Question regarding cci big 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can one safely shoot cci big 4 38spl/357 mag from a s&w model 36? Yes, I know it's a 38 special gun, but it's special only. If I don't ask I won't know, and I haven't come across an answer in my research.

81 grains at 1000 FPS isn't going to stress a .38 SPL.

220 ftlbs ME is less than most .38 SPL.

That help?

Red 91 I use a lot of Winchester primers in my guns. Their pistol primers are made for both regular and magnum handguns Those primers will work just fine for you.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
What are primers? I'm sorry, I'm new to centerfire ammo. I've gained decent experience with my 22's. I'm guessing those primers are some kind of shot round?

Originally Posted by Red91
What are primers? I'm sorry, I'm new to centerfire ammo. I've gained decent experience with my 22's. I'm guessing those primers are some kind of shot round?

But LOL how long have you been shooting? Its now very clear You've never reloaded which was my first incorrect assumption.

Oh then you can't shoot .357 ammo from this gun they are going to probably not be able to close the cylinder.

Last edited:

Primers are what the firing pin strikes to ignite the powder. You would only buy separate primers if you reload. Not sure how primers are relevant to this thread.

FWIW, related to the shot shell - I do not think CCI would label a round 38 SPL if it wasn't suitable for a 38 only firearm...

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?loadNo=3714CC

Last edited:
I wondered if the primer answer was for some other thread...
those big4 shot loads are fine in 38 Spl handguns, and the cases are NOT reloadable.

These rounds definitely fit the cylinder, and it opens and closes fine. I guess I was concerned about the rounds having too much power. I know you can shoot .38 special in a .357, but not vise versa, so I guess I was thinking about that. The primer question was a brain [censored] on my part; I knew what primers were, but no I've never self loaded. Sounds like I'm good to go on the shot loads.

Can one safely shoot cci big 4 38spl/357 mag from a s&w model 36?

CCI Big 4 shots shell cartridges can safely be fired from a Smith model 36.

What is the application? That stuff is only for shooting snakes or rats. It is NOT for home defense or personal protection.

I personably don't see the point of the stuff. Snakes I leave alone, rats I would trap or blast away with a pellet gun.

Most all handgun shotshell cartridges are extremely underpowered, compared to modern self defense loads in the same caliber. Or any similar +P type load. The same applies to rimfire shotshells. Most of them won't even have enough soup to reliably cycle a semi auto action.

The shotshells are for snakes and rats, possibly armadillos too. Not so much an issue at home, but my grandmother's farm is a different story. I'm not planning to use many of them, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to have them on hand. I bought some magtech .38 special yesterday. I really don't plan on using this gun much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back