Engine popped after running out of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the manufacture spec
( this is a LS2 based engine with LS2 heads non interference engine)
Oil Filter 30Y 22 lb ft

Oil Pan Drain Plug 25Y 18 lb ft

I HIGHLY DOUBT with the space clearance you you could hand tighten it to 22 lb ft..

. see the photo there is no clearance to hand tighten the oil filter to 22lb ft..

I have done more than I can count and never torqued an oil filter. All manufacturers state lube and hand tighten only. I usually lube , make contact with gasket then half round. I usually can fill if it tightened enough. Have to be careful and not squeeze gasket out. Your picture shows no one wiped off filter from install but not a leak as there is not enough oil on pan in that tight area. Not an oil filter leak proplem. Leak is somewhere else.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I have done more than I can count and never torqued an oil filter. All manufacturers state lube and hand tighten only. I usually lube , make contact with gasket then half round. I usually can fill if it tightened enough. Have to be careful and not squeeze gasket out. Your picture shows no one wiped off filter from install but not a leak as there is not enough oil on pan in that tight area. Not an oil filter leak proplem. Leak is somewhere else.

excuse me but my oil is clean at the oil change when i had it changed at 90k I changed at 4k OCI miles when the oil was changed it had very few carbon flakes floating in it unless you looked up close

so these carbon flakes did not magically appear..

you can clearly see carbon flakes in the oil in the droplet oil on on the filter as the oil had burned to a crisp

Hey have you ever had burger king you know those black lines on the meat?

THAT is Carbonized oil from the last few weeks of burgers (that is why sometimes they taste like stale oil) SAME thing happens in a engine that overheats the oil it get carbon flakes floating around in the oil ...

if the oil overheated that means one thing it was low on oil...
(i don't eat them as the carbon makes me sick and sore throat)

one of the main reasons for taking it to the shop is to have the oil disposed of correctly plus i'm not allowed to do anywork on my car where i live (grounds for eviction or No renewal of lease ) I can look but i can't touch.. ..
this is the torque specs for the LS2 based engine
https://paceperformance.com/files/pdf/ls2-torque-specs.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

excuse me but my oil is clean at the oil change I changed at 4k miles while the oil had very few carbon flakes floating in it

you can clearly see carbon flakes in the oil in the droplet oil on on the filter as the oil had burned to a crisp

Hey have you ever had burger king you know those black lines on the meat?

THAT is Carbonized oil from the last week of burgers SAME thing happens in a engine that overheats the oil it get carbon flakes floating around in the oil ...

if the oil overheated that means one thing it was low on oil...

Lol First off the lines on burgers are from hot grate
Ask me how I know
Second those Tahoe's are known for failure within a short time after mileage is up. Oil loss and lower fuel mileage are signs lifters are sticking. You can try and convince yourself otherwise but facts remain the same as this is a known problem with that engine. Hopefully you bought extended warranty. I was master tech for GM so I had to inspect claims for insurance company where customer claimed oil change place screwed up and from the photo you have no proof that it was there fault. You even stated that you checked oil and it was little low then later after on a trip it was 5 qts low but still had oil pressure. Vehicle has 90k on it so the most they would do is used engine if you are lucky cause as insurance goes it is based on 100k and you already used 90% of engine according to this. Been there seen it before.

Last edited:
Also the reason I don't change oil before a trip. If I am going to be close to mileage I change a week ahead as not to have a break down.

This👆 should be a golden rule but unfortunately it's not. Heard too many stories of people breaking down on a long road trip and it's because they decided to monkey around with something that was working just fine.. like the cooling system or tranny fluid change.

If you're concerned if the tranny or cooling system is up to a long road trip, the fluids should be the least of your worries. And unless it's a cross country trip, a few extra miles on a lube ain't gonna grenade the engine

Last edited:
OP is definitely a troll, I bet this thread gets locked. It's getting silly.
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back