Crown Vic; switching viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Crown Vic with 58k, 4.6 SOHC. It's been ran with syn 5w-20 for all it's life, and after reading some posts on a Crown Vic forum, I am curious. The Vic was spec'd for 5w30, that was switched in 2001 to 5w20, which some claim is due to CAFE standards... the only difference I can think of during that year range was Ford using PI heads on 02 and beyond CVs.

Some also advocate the use of 0w-20 in the winter, and a 5w in the summer.

I am not super experienced with a lot technical aspects of oil. Just wondering what some of the more experienced oil folks have to say about 5w-20/30 and 0w-20 in the 4.6 2v SOHC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
write all 3 choices on slips of paper, put them in a hat, and draw one.

that 4.6 will not have qualms with any of them. change it at a reasonable interval, follow the recommended maintenance schedule, that thing will go a half million miles/out last the body.

Just a small correction for the sake of accuracy: Ford start using the PI engines in all Panthers in 2001, not 2002.

Beyond that, I echo what earlyre said. The 4.6 really doesn't care what oil it gets. As long as it meets Ford's spec. Case in point: many (many) municipalities use whatever low-bid oil the town barn is buying this month and the engines still live long and happy live...Many go on to become taxis and go another 200,000 miles on top.

Thank you guys for the quick responses! I appreciate the insight! Perhaps I will do 0w this winter.

Originally Posted by earlyre
write all 3 choices on slips of paper, put them in a hat, and draw one.

that 4.6 will not have qualms with any of them. change it at a reasonable interval, follow the recommended maintenance schedule, that thing will go a half million miles/out last the body.

+1

I've stuck with the original designed specced oil of 5w-30. In summer I'll sometimes use 10w-30. I did use 5w-20 for a few years until I found out that the spec was changed. Some of the fleets used upwards of 15w-40 in these vehicles. If anything, I'd lean towards a heavier grade oil. The winters in CT/MA don't even come close to benefiting from a 0w-20 oil. Lots of old threads on this same topic and plenty of info if you google it. I dug out some old articles by Ford design engineers and shop owners who serviced lots of these cars. From my reading I decided 5w-30 was preferential. And as these engines get older - it makes even more sense to increase the viscosity back towards original design specs.

Last edited:
As the owner of an 09 MGM, I've often wondered about switching. In the end I'm always too cheap to get UOAs and the one time I ran 5w30 was with a Fram TG2 - I had way too much start-up chatter and ended up draining it after 1000 miles. After filling back up with magnatec 5w20 and an fl-820s filter, back to the normal 1\4 sec of timing chain rattle and no other noise. In retrospect it was probably the filter, but I don't really have any reason to try the 30w again.

At 178k miles, I'm sticking with 5w20 in whatever brand I can find the cheapest until I have noticeable oil consumption and fl-820s filters until I find another that filters better AND makes less noise at start-up.

I have M1 0w20EP HM in my 01 P71. Haven't tested it. After 7000 miles, it hasn't burned a drop though.

I currently own 2 police vics right now a 09 and a 10. Luckily I was able to get records on my 09 since my mechanic buddy also works for the city that auctioned it off......hehe

Interesting enough they were using 5W30 Castrol entire time since new and she runs great !!!

But did have a local well known shop tell me over the summer NOT to use 5W30 in these 4.6's ???

Might be using my stash of "free" Mobil super syn 5W20 I scored @ Pep Boys for this winter..... Gonna be in Chicago and it gets a little cold out there in the winter lol

Dave

When I had my 05 Crown Vic ran over 300K miles on 5w20 Mobil 1 AFE and sometimes 5w20 Motorcraft synthetic blend from the dealer. No issues whatsoever. No make up oil needed for the 5-7K miles OCI. Only used Motorcraft Filters. I did both highway and gridlock driving. .

At one time my entire family had 4.6 Panthers. All 4 used nothing but 5w20. Mostly Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by GMguy84

But did have a local well known shop tell me over the summer NOT to use 5W30 in these 4.6's ???

That dude knows nothing.

The 4.6 SOHC in my F150 has seen straight 30W (Rotella) and clearance 10W-40 Pennz with ZERO issues or weird sounds/noises.
(I tow a LOT of *heavy* loads in hot weather, too)

In the winter, I usually run whatever 5W-20 I managed to get on sale/clearance

Find out what the big city taxi companies use when they hit 400,000 miles.
Probably the cheapest bulk stuff available.
This is an engine that seems very robust.

Perhaps using a 0w-30 would be the best bet. If you are a frequent wintertime traveler to colder climates , I'd just use this grade year round. If you just stay local, 5w-30.

I've used 5w-30 in my 2v 4.6 Mustang for Almost 20 years.

It might be one of the most bombproof motors out there. It was originally spec'd for 5w-30, but it won't hurt to run 5w-20 either.

If I have options I will usually take the thicker oil, given my climate.

I have a 97 T-bird with the 4.6 and I've run 5w30, 10w30 and even 5w20, didn't really notice any difference at all between the 3 and this car is only driven in summer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back