best brand loaded strut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a full set of four Sensen brand for my Outback. They are working fine so far, about 15k miles on them. Got them off Amazon for about $104 each for the front, and $140 for the rear pair.

If you buy them loaded, which are called quick struts, you stand a good chance of having the front end sit too high when you're done. That's because the springs that come with the quick struts are too stiff. I read all the reviews on Amazon before I replaced mine. All the brands have problems with the springs raising the car up. I decided to keep the factory springs for that reason. The main thing to look out for is the spring seat. There's a tab on the spring seat that lines up with the opening of the lower strut mount. As long as you have that tab lined up correctly, you'll then have the spring seat clocked at the angle it should be.

KYB is the best quick struts for your Lesabre
smile.gif

The OE spring is likely better quality than what you get with the new one. Not that difficult to switch over.

KYB strut a bit over 50 bucks and pretty good performance.

A few years back, I replaced the front and back struts on my Chevrolet Cavalier with Monroe Quick-Strut assemblies. Around 4000+ miles of road time, both of the front struts upper bearings started to grind real bad when I turned the steering wheel. I took them off, got warranty replacements and since installation, they have been good. No noises and a smooth ride. The rear struts have been good from the start.

Get a name brand strut. Lots of people hate Monroe, but they sell the most struts, haters are also out there for KYB but they don't sell as many. If you're planning on keeping the car for a while, check the warranty, the name brand like Monroe or KYB will have a lifetime warranty. I prefer to order them locally but sometimes pricewise it's worth it to get it from a place like rockauto, but you will have to pay return shipping if you want to make a warranty claim. The lifetime warranty means I used to replace the struts even when not fully worn out with a new set. Car always rides nicer with new struts.

I agree that all loaded struts I've used made the car look just goofy and not anywhere near stock. Monroe on a Taurus and kyb on a Volvo. My 09 Nissan needs rears and I'm probably going to use a loaded strut because the rear of that car sat low from the factory. For the fronts I'll order oem.

I did Monroe quickstruts on my old Camry but it's a beater and I didn't care if it looked goofy afterwards. But I've been pleased so far, and it was an easy job. YMMV.

Used the Gabriel Ultra Ready Mount on the Xterra - been super happy with them. The spring did seem a tad stiffer than stock, but I wanted that anyways. Roughly 10k miles so far, and still going great!

I've put a set of MOOG on the front of our old Camry. After about 7,000 miles, I have not noticed any deterioration in ride quality (i.e. because of stiffness / harshness) nor does the ride height look any different.

For those of you who have a Ford, know that they have Motorcraft quick struts now
happy2.gif

Mootrcraft quick struts use the OE strut, spring, and mount and are 98% exact OE components, and Rockauto carries them at a fair price
smile.gif

Honda also offers OEM quick struts from the dealer, but they are expensive and not sold on Rockauto
cry.gif

Since the OP has a GM car, let me remind everybody that the ACDelco quick struts are NOT OEM!!!!! They are reboxed Gabriel! When buying ACDelco parts, make sure it says "GM Original Equipment" because only parts marked as such are the OE parts. ACDelco Professional (Amateur) is mid-grade aftermarket parts reboxed. The only "Professional" parts that are actual OEM parts are spark plugs and filters. And ACDelco Advantage (Disadvantage) are scrap metal

Sachs makes good quick struts, but not for the OP's Lesabre. I just posted that in case someone else comes across this thread that has a car Sachs makes quick struts for.

Originally Posted by mjk
Does Gabriel Ultra make a loaded model ? It has been talked up on here before...

Yes, it's called ReadyMount

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by mjk
Does Gabriel Ultra make a loaded model ? It has been talked up on here before...

I thought I just said that...

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
If you buy them loaded, which are called quick struts, you stand a good chance of having the front end sit too high when you're done. That's because the springs that come with the quick struts are too stiff. I read all the reviews on Amazon before I replaced mine. All the brands have problems with the springs raising the car up. I decided to keep the factory springs for that reason. The main thing to look out for is the spring seat. There's a tab on the spring seat that lines up with the opening of the lower strut mount. As long as you have that tab lined up correctly, you'll then have the spring seat clocked at the angle it should be.

In my experience, these springs settle down after some miles and ride height is fine. You are probably comparing ride height of the new springs vs. the old somewhat sagging springs.

Mootrcraft quick struts use the OE strut, spring, and mount and are 98% exact OE components

So if the strut, spring, and mount are exact OE components, where does the 2% that's not OE come from? The sticker on the tube?

Originally Posted by willbur
In my experience, these springs settle down after some miles and ride height is fine. You are probably comparing ride height of the new springs vs. the old somewhat sagging springs.

I did extensive product research before buying my front struts. All the reviews I've read say the springs in the quick struts never settle down. In the end, I'm glad I kept my old springs because the ride height with the new KYB front struts is perfect. The old springs were never sagging anyway. The struts were just worn out.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by mjk

I thought I just said that...

Take it up with mjk
16.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Mootrcraft quick struts use the OE strut, spring, and mount and are 98% exact OE components

So if the strut, spring, and mount are exact OE components, where does the 2% that's not OE come from? The sticker on the tube?

Maybe some of the minor rubber components? The dust boot, spring insulator, etc
45.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back