Motorcraft FG1114

I cut open a used Motorcraft FG1114 which saw about 20k miles on my mercury grand marquis.

I didn't take many pictures because there wasn't much to look at. The filter wasn't that dirty and it looked like it held up fine. I counted 45 pleats on the filtration media.

IMG_20191006_115224961.jpg

IMG_20191006_115231101.jpg

What possessed you to change a gas filter at only 20K?

Yesterday I changed mine. It had only 49K on it but was 14 years old.

The medium darkened a lot from the familiar yellow-tan seen above.

Also, my medium had what appeared to be a black coating on it's tank side. I don't know if it was dirt or a resin coating.

What tool did you use?

The car is at 125k miles. The manual recommends 30k mile intervals for this, so I do it approx every 25k miles. Since the car was at 125k I felt it would be easy to remember when I hit 150k even though the filter only went 20k miles.

What tool did you use?

this one

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DJapplecrisp

The car is at 125k miles. The manual recommends 30k mile intervals for this, so I do it approx every 25k miles. Since the car was at 125k I felt it would be easy to remember when I hit 150k even though the filter only went 20k miles.

What tool did you use?

this one

I don't know what year your G.M. is but mine (2003) used the same filter with the plastic clips holding the lines in place, which get replaced with the new filter. Good for you being pro active with the fuel filter. You could trash a fuel filter at 500 miles with one bad tank of gas so 20k is not out of the ordinary..

Last edited:
Back