Amazed at the cost of insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I use an agent/broker, he shops about 20 places for me.

Currently with Progressive through that broker. $105 per month for two cars full coverage, and $515/year for house.

USAA was the most expensive for me the last time I shopped around. They wanted $230/month for full coverage on 2 vehicles while Statefarm and Allstate offered $130-140.

Originally Posted by Audios
Youve always gotta shop it, insurnace companies show no loyalty. I had Liberty Mutual for 10 years, every year 20-50$ increase even though Ive never had an accident. I said I was switching because of savings, and they didnt even try to retain me.

Same here -- 29 year State Farm policyholder and rates creeping up every year even though vehicles had less worth. Then they said they would not renew the rental home property....shopped around and got the same coverage for less elsewhere. They didn't blink an eye about letting me go, no effort at retention.

Agree with comments about phones and increases...

OP, try adding a teen driver....$$$$$$

I am friends with 2 agents.. and they are among the richest people i know... literally money to burn.

i wish someone would have told me that in high school or college.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Look into Erie Insurance if available in your state.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

had them as long as i've been driving..
Full coverage, ~$500/yr. couple years back (2014?maybe '15?) it was $386.

of course,that being said, at age 40, I'm still at home, and I'm a 3rd driver/vehicle on their insurance, and they also have their homeowners with Erie. and we pay the full year up front. so there's some discounting going for sure.

Last edited:
No tickets or accidents, just a hail claim on the GMC in 2017. Safeco: $3,620 annually for the cars in my signature.

Shopping around last year was a joke. Allstate and State farm, in particular, are smoking crack with their prices. I could lower my coverage to state minimums, but cars and hospital bills are so expensive, I've elected to remain protected.

$500 Deductible, $50 day rental car, 300,000 other driver liability, $100,000 other vehicle liability, $300,000 uninsured motorist.

I may find an agent to do my shopping for me, but they need to also include my homeowner policy so I can get that discount.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
No tickets or accidents, just a hail claim on the GMC in 2017. Safeco: $3,620 annually for the cars in my signature.

Shopping around last year was a joke. Allstate and State farm, in particular, are smoking crack with their prices. I could lower my coverage to state minimums, but cars and hospital bills are so expensive, I've elected to remain protected.

$500 Deductible, $50 day rental car, 300,000 other driver liability, $100,000 other vehicle liability, $300,000 uninsured motorist.

I may find an agent to do my shopping for me, but they need to also include my homeowner policy so I can get that discount.

Yeah, try to roll in your homeowner, there may be discounts for that. Also try raising your deductible up to $1k. Finally split out the costs per vehicle. If one of them has "ridiculous" collision then perhaps it's time to drop collision on that vehicle--or to change vehicles (granted I don't see that as the likely case, going from your sig line, but I'm stating it for the general case). For my wife and I, I wanted to drop collision on her car but it was like a couple hundred bucks per year to have, so I relented for one more year. I think next year I'll drop it finally (it'll be well past 200k and it's already not worth much).

Had USAA for years, then all of a sudden...BAM...they went sky high. Went with Farm Bureau for a while, but then they started a new policy that you had to have your house with them and all your cars or they'd drop you. So...I dropped them. Wow, ya'lls prices are all over the board. I settled on State Farm after learning a lot about coverages. Especially here in tornado alley. I'm paying about 300 a month for all vehicles below, house and boat. 100/300 on the all the cars with roadside assistance on the ones past warranty date, house with earthquake insurance (learned a lot about that..."regular" policies do not cover for earthquakes and only about 50 bucks a year to include), house insured for about 250K total and then boat....100K on that.

Originally Posted by ram_man
I have had root insurance for about a year. My premium for 3 vehicles was 114 then at 6 months it went to $128. Now at a year they want $208.
I priced a few other companies and they want in some instances 300-500 a month. That's insane. Has everyone experienced a dramatic price increase. I have two accidents on my record which I'm sure doesn't help but they are 2 and 3 years old . I had them when I signed up with root so that shouldn't be the sudden change.

Wait. $208 a month or $208 for six months?

If the latter, I want to move where you are! Lousyana has the highest rates in the country, and I, an older driver with a good record and a not particularly sporty or frequently-stolen car, am paying about $150/month.

Loyalty helps at Progressive. They add (one or two) accident forgiveness at certain amount of years.

I stay because it's easy and $900 is whatever once a year.

Auto insurance did not go up here in Colorado Springs as home insurance did after that hail storm in 2016. Now home insurance companies calculate hail deductible as % of dwelling. Basically deductible today for hail damage is more expensive than paying out of pocket for new roof.

I dunno. With $40k vehicles running all over the place and the cost of repairing humans now, it's expected to be higher than it used to be.

To me, insurance should be expensive at the beginning and then decline as you move on. Why am I paying just a little less than someone with recent claims when I haven't had a claim in 15 years?
21.gif

I've been with USAA for at least the last 20 years. This spring my wife was involved in an at fault accident that totaled out our van and the vehicle she hit. At that point, I also doubled and/or tripled our amount of coverages (liability, property damage, medical, etc.) and our premiums actually went down. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I was very happy our rates went down instead of up...

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I'm also amazed at how much body damage costs to repair.

Now days, if the repair requires more than just a quarter panel, the vehicle will likely be totaled...the cost of body and paint work is beyond ridiculous...

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Amazed at the cost of insurance... 2 accidents within the past three years ???

Yea my only two wrecks ever. First was I was driving at night had a seizure and hit a guard rail. That was my first seizure and when I discovered I had a brain tumor. The second one was my fault entirely I was leaving parking spot and there were cars everywhere and a dumpers in front of me about 15 feet away then a truck parked on the other side of the dumpster as I went to leave it was cramped and I hit the curb with the rocker panel. Was literally doing 1 mph and was still on the clutch but it was 2,700 worth of damage. So yes the only two wrecks on my record are in the last 3 years.

Sorry if this comes across negative but after three pages you then disclose the fact you have a seizure disorder? Now you question the insurance rates?

I do hope your seizures are under control but the insurance companies will see this as added risk and consider that in their premium rate.

It's the same with life insurance. Risky activities like hang gliding and sky diving add risk. That is the way it goes.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Sorry if this comes across negative but after three pages you then disclose the fact you have a seizure disorder? Now you question the insurance rates?

I do hope your seizures are under control but the insurance companies will see this as added risk and consider that in their premium rate.

It's the same with life insurance. Risky activities like hang gliding and sky diving add risk. That is the way it goes.

The insurance isn't aware I have a "seizure disorder"
Also that's a very poor term. I had a brain tumor that caused a host of concerns I no longer have the brain tumor. So even if they did know it's no longer even an issue. I have never had my license taken or any of that for it either. I was lucky in that regard.

I suppose the high cost of insurance is just another example of givers and takers in society.

I've been hit by a few drunk degenerates with no license / no insurance / no job, etc.. in their $500 dollar car.

Literally causing more financial damage in a matter of seconds than they can ever produce in their lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back