"Mmmm Bobby."

Originally Posted by oldhp
Originally Posted by earlyre
not exactly me anymore, but i've see this one around before..:
[Linked Image from weknowmemes.com]

Me.

Me too
lol.gif

I liked timed intervals. 2x a year takes care of most engines. No counting down miles to OC or wondering how many miles to go....I just pull the plug in OCT and MAY. Some cars get 1x a year and my convert gets every 2 years!

When you use a Euro spec oil, you have a much greater margin for extended drains. I don't do over 10k, but have gone up to 8k. Most are 4000-5000 and that's what puts me into the 2x a year zone....I don't want to go a full year / 8000 miles anyway.

I think if you do not know what oil was being used by the previous owner it is good to do a short oil change. Because the first oil change will still mix with the old oil that was being used.

I don't waste the money - it's strangely fun but expensive.

I change my oil every 5.000 Km, (every 2-3 months). I should be doing it every 15.000km, but I like clean oil in my engine. Sometimes I change it on 3.000 Km also...

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I am. I do oil changes on my cars and family member cars every 6 months regardless of miles.

I do the same every 6 months since I retired. We don't drive all that much, so I just do it in the spring and the fall, when the temps are mild. Last week I did all three vehicles, and it took me just a bit over 2-1/2 hours start to finish. (A little longer than normal because I was screwing around with some new ramps I had bought).

I don't trust the meatballs at the Quick Lube places, (especially now that I'm hearing they're using suck machines instead of draining it), and I get the oil and filters cheap enough at Wal-Mart, so it's not a big deal.

Not only that, but my wife and I have this deal that, I'm the "maintainer", and she's the "cleaner", with both the house, as well as the cars. She can't change oil, and I'm not big on washing and vacuuming interiors. So it works out well. My cars are always as spotless as the oil in the crankcase.

Good for you billt. I am also retired along with wife. I hope I live through her retirement.

Anyway, I maintain OC on six cars. Two are adult children and do the most driving. On their cars, the OC is following manufacturers severe driving mileage recommendations. Usually 6 months or less. No fun changing in the occasional January. But, I pick a mild sunny day.

On wife's and my cars, the change duration is two years, typically 2500-3500 miles. Oil is Mobil 1, PP or PUP.

Originally Posted by billt460
Z0HS1CK said:
Not only that, but my wife and I have this deal that, I'm the "maintainer", and she's the "cleaner", with both the house, as well as the cars. She can't change oil, and I'm not big on washing and vacuuming interiors. So it works out well. My cars are always as spotless as the oil in the crankcase.

thumbsup2.gif
Same here, occasionally, a rare occasion we'll work as a team to bang out a project on the house. She holds ladders, because she's afraid I'll fall, and then she'll have to do everything herself. lol

I try to time mine in the Spring and Fall. Sometimes I'll wind up doing one extra one in the Summer depending on whether or not we take a long trip. I try to avoid having to do it in the middle of winter or the hottest parts of Summer. Usually in the neighborhood of 5,000 miles or so.

In my climate, there is no way I will consider extending oil intervals anymore - especially with the dust,sand and fuel quality issues.

Fram Ultra filters, drain and refill with HDEO every 2,500 km (1,565 mi), air filter replacement every 5,000 km (3,000 miles) and an oil filter replacement every 15,000 km (9,375 mi). On the GMC, a drain and refill every 25% off the OLM and both filters replaced whenever the OLM hits 1%.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Every 3/3K like clockwork.

Every 10K like clockwork. Have had this OCI for the last 41 years.

Same here. I always say I'll try 5K but never get up the nerve.

Initial 500 miles, then 5,000 thereafter. Mobil1 or PP, OEM filters. Mustang #2 hasn't put on 5,000 miles, but its approaching 9 months. I'm starting to get antsy.

Originally Posted by wemay

Same here. I always say I'll try 5K but never get up the nerve.

Now I know why you are constantly changing your oil. I've been meaning to ask the question. :)

My girlfriend and I went on a 5400 mile road trip. If I followed a 3k mile OCI, I'd have to change the oil during the trip, LOL. I used Amsoil SS 5W-30 for her oil changes, and had to run slightly over 8k miles on that change interval. The Amsoil Ea oil filter is on its 3rd oil change and I'm going to replace it at the next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back