Castrol 5w40 vs Castrol 0w40

And some other from this thread "It's nitpicking to some extent, but higher Noack of Edge 5w-40 indicates lower quality oil bases. It's one of the reasons it cannot meet MB 229.5 spec.

Since Edge 0w-40 is the same price or less and meets more stringent MFG specs, most people just don't see a reason to buy the 5w-40 stuff."

Here on 2nd page of this topic "Forget about using Castrol 5w40. It is the only synthetic I have ever seen that leaves varnish in an engine. Use Castrol 0w40 instead."
I heard that European Castrol better...
Also I read in some Audi forum that guy hated 5w40 ... and some other guys told him about GC 0w40 .. it like day and night !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cheburashka
I heard that European Castrol better...

European Everything is better. Especially Swiss Formula.

Reminds me discussions on various metric systems.

5w-40's VW 502 and MB 229.3 lag behind typical 0w-40 specs, like 229.5

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wow, makes me reconsider my recent purchases! I've used Castrol EDGE 0W-40 oil for a while with good results but wanted to see about using the more "approved" 5W-40 weight and just purchased it from Walmart (online) for $22.xx (same price as their 0W-40 oil). My OCI is ~4K miles with my Turbo Optima. I liked that according to the specs I read, it had better figures (and only a touch higher NOACK). It seemed like it was a "toughener" oil so now I'm doubting what I thought.

Comments??

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Wow, makes me reconsider my recent purchases! I've used Castrol EDGE 0W-40 oil for a while with good results but wanted to see about using the more "approved" 5W-40 weight and just purchased it from Walmart (online) for $22.xx (same price as their 0W-40 oil). My OCI is ~4K miles with my Turbo Optima. I liked that according to the specs I read, it had better figures (and only a touch higher NOACK). It seemed like it was a "toughener" oil so now I'm doubting what I thought.

Comments??

I doubt it will hurt anything

Comments??

It is step down compared to 0W40.

Comments??

For 5w40 try any other 229.5 oil like M1 Formula M, Motul 8100, or even Mercedes OEM. AAP/Carquest stores also stock Pentosin which is also an amazing oil.

Bump...

Nitpicking, as what's important is the desired VW approval. If that/those approvals are the same, the oil meets the same performance requirements and will be serviceable for the same interval. Again, final product is more important than individual ingredients.

Link to my recent UOA using Castrol 5w40 in my 2018 Passat. It's really good oil and now meets MB 229.5. It is entirely Grp III however unlike 0w40's partial PAO content. The 0w40 also boasts Titanium which this dealer fill lacks, however I am now seeing Ti advertising on the label of the Walmart 5w40 jugs. While the 0w40 is technically superior I doubt I could have obtained any better results over the 5w40.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...assat-gt-vr6-castrol-oe-5w40#Post5375375

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Link to my recent UOA using Castrol 5w40 in my 2018 Passat. It's really good oil and now meets MB 229.5. It is entirely Grp III however unlike 0w40's partial PAO content. The 0w40 also boasts Titanium which this dealer fill lacks, however I am now seeing Ti advertising on the label of the Walmart 5w40 jugs. While the 0w40 is technically superior I doubt I could have obtained any better results over the 5w40.

From other UOA 0W40 retains KV100 mch better as well as TBN.
Put 0W40 and do UOA.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Put 0W40 and do UOA.

That UOA is excellent for 9500 miles. No issues.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by edyvw

Put 0W40 and do UOA.

That UOA is excellent for 9500 miles. No issues.

Drop in kinematic viscosity is big.

Menards is selling the GTL based PP Euro 0w40 for a very good price now. Looking at that for the next OCI in the Tiguan. I wonder if the high VI GTL oils fare better against shear?

Back