Never heard of it, bought it anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sloinker
502/505 compliant synthetic from Germany
so it should be an actual grp IV/V
Huh? Why?

Well, it does say it is "synthetische" on the label. However it also says "Mercedes-Benz Blatt 229.3" but if you look on the MB approval website it isn't there, so they clearly don't hold a formal approval. In which case, what else on the label is true? Do they hold the VW approval? Or Renault? Is it even 5W-40...?

Originally Posted by sloinker
For the '16 Tiguan 502/505 compliant synthetic from Germany so it should be an actual grp IV/V. Anyone ever hear of this brand?

Yes, I think the Tiguan is a VW.

smile.gif

502/505 spec. in line if not cheaper than many meeting that specification here locally. Nothing special about it I suppose except for the German labeling laws indicating it is probably a PAO based oil unless their laws have changed.

I wonder if there is any way to trace the actual manufacturer? Spec license numbers for example? I know it can be done for dexos.

It will be fine for the Tiguan. I looked over walmarts stuff and they don't even sell a 502/505 in their stores. I would have to order it and the cost is similar to that of the Pennzoil Euro when ordered. Otherwise locally I could get Liqui-Moly from NAPA for significantly more. I was looking at the spout design on this VAICO and it looks suspiciously the same as another German brand I have bought in the past.

It might be alright. My personal preference in this situation would be to buy a known brand name.

Something I copied from their website:

Our professional vehicle repair range also includes further products from the cooling, steering, brakes, body and filter categories, as well as certified "Made in Germany" fluids.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but Made in Germany means one thing to me and certified "Made in Germany" comes across different. Why the quotation marks? To me that's suspicious.

I hope it works out.

I've seen it on some tuning sites with their oil change kits. I would think M1/Castrol 0W40 would be a better oil based on what I've read here and a little cheaper than this on sale. I've seen this name on OE wiper blades for VWs as well.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It might be alright. My personal preference in this situation would be to buy a known brand name.

Something I copied from their website:

Our professional vehicle repair range also includes further products from the cooling, steering, brakes, body and filter categories, as well as certified "Made in Germany" fluids.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but Made in Germany means one thing to me and certified "Made in Germany" comes across different. Why the quotation marks? To me that's suspicious.

I hope it works out.

I've been coming across some of the boutiques that have had their production shifted away from their historic manufacturing facilities. I've seen Spain as the country of manufacture for some of MOTUL's products, a shift from France. But you may be right. It may be just another group III oil with some sleight of hand in their packaging info to mis-inform consumers as to what is actually in the bottle. Is it PAO or is it group III......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back