Idiot put 4qts in 250cc Ninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well see....the first 2 quarts went RIGHT THROUGH! Yep, no drain plug!

Since the bike "rejected" that SuperTech MC 10W-40 Synthetic....I put in Mobil 1 MC 10W-40.

Yep, I was the "idiot" and think I will just say it was the thorough oil pan flush I do every 22,000 miles.

First bike I ever owned was one of those, back in 1994. Good little bike, rode the snot out of it for about 20,000 miles and bought a ZX6E the next year. Wish I still had that one. Very good all around bike. Not the fastest, but a good ride.

I've done that too. 5 quarts though. Nice flush if the engine. Oil pan was full of dirty oil that mixed with the good oil so I couldnt pour it back in.
frown.gif

lucky for me I had another 5 qt jug in the garage. Wont do that again for a long time at least.

Originally Posted by user52165
I am bike illiterate. Is there a filter?

There is a cartridge filter stock, but I replaced that unit with a machined adapter that allows the use of a spin on filter. The same filter as our Honda CR-V. I had the filter on but took a break and forgot to put that darned drain plug in when I returned to duty.

So this was not an intentional flush?

I thought your reference to idiot was in jest.

Last edited:
So this was not an intentional flush?

I thought your reference to idiot was in jest.

Not at all intentionally done. 2 quarts right onto the vinyl mat under the machine to catch "drips". BIG MESS!!!!

Last edited:
Don't feel bad. Been changing various oils for the last 25 years and the last trans oil change on the Acura I forgot to put the drain plug back in. Luckily the pan was still under it and I only dumped 1qt, but still, felt ultra-stupid.

Fumoto

Still have to close it.
I did a 5 qt flush on my Santa Fe when I put on my drain valve. Just forgot to close it after I installed it.
33.gif

I had just poured in the 6th qt of oil and stepped back and heard a weird sound, looked to see oil draining out of the new valve. Grabbed the empty jug and caught about 1 qt of the oil, but 5 qts had gone into the drain pan with the old oil.

I hate that word FUMOTO. Its a 1/4 turn globe valve.

Lots of U.S. companies make them.

Fumoto. Must have started with the garbage JDM crazies.

rant over.

As for no drain plug?

Just say no to mind altering substances.

did something similar on a diy oil change on a truck I owned back in 2004 (chevy silverado, 2wd, 4.3l v-6)...forgot to look at old filter coming off; seems the old gasket stuck to mounting adapter, put on new filter, completed oil change, and started it to check for leaks...stepped away for @ 1 minute; saw a big puddle of oil on ground below vehicle...shut off engine, cleaned mess, crawled under truck, and saw where oil leaked from; befuddled I checked tightness of filter...ok then I looked at old filter & saw no gasket! ugh...undid new filter, lost more good oil into drain pan, cleaned everything up, put new filter back on, and rode bicycle to nearest auto parts store to buy more oil...I musta looked frustrated & someone asked what happened; embarrassed I told the story, was told I wouldn't be the last person to do it, and we all chuckled; returned home and put in @ 1 3/4 qts...finished cleaning up after another leak test;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back