Recent Topics
Date code on Mighty Engine Guard II? Air Filter
by blufeb95 - 06/05/20 01:01 AM
My poor Jetta can't catch a break.
by FordBroncoVWJeta - 06/05/20 12:22 AM
Bought a truck finally, warning no Ford content
by bdcardinal - 06/04/20 11:31 PM
Got a septoplasty today....
by daves66nova - 06/04/20 10:44 PM
2020 330i xDrive Loaner
by MCompact - 06/04/20 10:02 PM
Appliance repair?
by motor_oil_madman - 06/04/20 09:44 PM
Glad we got a seasonal RV site
by Pat in Speedway - 06/04/20 09:19 PM
Mobil 1 AP Clearance at Wal-Mart
by KeithS_NW_Ohio - 06/04/20 09:07 PM
Recent experience with a Michelin Defender
by FordSVTGuy - 06/04/20 08:46 PM
music quality of speakers in the 70's vs now
by raaizin - 06/04/20 08:15 PM
pressure washer care
by raaizin - 06/04/20 08:06 PM
Watch Forums?
by maverickfhs - 06/04/20 07:53 PM
Who has a media/sand blast cabinet?
by spasm3 - 06/04/20 07:39 PM
Why isn't Polyethylene Glycol standard?
by RamFan - 06/04/20 06:37 PM
Motorcraft GF-6 at Quick Lane.
by Gene K - 06/04/20 06:29 PM
OEM Honda wiper blade curvature
by mclasser - 06/04/20 06:24 PM
GDI vs. MPFI OCI's
by LubricatusObsess - 06/04/20 06:19 PM
Mobil “full synthetic”
by 53' Stude - 06/04/20 06:01 PM
1992 Ford Ranger Brake Fluid Type
by yeehaw1960 - 06/04/20 04:21 PM
Of 0w-20 oils, which have highest VI
by Bill_W - 06/04/20 03:44 PM
Newest Members
stubby73, Polkaman, Ramboagain, tekfire07, Kernal
71608 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (dishdude, bfleeman, blufeb95, ArrestMeRedZ, daves87rs, E365, 3 invisible), 957 guests, and 42 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,228
Posts5,288,608
Members71,608
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Low price on SuperTech Synthetic #5233573 10/08/19 06:40 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 75
C
code5coupe Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 75
Went to Wal-Mart to pick up oil yesterday. ST Syn is $14.99 for the 5-quart jug. Unbelievable considering the Middle East oil situation and gas prices that are suddenly up.


1996 Corvette LT4
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT
1987 VW Scirocco 16V
Misc others , including four 4-wheel drives
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233583 10/08/19 06:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 392
I
incognito_2u Offline
Offline
I
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by code5coupe
Went to Wal-Mart to pick up oil yesterday. ST Syn is $14.99 for the 5-quart jug. Unbelievable considering the Middle East oil situation and gas prices that are suddenly up.

Good price......and sitting right next to it was Quaker State Ultimate Durability for $2.98 more...….. laugh


2006 Jeep Commander 3.7 V6 -116k (M1EP5W30/XG3600)
2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8 VVTi -88k (M1EP5W30/XG3600)
1999 Toyota Corolla 1.8 -92k (PUP5W30/XG4386)
1998 Toyota Corolla 1.8 -68k (VME5W30/XG3600)
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233596 10/08/19 07:11 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,862
J
Jimzz Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,862
Buy 6 jugs of ST Syn online for less than $13.50 a jug right now. Free shipping as well. Best bang for the buck I have seen in a long time.


yup
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233626 10/08/19 07:49 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,929
SubieRubyRoo Offline
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,929
Havoline ProDS 6 quart box all day $19.99 from WM, that's a better deal than ST IMO...


De omnibus dubitandum.
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: SubieRubyRoo] #5233642 10/08/19 08:04 AM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,051
S
Sierra048 Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,051
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Havoline ProDS 6 quart box all day $19.99 from WM, that's a better deal than ST IMO...


Just had four boxes of 10W30 delivered to my front door.


2014 Nissan Frontier
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233682 10/08/19 08:50 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 317
I
Ignatius Offline
Offline
I
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 317
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...l-supertech-fs-down-to-14-37#Post5226186

Old news and this thread should be in the promotions forum?


2018 Subaru Outback Limited - 95,000 miles
2018 Subaru Outback Premium - 37,000 miles
2012 Hyundai Accent GLS - 103,000 miles
2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 - 168,000 miles
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233715 10/08/19 09:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 643
P
paoester Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 643
AmazonBasics 0w-20 is the same identical Warren oil, and it is $7 more per big jug. Walmart Bentonville hard negotiaters might be getting a better wholesale deal, or Amazon thinks they move enough oil to hook those addicted to Amazon delivery to charge the extra $$$.

Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: paoester] #5233741 10/08/19 10:43 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 4,214
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 4,214
Originally Posted by paoester
AmazonBasics 0w-20 is the same identical Warren oil, and it is $7 more per big jug. Walmart Bentonville hard negotiaters might be getting a better wholesale deal, or Amazon thinks they move enough oil to hook those addicted to Amazon delivery to charge the extra $$$.

