what are some TRUE synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

Seems hard to find rue 100% true synthetic bike oils, especially when like me you aren't an oil expert by any stretch and therefore reading data sheets is greek to me. So what are some true all synthetic oils? Especially those at the lower end of the cost spectrum being a retired person living on a shoestring. Thanks.

With rebates, you can get Mobil 1 5Q jugs for around $15-$18. Costco has a 6x1Q box for around $27.

Last edited:
thats car oil. I'm talking bike oil.

Last edited:
It would be easier if you just come out and say what your definition of a "100% true synthetic" is. That way we can dispense with the formalities.

Triumph 1700 P twin cruiser, water cooled. My understanding is that true 100% synthetic oils are zero mineral oil as opposed to mineral oil with a additive package.

Why do you need a 100% true synthetic enough to go through some trouble to identify and obtain it. Do you think it will be that much better for your application?

If you are running a "regular" group III synthetic and finding it lacking a group IV synthetic won't be dramatically better. Somewhat better but not incredibly so. in most cases its not a make or break deal. you change it a little sooner with a good group III vs group IV. sometimes there is no difference if the oil is compromised due to blow by and combustion products.

The cheapest JASO MA 4T 10w40 is probably Valvoline 10w40 full syn at walmart $7.37/qt

If you want the best bang for the buck.. Rotella 5w40.. gazillions of miles with no known issues.

No idea what you want to accomplish with the full syn... extended drains?

Originally Posted by daz
So what are some true all synthetic oils?

What is 100% true for all the synthetics are uniform sized molecules
that don't exists naturally... so armed with that knowledge you can
shop for the best synthetic price because no matter what brand of
uniform molecules we choose they will meet or exceed our mileage
expectations...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My bike has a issue that is common to the model which seems to improve with certain oils and get worse with others. I want to try true synthetic and see if that helps more then others and someone i talked to who is quite knowledgeable seemed to think it might given all the facts. This is not something he or anyone here no matter how knowledgeable can know. I just have to try it and see. So rather then debate why or whether is should try it i'd just appreciate it if someone could tell me what oils are like this. I know penrite is but it's austrailian and not available in the states w/o paying almost as much for the already expensive oil itself in shipping costs. Otherwise i'd have just tried that.

Spectro Platinum 4 . Group IV PAO blended with Group V ester. Ester likely the additive solubility agent.

Originally Posted by daz
My bike has a issue that is common to the model which seems to improve with certain oils and get worse with others. I want to try true synthetic and see if that helps more then others and someone i talked to who is quite knowledgeable seemed to think it might given all the facts. This is not something he or anyone here no matter how knowledgeable can know. I just have to try it and see. So rather then debate why or whether is should try it i'd just appreciate it if someone could tell me what oils are like this. I know penrite is but it's austrailian and not available in the states w/o paying almost as much for the already expensive oil itself in shipping costs. Otherwise i'd have just tried that.

What's the issue, what oils seem to make it worse, and what oils seem to make it better?

I'm sure AMSOIL makes an oil for you. Group IV synthetc.

These oils are somewhat "boutique" so you will not find a cheap one compared to walmarts Group III oils.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Spectro Platinum 4 . Group IV PAO blended with Group V ester. Ester likely the additive solubility agent.

Where did u get that info? It seems priced fairly reasonable but i can't find data on it even on the spectro site.

I think all you will find is blends of Group 3, 4, 5. And since the blend ratios are kept under wraps you can only guess.

I would look at Motul motorcycle oils or Amsoil.

If you want a higher proportion of group IV/V then you can go with Ravenol/Red Line/MPT maybe Motul and their are some motorcycle only oils that claim 100% but I haven't seen any VOA's on them. I believe that the main name brands don't contain much grp IV/V anymore. Casstrol is the reason grp. III is now known as a synthetic so I assume that is probably what is in their bottles.

Originally Posted by daz
Triumph 1700 P twin cruiser, water cooled. My understanding is that true 100% synthetic oils are zero mineral oil as opposed to mineral oil with a additive package.

I think you got it that Mineral is refined from crude but also
understand that its possible to refine that crude even higher to
qualify as a 100% synthetic... both products will meet or exceed your
mileage expectations but only one offers uniform molecules...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back