Do you guys replace your spare tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the heck do you remove the spare from the roof? Do you carry a ladder with you? Unless you're 7 feet tall it's got to be pretty awkward to something that heavy off the roof when you are standing on the ground.

I will with my Rubicon when the time comes. I have been doing a 5 tire rotation and want to eventually swap out the OE tires with Goodyear Dura Trac tires.

The spare on the Equinox and Silverado are still original. I check the air pressure once every month or so. The spares will get changed out the next time new tires are put on (at least another 6-7 years).
The spare on the 442 was new when it was restored a few years ago. I'll probably replace it when I replace tires in 2-3 years.
The spare on the back of the T was new 10 years ago and still looks new. If the day comes that I replace the tires I'll replace it as well.

In my personal vehicles unless im going on a road trip I would change it if it was more than 7+years old. In the fleet normally they get rotated with the rest.
So yes anything old enough IMO replace with at least a used good date spare. Unless you have one of those doughnut spare tires.

When I replace the tires on a car with a full sized spare I mark the best of the old ones with chalk and have it mounted on the spare.

Still have the original spare tire on my 83 Silverado, been sitting in the box for the last 30+ yrs, put air in it on occasion when checking the rest of the tires, been thinking about replacing but she still holds air, don't think i would drive it very far or fast if i had to use it.
cheers3.gif

I have had to use a spare tire on a lengthy trip to get me back home (several hundred miles) because I wanted to get back to my hometown tire shop because the tire that blew was unrepairable and none of the shops that were open had a match. So for me, a spare needs to be as serviceable as the rest of the tires. I replace at 10-15 years if they look in good shape, earlier if not. I don't buy cars without a full size spare; that obviously really narrows my choices. I'm sure there will come a day that I'll have to change my mind about that I suppose...

Back in the days when I bought beaters that still had bias ply spares, I would replace them with a used radial on the earliest opportunity. Usually, the best takeoff from a set of old radials being replaced.

Nowadays, not so much, especially with space-saver spares, but I'll probably replace my 01 Dakota spare soon, it's at 19 years and that's too old.

Just used 02's Focus spare tire for the first time last night, date code of 2001. I was wondering the same thing but maybe I'll grab a spare full size rim from PNP someday. I told my wife to go no faster than 55 but she drove 45-55 and it held up fine. Had to air it up a little so that's on the list for the rest of the fleet this weekend.

I assume you are going to put that tire back in the trunk in the next day or so. If so, your words to your wife were on point, but I would add that she ought to be on the lookout for a vibration that slowly gets worse. If that happens, the tire is separating and you need to find an IMMEDIATE replacement (such as fixing the reason the spare is on there in the first place.)

I still have the original spare on my 88 E-150. The tire is mounted on the rear cargo door, and covered. Visually it looks as good as it did in 1987 when I took title to the van. It will get me where I have to go should I get a flat and need it. OTOH I will be replacing the spare on my 2016 Wrangler since I have been doing 5 tire rotations.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Just used 02's Focus spare tire for the first time last night, date code of 2001. I was wondering the same thing but maybe I'll grab a spare full size rim from PNP someday. I told my wife to go no faster than 55 but she drove 45-55 and it held up fine. Had to air it up a little so that's on the list for the rest of the fleet this weekend.

Did you toss the flat tire into the trunk to test out the space? Few years ago the wife lost a tire; I went to put the full sized flat into the spare's place, and it wouldn't fit. So no go on having a full sized spare in her car (I could have one lying around at home, but that's no good a long ways from home).

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I will with my Rubicon when the time comes. I have been doing a 5 tire rotation and want to eventually swap out the OE tires with Goodyear Dura Trac tires.

GY DT's are a very popular LT tire around here for folks who get dirty …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by demarpaint

GY DT's are a very popular LT tire around here for folks who get dirty …

They're the reason for the 5 tire rotations!
wink.gif
Those are going on it next.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
I assume you are going to put that tire back in the trunk in the next day or so. If so, your words to your wife were on point, but I would add that she ought to be on the lookout for a vibration that slowly gets worse. If that happens, the tire is separating and you need to find an IMMEDIATE replacement (such as fixing the reason the spare is on there in the first place.)

Didn't think about the vibration but she's pretty good at noticing vibrations so she would called at any indication.

Originally Posted by supton

Did you toss the flat tire into the trunk to test out the space? Few years ago the wife lost a tire; I went to put the full sized flat into the spare's place, and it wouldn't fit. So no go on having a full sized spare in her car (I could have one lying around at home, but that's no good a long ways from home).

Good point, haven't yet but might as well check. The Festiva's wouldn't accept a full size spare, it'll be close on the Focus. Most likely this car will blow up within a year so probably won't do anything.

That is a good idea
smile.gif

I always replace stupid donuts with full-size spares. And a full size will fit in your Focus.

If you can't get to the junkyard, you can always buy a rim on eBay, or even a wheel and tire package already mounted from Tire Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back