Traveller dino 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since PQIA hasn't done anything with this oil since 2013 and the blender has been changed, I thought it was time to pony up some of my own money for some research. At less than $2 per quart ($9.99, less on sale, for a 5 quart jug) at Tractor Supply it could be considered a bargain.

After looking at the makeup, what are your thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Spec's look solid. Good Calcium level, nice shot of Magnesium, Boron and even some Moly.

I suspect this oil is blended by Smitty's Supply.... Thus the SSI on the container... Smitty's Supply Incorporated...

This oil looks just fine. And tbn of 6.7 is ok because of the magnesium in the oil... That really helps with the retention.

I stick with the big manufacturer names and watch for their rebate offers. This pushes synthetic name brand pricing almost down to house brand-name dino prices like offered above.

Plus, brands like Supertech don't even say on their 5w30 labels that they reduce deposit formation. That's a big deal with me. Brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1 and Pennzoil do say it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I stick with the big manufacturer names and watch for their rebate offers. This pushes synthetic name brand pricing almost down to house brand-name dino prices like offered above.

Plus, brands like Supertech don't even say on their 5w30 labels that they reduce deposit formation. That's a big deal with me. Brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1 and Pennzoil do say it.

So the DEXOS certification is nothing because house brands don't spend money for cliche advertising.

I appreciate you doing this. My daughter-in-law has an older vehicle. I offered to change the oil in it to save them some money, but I didn't want to use the synthetic I had on hand since it is such a high mileage vehicle. Traveller's oil at TSC was the cheapest dino I could find and I'm glad to hear that it appears to be decent oil. So far so good, anyway. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back