Recent Topics
bathroom toilet leaking help
by FirstNissan - 06/04/20 02:52 AM
Scored some NOS old dogs
by GMguy84 - 06/04/20 01:56 AM
Chevy Positraction 1057721
by rorty - 06/04/20 12:42 AM
Moving up to 5w30. How thick is too thick?
by BTLew81 - 06/03/20 11:15 PM
Renting UHaul Truck to Tow Your Own Trailer?
by Miller88 - 06/03/20 09:40 PM
First Oil Change Recommendation
by gtpimp - 06/03/20 09:20 PM
GM 10L80 Issues
by shimps1 - 06/03/20 08:26 PM
Brake/Carb cleaner issue.
by Jarpin - 06/03/20 07:27 PM
sharp oil pressure drop-off > 130C
by bbrtuning - 06/03/20 06:48 PM
Warranty work
by t1snwrbrdr12 - 06/03/20 06:10 PM
AC Flashing Light
by artbuc - 06/03/20 05:13 PM
Watches
by Passport1 - 06/03/20 03:57 PM
best budget tire
by VQLT - 06/03/20 03:33 PM
Castrol EDGE turns black/red FAST
by Silver - 06/03/20 03:20 PM
Our van feels "Darty" or twitchy" on the highway
by 1911CHAMPION - 06/03/20 02:55 PM
You guys who pile the miles up weekly on your ride
by Speak2Mountain - 06/03/20 02:22 PM
'19 + '20 Kicks w/C.V.T. : Any owners or know
by odie - 06/03/20 01:38 PM
Securing rubber hose to metal tubing?
by joshuawesl - 06/03/20 01:15 PM
Extremely rare Honda
by wings&wheels - 06/03/20 12:36 PM
Newest Members
Kernal, AB_Indian, rorty, Ghosty, zmann96
71604 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
21 registered members (dlundblad, emod, 4WD, BlakeB, Darren_L, 3 invisible), 773 guests, and 33 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,116
Posts5,287,808
Members71,604
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
K & P Engineering filters #5232759 10/07/19 09:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
M
Mike_H Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
I have been reading threads about these filters for years, and they are always spammed by the same member who claims to use them on all vehicles but never posts a UOA. Located a 9/2018 UOA on one on a site "e90post" and the title is "K&P S38 N52 Stainless Steel Oil Filter UOA."

The car owner installed it at 60705 miles and did a UAO at the next oil change at 69289 miles after an 8584 mile interval. The filter was in good shape and the Blackstone UOA was excellent, Blackstone was very impressed with the analysis and indicated engine was wearing very well.

However, 4/2019 and at 73300 he changed the oil filter gasket and found that around 50% of the pleats in the filter had collapsed and the filter was clogged. When he contacted K&P they stated this was due to the filter becoming clogged up with too much debris and being subjected to too much pressure. There are several pics of the condition.

K & P sent over a PDF showing the condition of a new filter and the condition of 2 used filters, 1 pristine and 1 very clogged. The doc seems to place the blame on the owners.

So while it appears the filters do a good job filtering, they are limited in how much material they can hold.

Last edited by Mike_H; 10/07/19 09:30 AM. Reason: fixed formatting
Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: Mike_H] #5232766 10/07/19 09:40 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,241
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,241
Originally Posted by Mike_H
I have been reading threads about these filters for years, and they are always spammed by the same member who claims to use them on all vehicles but never posts a UOA. Located a 9/2018 UOA on one on a site "e90post" and the title is "K&P S38 N52 Stainless Steel Oil Filter UOA."

The car owner installed it at 60705 miles and did a UAO at the next oil change at 69289 miles after an 8584 mile interval. The filter was in good shape and the Blackstone UOA was excellent, Blackstone was very impressed with the analysis and indicated engine was wearing very well.

A standard UOA tells you nothing about a filter, so that isn't surprising none was posted nor that yours was wearing well. You would have gotten the same UOA results with a different filter or likely with no filter at all.


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: kschachn] #5232842 10/07/19 11:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
M
Mike_H Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this isn't my car or UOA, just the only one I found looking for one. I do have a K & P filter but have not installed it.

Wouldn't circulating oil full of abrasives and contaminants cause excessive wear, especially wear metals, and have a very bad UOA as a result?

