Pivot bolt in tensioner stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 civic lx 1.8L 179k

So my water pump bearing is on its way out and I was taking the belt tensioner off to access the last bolt on the pump which is hidden behind the tensioner. Well, the 8mm Allen head pivot bolt in the tensioner is stripped I'm assuming from my local shop who installed the new tensioner in January.

I had the passenger side front tire off to gain better access and everything. I have a few inches of space at best and I cannot get a good bite in this bolt. Allen keys, Allen sockets, torq bits, I can't get anything to grab. The bolt is recessed to where it's pretty much flush and I can't get pliers on it.

What can I do?

Last edited:
Drill the head off, remove the part and go after the remnant with vise grips. You could try an XZN bit that is slightly larger and pound it in with a hammer but I have a feeling it will strip out also.

Last edited:
Perhaps they could not get it tight and used some strong lock-tite on it. I'd use some heat and try again.

Can you see the bolt to verify its not a torx?

Last edited:
This video lists it as an 8mm allen head. Do you have that for a ratchet? If not perhaps thats what you need.

A guy taught me this trick for dealing with.a wallowed out socket head. First dig all the dirt out Wack it with the ball of a hammer.Stop peening when the allen no longer fits. Then lightly tap the allen in. The metal In the socket moves away from the hole . On a really messed up bolt head, you can see or feel the displaced steel.. Move the metal back into the socket . Rinse and repeat.. There are 12 10mm socket head bolts holding in an E-28 rear axle. I used to harvest axles . I had a very high success rate with this method and it works on smaller ones too. To prevent it in the first place the tool needs to bottom in the socket. The socket must be clean ! I sold the axles, but 10x50mm bolts hold the starter in the Rat. and a few other things too.
grin2.gif

Since it seems to be close to the top, It may help to remove the motor mount and lift that side of the engine up for better access. Also detach the transmission side so it can tilt down.

If can get any grip at all with an 8mm Allen head socket, stop and heat it good in case they used lock-tite, then try.

Last edited:
Cut the end off your 8mm allen socket. You want it flat, no taper on the end.

Make sure there's no dirt in the socket head.

Heat the bolt, short hits with a mapp torch, get the heat penetrated into it completely.

Start by trying to tighten the bolt just a bit to crack it, then try loosening it doing your best to keep it straight. Hopefully it comes.

If not, it's either trying bigger torx or 3/8 allen or destroying stuff with a reciprocating saw.

I don't know if this will work for you, it did for me in a similar situation. Cut an 8mm key down to a size long enough to seat all the way in the tensioner, & long enough to use a prybar against the frame rail to help keep the key wedged in place. Put a wrench over the key before using the prybar. Then if someone can help, one works the prybar & the other works the wrench on the Allen key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back