surveys consumers and business customers by mail, telephone, and e-mail. We go to great lengths to make sure that these respondents are chosen at random and that they actually have experience with the product or company they are rating. For example, ratings for the Lexus IS come from people who actually own one. As a result, J.D. Power ratings are based entirely on consumer opinions and perceptions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Inked

But isn't that where JD Power obtains it's data?

From the JD Power website:

How does J.D. Power conduct its research?
J.D. Power surveys consumers and business customers by mail, telephone, and e-mail. We go to great lengths to make sure that these respondents are chosen at random and that they actually have experience with the product or company they are rating. For example, ratings for the Lexus IS come from people who actually own one. As a result, J.D. Power ratings are based entirely on consumer opinions and perceptions.

It's a bit more sophisticated than " this car is great because my uncle had one and drove it for 150,000 miles in 5 years and loved it". Reported issues, recalls and other statistical data from thousands of end users.

They are 100% paid/supported by the corporations that hire them. Their surveys are tainted/biased and they make-up bogus awards that their clients can use in their advertising. Personally, I don't give any weight to making a buying decision based on anything that they say. If you have ever taken a course on statistics you would know that surveys can be structured in such a way that the results can support any conclusion.

They are 100% paid/supported by the corporations that hire them. Their surveys are tainted/biased and they make-up bogus awards that their clients can use in their advertising. Personally, I don't give any weight to making a buying decision based on anything that they say. If you have ever taken a course on statistics you would know that surveys can be structured in such a way that the results can support any conclusion.

But its still a better source than personal opinions and anecdotes

Consumer Reports and JD Power work for me along with some critical thinking. I even enjoy listening to the CR Talking Cars podcast.

Consumer Reports provides good reviews and careful if general automotive advice when making their vehicle recommendations, which makes sense as they are paid by their subscribers. They are a good place to start when looking for a new car. JD power is more of a "fluffer" for new products in the auto industry.

US News and World Report auto ratings.

I was already questioning a couple of your responses. You do realize that they don't test any cars, right? They have people interpret other professional reviews and then establish rankings based on those interpretations.

Back