Which ATF+4 Would You Choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are all on the FCA approved list and they are (more or less) the same price from various outlets (I am including tax and shipping as applicable), but price notwithstanding, which would you choose?

Castrol Transmax ATF+4®
Mobil ATF+4®
Pennzoil Platinum ATF+4®
Ravenol ATF+4®
Valvoline ATF+4®

I used Castrol in my 2012 Ram transmission and power steering, and for the power steering on my '92 and old '99 Dakotas. It was the cheapest locally and no issues arose.

All ATF+4 fluids have to use similar add packs and base oils, I really don't think there's a difference. Although Castrol ATF is hard to beat, generally.

I use Castrol, I was able to get deals on it making it the least expensive choice for me. As mentioned chemically they're all the same, so grab the least expensive one you can find.

All they all synthetic? I see some that call it out and others do not.

Whichever is the best price
smile.gif

I'd use the ST ATF+4, which is licensed.

All licensed ATF+4 is the same because of Chrysler's overly strict policy regarding licensing. If your car is still under warranty, use the cheapest ATF+4 on Chrysler's list. Otherwise, Redline C+

You may also want an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug, if you don't already have one or the original pan has no drain plug

Originally Posted by Danno
No Mopar OE fluid on the list?

Yes; but it was not one of the fluids that I would consider.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Chemically they are all the same. Which is cheapest?

This!

Buy on price and availability.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif
All licensed ATF+4 is the same because of Chrysler's overly strict policy regarding licensing.

I wish every manufacturer followed this model. You can buy an OEM approved, quality guaranteed fluid from many aftermarket companies at a very reasonable price.

It's nothing like the Hyundai/Kia atf situation where there is only one or two OEM approved choices at approximately $18 +/- per quart. This causes many to use products like Maxlife ATF that are "recommended for" but not OEM approved.

Kudos for Chrysler doing at least one thing right.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif
All licensed ATF+4 is the same because of Chrysler's overly strict policy regarding licensing.

I wish every manufacturer followed this model. You can buy an OEM approved, quality guaranteed fluid from many aftermarket companies at a very reasonable price.

It's nothing like the Hyundai/Kia atf situation where there is only one or two OEM approved choices at approximately $18 +/- per quart. This causes many to use products like Maxlife ATF that are "recommended for" but not OEM approved.

Kudos for Chrysler doing at least one thing right.

If it's a Chrysler built transmission then it would make sense because they theoretically are on the hook for warranty replacements and M&M prevents them from only recommending a MOPAR product.

When I changed the Trans fluid on My Ram 2500 last year, the cheapest I could find was the Valvoline ATF+4 at Walmart, the Supertec ATF+4 was a bit cheaper but I chose the Valvoline.

I went with Ravenol (found it online at about $10 per quart shipped to the door).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back