Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 in a Honda 2.4L

My fiancée's 2007 Honda Accord 2.4 has an oil consumption problem. When I met her 4 years ago the car had 90K miles and consumed approx 1 qt every 4K miles. Now, with 139k, it consumes 1 qt every 2K. I have tried BG EPR, HM oils and higher viscosity oil without consistent success.

I have decided to try Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30 to clean the piston rings. Valvoline and Cummins developed this oil together to address oil consumption issues on in-warranty ISX15 engines. The directions are to run it for one service interval with a synthetic media filter. More information can be found here:

https://volvo.cummins.com/cloud/cum...ine%20Premium%20Blue%20Restore%20Oil.pdf

The oil costs approximately $80/gal and can be purchased from any Cummins parts dealer. It also has a very unusual sweet smell; the smell reminds me of a household cleaning product.

I will keep this thread updated.

4D7F2F3C-6243-4FC4-88B8-E3413A7EF934.jpeg

95D32F27-2B18-4554-B529-E4E597573704.jpeg

9786D183-597C-4DBA-8247-EA64A8C00C9D.jpeg

Looking forward to the updates. I was just about to order this for the wife's 2000 Accord before it got destroyed, so it will be interesting to see your results!

Do you plan on pulling the filter every XXXX miles to monitor?

Last edited:
I think it was you that said in an earlier thread that you planned on running it for 10K.. so at 1qt/2K miles all that oil will be gone.. what are you going to replace the lost oil with?

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I think it was you that said in an earlier thread that you planned on running it for 10K.. so at 1qt/2K miles all that oil will be gone.. what are you going to replace the lost oil with?

Good point... better go get another jug and make that a $160 oil change. But I suppose it's cheaper than pulling the rings on a 140k mile car.

What's in BG EPR?..is that a flush?

OP, have you tried soaking the cylinder?

You usually have to do more than one flush and/or soaks to achieve any meaningful cleaning effect, especially on what are likely very dirty rings. (140k miles)

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Looking forward to the updates. I was just about to order this for the wife's 2000 Accord before it got destroyed, so it will be interesting to see your results!

Do you plan on pulling the filter every XXXX miles to monitor?

I wasn't planning to. This car sees 6-8K miles/yr so the plan is to run this oil and filter for a full 12 months. Should I consider a mid-way filter change?

I will top off with the same oil. I may even purchase a 3rd jug to perform a treatment on the Prius.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
1qt in 2k miles is not a lot but it would be unacceptable to me too.

Usually by 2K (into a fill) the engine is 1 qt low. If I add an additional 1 qt, I can usually make it to 4k and the level will still be above minimum. Not sure why.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Just wondering. Where did you read that this product is safe and recommended for gasoline engines? Wasn't the old "Restore" product in the 12-16 ounce can harsh itself?

It is definitely not "approved" for use in gasoline engines but many people on this site use diesel-rated engine oils in their gas engines. Theoretically, this oil was developed specifically to clean piston rings and I think the type of build up in this area of the engine is quite similar in all types of internal combustion engines.

I am not super familiar with the "restore" product in the metal can but I don't think it has any relation to this Valvoline product.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The sweet smell is ester. I'm subscribing to the thread also. I look forward to seeing the results.

Interesting. I guess this sorta validates the 30-50% POE content that has been mentioned in various threads.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Two bottles of lubegard might clean up those lands.

BioTech?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Good point... better go get another jug and make that a $160 oil change. But I suppose it's cheaper than pulling the rings on a 140k mile car.

What's in BG EPR?..is that a flush?

OP, have you tried soaking the cylinder?

You usually have to do more than one flush and/or soaks to achieve any meaningful cleaning effect, especially on what are likely very dirty rings. (140k miles)

EPR is an engine flush additive by BG.

I have not tried soaking the cylinder. Neither Kreen or the old-version of the GM top-end cleaner are not available in CA so the lack of potent chemicals forced me to dismiss the idea.

Which Lubegard? What's your basis for that claim? I contacted Lubegard and they specifically state that the BioTech/Heavy Duty Engine Protectant does NOT remove sludge/carbon etc. so I'm curious at which product will.

" Neither Kreen or the old-version of the GM top-end cleaner are not available in CA so the lack of potent chemicals forced me to dismiss the idea

Funny, in the land so concerned about emissions they deny people products to help clean up an obvious oil burner....kinda silly no?

Good Luck...I too will be watching this closely as that Valvoline stuff interests me greatly...thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Which Lubegard? What's your basis for that claim? I contacted Lubegard and they specifically state that the BioTech/Heavy Duty Engine Protectant does NOT remove sludge/carbon etc. so I'm curious at which product will.

Maybe he's referring to their engine flush? Dunno..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DKN9MM/ref=psdcmw_15718821_t2_B000F2EPHW

Back