Fify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just venting but I hate when people quote a person, change the quote in their post and the type fify.

I wish it could be that quotes could not be edited.

On my phone, hope my sentence is understandable. ...ƒ

And I know some smart person is going to quote me and fifm.

Originally Posted by BeerCan

And I know some smart person is going to quote me and fify.

Fixed it for ya
smile.gif

Disclaimer: this post was to actually let people know what fifm/fify was? as I had no clue until google.

I like to fix them and not even mention it. But mostly just spelling errors. No one seems to notice, or at least no one comments on it.

As to fify, just another legitimate debate method.

Changing a quote is not really a legit debate method. I should not have to explain the reasons why.

Changing a quote is not really a legit debate method. I should not have to explain the reasons why.

It's paraphrasing and distorting what the other party said. Happens all the time. Hence the complaint.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

It's paraphrasing and distorting what the other party said. Happens all the time. Hence the complaint.

The whole direction that society is going lately is to distort everything, so seems fitting these days, lol.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359

And it is candidly a underhanded move in a high number of instances...

Last edited:
I had no idea what fify was. Why don't you explain what your issue is instead of putting an abbreviation that is not well know?
Just venting, but I hate when people type little known abbreviations instead of typing out what they mean.
I wish people could not use text speak on this forum.

I edit quotes all the time. It is really annoying when I see someone quote a multi quote with a bunch of pics when responding to just one portion of a post.
I don't need to quote a wall of text when I am just wanting to respond to one small point.
When I quote, I do not change a quote (correct spelling, grammar, puncuation, etc), I just remove the parts that I am not responding to, and when I do that, I always put ... before and after what I cut out.
I am not editing a quote to change what the user said, just narrowing the part I am responding to.
One thing I don't like about this forum is that the quote is not hyperlinked to the original post. Most forums have that feature.

Sorry you did not know that acronym, I felt it was pretty commonly understood, but as pointed out google is a great resource for things like this.

Also I am not talking about editing down a quote for size or to address a certain point. I am talking about when someone changes words in the quote to change it's meaning.

For example poster 1
I think Ford has the best cars

Poster 2
I think Chevy has the best cars

FIFY

Last edited:
Certain members just have to recycle large blocks.
Don't get that - so to minimize scrolling space - I will edit out a long post - but not change the sentence or two that I wish to comment about.

Changing words or rearranging the quote that changes the context of the original should be discouraged. If someone wants to do that then they should present it in their own reply and defend why they changed it.

Then again, correction of spelling and grammar usually brings a backlash from some. A sad testimony of today's education system.

Sorry you did not know that acronym, I felt it was pretty commonly understood, but as pointed out google is a great resource for things like this.

Yes, I can google and is how I found out what it meant (although google wants to define yify, not fify, so even google does not think it is that common), but to help with a point, it needs to be clear, and abbreviations that have need to be clarified (or researched) are not helpful.
If you had typed "Fixed It For You (FIFY)" in the title or somewhere in the original post, it would have been perfectly clear.
Crap, makes me think of writing papers using the American Psychological Association (APA) format in school (see what I did there
wink.gif
) .

As for changing quotes, I don't think I have seen it, but don't pay close attention to those things. Also agree it is wrong.

Curious if you have any examples?

Originally Posted by blupupher

Yes, I can google and is how I found out what it meant (although google wants to define yify, not fify, so even google does not think it is that common) ...

The Google link I gave earlier is specifically for FIFY.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The Google link I gave earlier is specifically for FIFY.

Yes, but when I went to google (before you posted) and typed in "fify" it gives me results for yify, and I then have to click on fify to get the correct results.
If it had been typed out completely in the first post, half of the posts in this thread would not be here. (including these last 3).

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back