Piston Soak: BMW #82140428376 vs AcDelco X66p

If the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore does not work, I am interested in performing a piston soak on the spouse's Accord. AcDelco X66p was supposed to be very good for this purpose but the product is discontinued.

Rumor is that BMW sells a very similar product - it is coincidentally sold in the same style bottle and happens to be the same color:

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/46712/Fuel-Injection-Cleaner-Concentrate-82140428376/

Does anyone know if the two products are similar?

Last edited:
This is the new stuff

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-3015-Engine-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B07CZ17LK3

Here is a review

As soon as I poured this stuff into the spark plug holes, the clear liquid turned black, and the drips on spark threads turned the black carbon into shiny metal. It literally melted the carbon. I sucked out the liquid, and the carbon debris clogged my sucking tube. I can't believe how much crud has come out from the pistons. I followed the soak with MMO to flush out the carbon debris until the liquid turned to clear red, and cranked the engine (with a towel covering the holes) to blast the carbon pieces out. My car has stopped burning oil. A miracle!

Reactions: JC1
That review is unreal.

I also tried a piston soak in my 2008 accord using seafoam, MMO, I had a dry plug #1 I think after cranking

After sitting about 2 days I did manage to get the 1st hole to be wet.

If this works for you I may try it.

Last edited:
And theres CRC

[Linked Image from crcindustries.com]

Just did a piston soak on the '03 Accord 2.4L (154k mi) using the BMW Fuel Injection Cleaner Concentrate p/n 82140428376 (same as referenced in @The Critic's OP but ordered from BMW of South Atlanta for $32 delivered). Previously I was running Supertech 5w30 conventional HM at a run rate of a quart every 1200 mi.

After comparing other posts from this and other boards, the most convincing evidence that the BMW and X66P substances were the same/similar was the ACDelco X66P SDS referencing the same components listed on the back of the BMW cleaner: Glycol ethers and Aryl alcohol. That and of course the bottles/fluid look identical and reference the same limitation to not add to the fuel tank.

I largely followed the procedure listed on the drive accord site for the x66p soak. Warmed the engine up to 130F ECT and initially poured 2 oz / cylinder then added an additional ounce ~ 5 hours later. After ~ 3 more hrs I pulled the fuel pump relay/fuse and started cranking with the plugs out. Below photo shows round golden fluid stain on all 4 cylinders, almost reminicent of clean oil (I did this before the oil change). No observed carbon crud. I did find a reference to a GM service procedure not to piston soak for more than 3 hrs since it could result in dissolved deposits reforming.

The aftermath: After sitting overnight (ambient temp in garage was 55F) I drained the oil and replaced with ST 5w20 conv and a new Bosch 3323. Chose to refill with 5w20 since I should know soon if I have reduced the oil consumption. A few more cranks with the plugs out to get any remaining fluid out then reinserted the plugs and fuse. That's where it got interesting. It took a few attempts turn over / start and idle was a bit rough, perhaps I didn't get all the fluid out. All the while it was spewing out more white smoke than the Blue Angles in a diamond formation LOL. After a few minutes of idling up to temp, the smoke subsided and it drove without hesitating for a 15 mi Sunday drive.

I'll update if this works, but in hindsight and considering all the hassle, just dumping a quart of oil once a month isn't that bad!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
BG EPR did wonders for our oil drinking audi.
You just pour in idle for 10-30mins drain refill and go.

Just did a piston soak on the '03 Accord 2.4L (154k mi) using the BMW Fuel Injection Cleaner Concentrate p/n 82140428376 (same as referenced in @The Critic's OP but ordered from BMW of South Atlanta for $32 delivered). Previously I was running Supertech 5w30 conventional HM at a run rate of a quart every 1200 mi.

After comparing other posts from this and other boards, the most convincing evidence that the BMW and X66P substances were the same/similar was the ACDelco X66P SDS referencing the same components listed on the back of the BMW cleaner: Glycol ethers and Aryl alcohol. That and of course the bottles/fluid look identical and reference the same limitation to not add to the fuel tank.

I largely followed the procedure listed on the drive accord site for the x66p soak. Warmed the engine up to 130F ECT and initially poured 2 oz / cylinder then added an additional ounce ~ 5 hours later. After ~ 3 more hrs I pulled the fuel pump relay/fuse and started cranking with the plugs out. Below photo shows round golden fluid stain on all 4 cylinders, almost reminicent of clean oil (I did this before the oil change). No observed carbon crud. I did find a reference to a GM service procedure not to piston soak for more than 3 hrs since it could result in dissolved deposits reforming.

The aftermath: After sitting overnight (ambient temp in garage was 55F) I drained the oil and replaced with ST 5w20 conv and a new Bosch 3323. Chose to refill with 5w20 since I should know soon if I have reduced the oil consumption. A few more cranks with the plugs out to get any remaining fluid out then reinserted the plugs and fuse. That's where it got interesting. It took a few attempts turn over / start and idle was a bit rough, perhaps I didn't get all the fluid out. All the while it was spewing out more white smoke than the Blue Angles in a diamond formation LOL. After a few minutes of idling up to temp, the smoke subsided and it drove without hesitating for a 15 mi Sunday drive.

I'll update if this works, but in hindsight and considering all the hassle, just dumping a quart of oil once a month isn't that bad!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Any update?

Any update?
Thanks for checking. The short story is my driving conditions have changed significantly since ‘the soak’ due to sifting to working at home, so I can’t tell if there is a meaningful result.

Previously I was driving ~ 30 mi / day at freeway speeds but now it’s mostly just on surface streets teaching my oldest how to drive. Since the soak and OC in Jan 2020, I’ve only driven the Accord just under 4K miles and haven’t changed the oil yet. I’ve been topping off with ST 5w30 HM conventional and used about 2 qts. So it does appear that the 5w30 is helping, but since I’m not driving 70+ MPH on a near daily basis I don’t want it make any conclusive statements.

If anything changes, I’ll come back and update but in hindsight I probably should have started my own thread. I should add that I don’t plan to be with the Accord much longer. Once the kiddos are down with basic driving skills (read: don’t hit the curb regularly), I’ll part ways.

Reactions: JC1
Back