01 Chevy 5.3 290k miles 0w-30 or 0w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one? New vehicle to me so no idea if it burns any. On hand I have Amsoil Signature 0w-30 and Castrol edge 0w-40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
THAT many miles?
Go with the 0W-40, especially if in California!

Will I notice any difference in MPG or performance?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by SteveG4
THAT many miles?
Go with the 0W-40, especially if in California!

Will I notice any difference in MPG or performance?

No, I have ran 10w-40 AMSOIL and 0w-20 AMSOIL in my 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 and have not noticed any difference in mpg.

Which one? New vehicle to me so no idea if it burns any. On hand I have Amsoil Signature 0w-30 and Castrol edge 0w-40.

You're in San Rafael..i lived in the Bay Area for 15yrs.. there's no need for you to be running 0w anything.

When I lived there i ran 10w30 year round in my Camaro... you could easily do 10w40. SuperTech 10w40 HiMi is just $14 for 5qts... barring any issues with your engine, you could easily do 5k miles on this oil.

Just food for thought...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

You're in San Rafael..i lived in the Bay Area for 15yrs.. there's no need for you to be running 0w anything.

When I lived there i ran 10w30 year round in my Camaro... you could easily do 10w40. SuperTech 10w40 HiMi is just $14 for 5qts... barring any issues with your engine, you could easily do 5k miles on this oil.

This is exactly right ^^^

Originally Posted by gfh77665

This is exactly right ^^^

Exactly, a 5W-30/40 or 10W-30/40 will be just fine in that area.

Since you have no idea if it uses oil (it probably does). I would start with 5w30 Havoline and see where you are with consumption..

I understand there is no point to 0w-anything but money's tight right now and I would like to use the oil I have so I'll use the 0w-40 and after that switch to a 5w-30 like maxlife or O'Reilly high mileage. Thanks!

It's interesting to note NONE of my high mileage cars except for an Escape 3.0 were oil burners. I hope this one isn't an oil burner lol.

Last edited:

It's interesting to note NONE of my high mileage cars except for an Escape 3.0 were oil burners. I hope this one isn't an oil burner lol.

At nearly 300K miles you're hoping for a lot. Drive it a couple weeks and you'll know.

I don't wanna sound rude but that means nothing from one model, engine design of one car to another. And..(there's always an "and" right?...‚)..how the car was cared for during those 290k plays a huge part in determining if it's gonna grow up to be an oil burner.

Run the 0w..use the oil you have. I was just saying...

Last edited:

I don't wanna sound rude but that means nothing from one model, engine design of one car to another. And..(there's always an "and" right?...‚)..how the car was cared for during those 290k plays a huge part in determining if it's gonna grow up to be an oil burner.

Run the 0w..use the oil you have. I was just saying...

Lol ok I'll use the 0w-30 in my Escape and the 0w-40 in the Burb. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back