Torn between PP and M1 GM 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the first oil change (under my care) coming up soon on my parents 2017 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. I am trying to decide between PP 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30. Both are Dexos rated, I am just not sure if one fits this application better than the other. I know earlier versions of this 2.4 had issues with excessive oil burn and timing chain issues, so I want to feed it the best oil. I haven't used Mobil 1 in years but I am sure it is still a solid choice. Oil changes will be performed in 5K mile intervals.

Either will be fine
smile.gif

Any d1g2 will be good for 5k or when the OLM says to change it

I agree with the guys here... Either one certainly will be fine.

Or if it takes say 5 and a half qts... Maybe a Havoline Pro DS 5w30 box...

A good synthetic Dexos at 5K intervals is about all you can do. The addition of DI to the Ecotech didn't help at all! The run-of-the-mill 2.2L port injected engine didn't like extended drains.

The supercharged 2.0L LSJ Ecotech called for Mobil 1 5w30 from the factory, And almost seem immune to timing chain failures. The robust oil cooler & the fact owners actually take care of them surely played a role!

I buy both when they're on sale, or when there's a rebate. All my cars are switched back and forth between M1 and PP as I work my way through my stash. They will both protect and clean well, so put on a blindfold and pick one.

Originally Posted by volk06
The only reasonable solution is to not buy either and go for the castrol edge.

...‚...‚...‚.. sounds legit!

Either one - even Supertech Syn (which is Dexos) will serve you well for 5k miles.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

only bitog people can actually think it makes sense 🤣

Originally Posted by avi1777
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

only bitog people can actually think it makes sense 🤣

Right!ðŸ‘...‚

*If timing chain protection is a concern then of course D1 / gen 2 specs cover that ... I believe M1 is a little thicker 5W30 synthetic oil than PP , so I would run M1 5W30 in the Spring / Summer then transition to thinner 5W30 PP for Fall / Winter ... Yes this is over thinking but this way you can use both at 5K ~ 6K mile intervals and get the best from both .

So should I go with the Edge or the Magnatec?

Originally Posted by ls973800

So should I go with the Edge or the Magnatec?

LOL you're just making my sides ache.
Trolling.gif
hooked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back