Ever refuse to work on a vehicle?

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Here`s the thing, Good Sam law or not anyone who repairs assumes responsibility. Even if your work is perfect if something else fails and it gets disputed you as someone who should know better might face some liability.

What law school did you go to?

Since when does one have to go to a law school to have witnessed someone have a problem that went to court. Also the company I worked for wanted the service techs to make note of problems not noted on the SO leaving a warning tag. One service trainer was fond of saying the one who pays the settlement is the one who stutters first.

That's fine for a garage service facility, hopefully licensed and qualified. But this thread is about private parties - friends and relatives. Difficult to prove liability in this case.

I agree.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Strongly disagree with your position. You state it's unsafe then when he wants to get something done that is safety related like brakes, you refuse. Ironic to say the least.

With all due respect, you do not seem fit to assess

Dave9, With all due respect, you do not seem fit to assess motives, morality, intelligence, nor any other possible attribute of any object, meme, idea or any other thing that will ever exist in this, or any other universe.

Last edited:
My sister has a Camry she hardly maintains. She thinks maintaining it consists of getting the oil changed every 3k miles at Valvoline Instant Oil Change and nothing else. Car needs brakes, new catalytic converter, has a coolant leak, AC doesn't work, need a a motor mount and valve cover gasket. Obviously fixing all that will cost a fortune at a shop. She wanted me to do it all to save her money. Keep in mind, I barely ever see or hear from her. She usually only calls when she needs a favor or needs her car fixed. I told her no; I'm way too busy (which is true) and that my own cars need repairs and maintenance I've been trying to get around to doing for months (also true). But I still wouldn't have done it even if I wasn't busy.

Originally Posted by Kruse

If you keep enabling them, they will take advantage of you and expect a lifetime warranty on top of that.

100% accurate!

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
If it's family or good friend, I would have helped them out. That's what family and friends are for.

IF ...and ONLY IF ... they are somewhat responsible and don't have a "victim mentality"

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Kruse

If you keep enabling them, they will take advantage of you and expect a lifetime warranty on top of that.

100% accurate!

And I'll add...how much do these family members appreciate you as a human being if they would ask/expect you to slave over their junk box car? These types are the first ones to complain after you've done the repair and something goes wrong or it ended up costing more than they thought. Then they'll rn around complaining about you to mom, or auntie, or daddy or uncle Jimmy. They're not friends and they're sure not family.

I can count on one hand with a few fingers to spare the amount of friends and family I would help do car repair and maintenance. It is like feeding a stray cat, do it once and you never get rid of them.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
I can count on one hand with a few fingers to spare the amount of friends and family I would help do car repair and maintenance. It is like feeding a stray cat, do it once and you never get rid of them.

Can I make this quote my sig?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif
01.gif
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Hootbro

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif
01.gif
thankyou2.gif

I have 1 requirement for my friends: Honda or Toyota only. Nissans only if you bake good stuff...

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Do whatever floats your boat.
thumbsup2.gif

I do maintenance for a few selected friends(my adopted family who lived next to my parents) and the parents. One is quid pro quo since we drive up to the snow quite a bit. Other throws me a few bucks. A co-worker's paid me to do a few things for his car.

An ex-friend was a free loader for my labor and always got cheap parts off Amazon. I told him there's things I do get off Amazon but more critical things I get locally in case something happens. He's a cheapskate, go figure. He killed his Camry due to neglect. I changed the T-belt and I just so happened to check his oil and it was bone dry. I showed him the level just so he can't blame me. A week later, the car threw a rod. He ignored the recommendations made by a very reputable shop in the Bay Area since it would have cost "too much money". They wanted to replace the oil pump shaft seal/gasket, distributor O-ring and the timing belt - which all were in bad shape when I took the timing covers off. But I was able to get his now deceased dad's old Tahoe running decently well for the time I've known him. His dad got taken in for the ride by Midas. It needed intake manifold gaskets, the starter died, but I also noticed a lot of unneeded work was done and the heads were replaced.

Last time I drove by his place(still lives with mom), the Tahoe I poured a lot of time on is on bricks, and he's driving his sister's bucket 96 Camry with a huge dent in it. I'll drop off a Uber gift card or a bus pass on his windshield one day. That Camry will die too.

Last edited:
There comes a time when enough is enough and this was one of those times.

Their house was on fire and they were out watering the garden..

I help good people where I can. Good people have helped me in the past.

I am lucky that out in the country there are lots of farmers and ranchers, most are capable at fixing things. The last guy I helped was having knock sensor and o2 sensor issues with his 2004 chev 2500 deck truck. Lent him my scanner and helped diagnose the issues. Showed him some tricks when reading the data. Just waiting on new o2 sensors but he went from 9mpg to 13.5 so far.

I refused to do a heater core in my grandma’s friends car. She wanted it done in her driveway and I was nice and I just said look it really needs to be done at my shop or at my house so I can have all of my tools right there and not have to run back and fourth and she got a little upset and was scared to drive it so she had it towed to a shop near her since she lived 40 miles away from me.

I finally gave up on my daughters e46. Problems every few months. 9 years of maint and repair, the last few months of transmission problems did it in for me

Back