2017 GMC Terrain oil change...help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents purchased a 2017 GMC Terrain recently. I will be performing oil changes on it.

What I am needing to find out is, what size oil drain plug do these use, and does GM use a crush washer on these?

Since this is BITOG, I do plan on using an A/C Delco oil filter, and either Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. The interval will be 5K miles or whenever the oil life monitor goes off. Whichever comes first.

Gold Plug claims an AP-02 application here for both the 2.4 and the 3.6.
M14 x 1.5 threads with a 17mm hex head.

OEM may differ in the hex.

If you have the 2.4, the best oil filters to use are Hengst, Mann, and Purflux.

Hengst is the OE supplier, and Purflux used to be the OE supplier. Purflux uses those chevron pleats which may help against buckling

Hengst E630H is the actual OE oil filter (ACDelco PF457G/)

The PF457G does NOT include a new O-ring!
crazy2.gif

If you want one, there is the PF457GO
(if you ever need a new cap, the PF458G includes the filter, cap, and O-ring)

The Hengst "aftermarket" filter in the Hengst box does include an O-ring
smile.gif

One O-ring, ONE OCI
lol.gif

The Purflux part number is L264A (and yes, it includes an O-ring)

The drain plug has a built in o-ring that will last the life of the vehicle.

The o-ring on the filter cap is NOT supposed to be replaced, that's why the AC Delco filter does not include one. For some reason the aftermarket filters include one that is a much lesser quality than OEM.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you have the 2.4, the best oil filters to use are Hengst, Mann, and Purflux.

Hengst is the OE supplier, and Purflux used to be the OE supplier. Purflux uses those chevron pleats which may help against buckling

Hengst E630H is the actual OE oil filter (ACDelco PF457G/)

The PF457G does NOT include a new O-ring!
crazy2.gif

If you want one, there is the PF457GO
(if you ever need a new cap, the PF458G includes the filter, cap, and O-ring)

The Hengst "aftermarket" filter in the Hengst box does include an O-ring
smile.gif

One O-ring, ONE OCI
lol.gif

The Purflux part number is L264A (and yes, it includes an O-ring)

I found that PF458G on Amazon for less than $8.00 shipped. Sounds like a deal.

Oil the oil filter oring then install oil filter in housing making sure it is fully seated then oil cap oring install cap. Easiest oil change you will do. I believe the cap used a 1 1/4 shallow socket.

Originally Posted by dishdude

The o-ring on the filter cap is NOT supposed to be replaced, that's why the AC Delco filter does not include one. For some reason the aftermarket filters include one that is a much lesser quality than OEM.

Interesting, didn't know that. The nearby Autozone never seems to have the AC Delco in stock. I've used the STP filter that comes with an o-ring and replaced it. Never had a leak, though.

Originally Posted by dishdude

That is correct. If you see a blue or orange O-ring - reuse it. The black one that comes with most filters is not as durable and requires replacement at each change but they may last 2 OCI's. The OEM one is designed for many uses. I did, however, replace the one on my 08 CTS last year lol - cheap insurance for a well used O-ring!

Last edited:
I did the same thing when I started changing the oil on my 2011 Terrain. I didn't realize that the O ring was a life time ring that GMC does not want you to replace. I ended up ordering a new OEM on eBay a few years ago and have been using it ever since. The OEM part number is 12580255 if you want to order one on ebay. It only cost a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back