Yeah, I don't get Amazon's pricing strategy on it's Basics. I would consider it if it were priced lower but where it currently sits ($19.99), I can get 6qts of ProDS for the same price.

I highly doubt the Amazon's buyers are any less shrewd than Walmarts and they are certainly capable of leveraging Amazon's size much like Walmarts buyers do...so who knows.

Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233853 10/08/19 12:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,885
C
ChrisD46 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,885
*Which has the lower NOACK : Super Tech or Havoline or ProDS ? Which ever is lower is what I would go with as I believe both are D1 / Gen 2 rated now ?


'17 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI 5W30 PUP / Fram Ultra #9688
'10 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 5W30 (50%) / 5W20 (50%) QSUD / Fram Ultra #9688
'07 Kia Sedona 3.8L 5W30 Castrol EP / Fram Ultra #9999
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: ChrisD46] #5233908 10/08/19 01:31 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 4,214
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 4,214
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Which has the lower NOACK : Super Tech or Havoline or ProDS ? Which ever is lower is what I would go with as I believe both are D1 / Gen 2 rated now ?

Dunno.. you'd have to search the forums and pqia to see if you can find an apples to apples. But I personally wouldn't chase NOACK..I'd look at TBN before noack or even VI or AW PKG before noack. For a functional cooling system and engine that isn't burning oil, a noack difference of a few pts is irrelevant IMO. But to each his own...

Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 10/08/19 01:32 PM.
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5233979 10/08/19 03:06 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,929
SubieRubyRoo Offline
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,929
+1 Hatter... even though SN+ has pushed oils closer and closer together with less room for "wildcatting" an oil's makeup, I'd still take an oil known to have more AW and antioxidants over one with a slightly lower NOACK.

And ChrisD46, how about this: while it's not 100% bulletproof, lower NOACK generally seems to follow oils with LOWER viscosity index for a given oil grade. Which means that oils like ENEOS 0W20 Sustina, a darling of some here, has a higher relative NOACK with its 227VI vs. say some of the oils with VIs in the 170s, even if it is only 1-2% difference. It's all a balancing act when changing things in an oil, there is no free lunch. Since keeping metal parts apart is the primary concern when looking to prevent wear, NOACK is not going to help save your engine if the oil won't keep asperities from grinding each other into a fine metal slurry. Just my 2 cents.


De omnibus dubitandum.
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: SubieRubyRoo] #5234548 10/09/19 07:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,885
C
ChrisD46 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,885
Interesting points - I was under the impression that oils with a lower NOACK would generally be of higher quality make up over all ?
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
+1 Hatter... even though SN+ has pushed oils closer and closer together with less room for "wildcatting" an oil's makeup, I'd still take an oil known to have more AW and antioxidants over one with a slightly lower NOACK.

And ChrisD46, how about this: while it's not 100% bulletproof, lower NOACK generally seems to follow oils with LOWER viscosity index for a given oil grade. Which means that oils like ENEOS 0W20 Sustina, a darling of some here, has a higher relative NOACK with its 227VI vs. say some of the oils with VIs in the 170s, even if it is only 1-2% difference. It's all a balancing act when changing things in an oil, there is no free lunch. Since keeping metal parts apart is the primary concern when looking to prevent wear, NOACK is not going to help save your engine if the oil won't keep asperities from grinding each other into a fine metal slurry. Just my 2 cents.


'17 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI 5W30 PUP / Fram Ultra #9688
'10 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 5W30 (50%) / 5W20 (50%) QSUD / Fram Ultra #9688
'07 Kia Sedona 3.8L 5W30 Castrol EP / Fram Ultra #9999
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5234710 10/09/19 09:40 AM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 918
J
jayjr1105 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 918
I posed this in the promotions section a week ago and I think it's officially $14.37/jug


2013 Mazda 3 - PP 0w20
2005 Honda Odyssey - PP HM 5w20
Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: code5coupe] #5235129 10/09/19 06:09 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 162
S
Saabist Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 162
My old Saab 9000 has been fine on its diet of SuperTech 10W30 synthetic High Mileage oil. Picked up a jug today since an oil change is coming up soon. I don't recall the price to the penny but it was just under $15. Yes, I know I can get one of the leading brands for a few dollars more, but if ST does the job a buck is a buck as my old man used to say.

Re: Low price on SuperTech Synthetic [Re: ChrisD46] #5235177 10/09/19 06:48 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 4,214
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 4,214
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Interesting points - I was under the impression that oils with a lower NOACK would generally be of higher quality make up over all ?

You can't judge "best" or better by just one parameter.

Millions of cars have logged hundreds of millions of miles on 12 or 14% noack oil. If the oil meets the standard for volatility, you can sleep at night knowing that you're not doing any harm. The oil isn't going to thicken up to the point you have adverse effects like reduced flow.. you will get some reduction but nothing on the level to lose sleep over. In theory...😂

You might find this an interesting read..

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4341042/1

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™