You wrote "you would have gotten the same UOA results with a different filter or likely with no filter at all" is that an opinion or is there some sort of data that supports it?

I am trying to decide if I am going to try out the K & P filter I have or keep using Purolator Pure One filters.

Last edited by Mike_H; 10/07/19 11:25 AM. Reason: clarify
Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: Mike_H] #5233009 10/07/19 02:02 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23,688
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23,688
How about posting the links to the info you're talking about?

Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: Mike_H] #5233014 10/07/19 02:07 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,241
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,241
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this isn't my car or UOA, just the only one I found looking for one. I do have a K & P filter but have not installed it.

Wouldn't circulating oil full of abrasives and contaminants cause excessive wear, especially wear metals, and have a very bad UOA as a result?

You wrote "you would have gotten the same UOA results with a different filter or likely with no filter at all" is that an opinion or is there some sort of data that supports it?

I am trying to decide if I am going to try out the K & P filter I have or keep using Purolator Pure One filters.

Of course "circulating oil full of abrasives" would be a problem. But you don't have that, do you? As long as the filtering efficiency of any filter takes out the damaging particles then they won't be in the oil, however many there were in the first place. A long time ago a member on here went through the effort to obtain UOA on oil that had no filter and there was no discernible difference. Again a standard UOA is not the tool that determines filtering efficiency or efficacy. However, there is a test for filtering efficiency and it would show they do a "good job" filtering, does K&P Engineering provide the results from those standardized tests?

I agree with ZeeOSix, please post this PDF that K&P Engineering provided.


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: kschachn] #5233098 10/07/19 03:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
M
Mike_H Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
It's not my car, not my UOA, not my pics.

I've provided a link to the thread. I registered for the site, but waiting on moderator approval, have questions for the car owner.

Would love to see the thread that showed no filter UOA, I couldn't find it. At the very least, I would expect wear metals to rise significantly without a filter for a longer run, like the 8584 miles the owner of the BMW ran.

Link to K & P UOA thread

Last edited by Mike_H; 10/07/19 03:49 PM. Reason: correct mileage
Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: Mike_H] #5234263 10/08/19 08:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,438
S
splinter Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,438
Originally Posted by Mike_H
...The doc seems to place the blame on the owners...
Welcome back to BITOG.

Probably best to blame the owners.


PUP 0W-40
Total Quartz 5W-40
M1 5W-50

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: splinter] #5234668 10/09/19 09:07 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
M
Mike_H Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by splinter
Originally Posted by Mike_H
...The doc seems to place the blame on the owners...
Welcome back to BITOG.

Probably best to blame the owners.


Well, I bought one, so that is my fault, but I did that based on a lot of glowing reviews by owners, all anecdotal, before I found the UOA and the collapsed filter.

Now I'm concerned that the filter works well but has a very small amount of media that it can only handle a small amount of contaminants and will collapse in the event that anything more than a modest amount gets caught.

I'm concerned that a clogged filter with no bypass could cause a catastrophic engine failure.

Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: Mike_H] #5234946 10/09/19 01:58 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23,688
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 23,688
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Now I'm concerned that the filter works well but has a very small amount of media that it can only handle a small amount of contaminants and will collapse in the event that anything more than a modest amount gets caught.

I'm concerned that a clogged filter with no bypass could cause a catastrophic engine failure.

These filters don't have a bypass valve? Or are the ones without a bypass valve speced for an older GM engine that has the filter bypass built in to the block.

Re: K & P Engineering filters [Re: ZeeOSix] #5236041 10/10/19 03:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
M
Mike_H Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
I was mistaken. Thought it didn't have bypass because of the pics of the collapsing filter, but the claim is that it has a very sophisticated, progressive rate bypass system. The one I ordered came this afternoon and I can see it has one, but it takes a lot pf pressure to open it.

May or may not install it. Just seems odd that I've found 16 years of people commenting on this or similar filters and only was able to locate 1 UOA, seems like there should be a lot more test data and a lot less anecdotal "evidence."

Something happened in the BMW owner's engine that did the UOA, his filter wouldn't have been clean after 8,500 miles and then clogged and full of large particles after less than 4,000. The question is what went wrong and what caused it?

Posted a comment for the owner who did the UOA, but they haven't replied.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™