3rd brake light assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a '03 GMC Sierra.. I replaced the third brake light assembly a little while ago with an LED unit. I like the assembly, but being aftermarket doesn't 100% fit the cab and lets some water inside. Does anyone know a proper fitting assembly that is LED? Is my best option buying a factory assembly and just running LED bulbs? Should I put some kind of sealer around what I have?

Thanks.

Is this a problem you caused by coveting LED's?

Pretty vehicle? Install something that fits. Abandon the LED feature if fit and finish is the goal.

Rough vehicle? Seal it with clear silicone sealer.

FYI: Go to a GM parts source and see what a "correct" one costs.

Your vehicle had a bulb CHMSL which you removed, no? Did you toss out your original?

What does the "LED unit" do that the original one doesn't? The simple solution would be to put the original back in place unless it's damaged-problem solved. If it's damaged then just find a used one somewhere-problem solved.

The old (factory one) was just old and faded. I live in the desert and the truck is old. So it was time to replace discolored lenses. I like the LED's because they are bright and gave the truck a "cleaner" look.

Sure you could try a sealer, maybe make a gasket out of neoprene rubber or run a bead of caulking on it, let that mostly set up before installing it so it is not permanently stuck on... despite lofty claims, some LED lights don't last nearly as long as they're supposed to.

An LED bulb in the original housing probably won't work out well because they tend to be nowhere near as bright as the factory bulb for little marker size bulbs, but if you want to try one anyway, get red because a far larger % of light will then pass through the red brake light lens.

You could instead try reconditioning the old lens with some plastic polish, or even toothpaste with a lot of elbow grease.

Last edited:
You can get a rather long and very high quality Hella third brake lamp assembly off Amazon for about 60 dollars. It probably won't leak, ever, and those have been designed with the proper standards in mind.

The advice above about being careful with LED bulbs is correct. Too often they won't light up a red lamp correctly, and you've ended up paying good money for a downgrade in visibility. What size bulb are you looking for? 921? 1157?

If it needs to seal better, and it doesn't fit right, according to both your post and the numerous Amazon reviews, it's probably high time to look for another unit, perhaps one from a recognized manufacturer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back