Ester oil and plastic camshafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like running top of the line oil in my mower. Why? Because it only takes half a qt, and has no filter, and I want to maximize engine life, so why not? Anyways, I'm debating on trying Redline or Motul, but I'm curious whether this is wise considering that my engine has a plastic camshaft, and I've read that plastics and esters may not play well together. Engine is a Briggs Pro 7.75. I haven't analyzed the oil or anything, but just based on what the oil looked like at the end of the year, my ranking so far is

1- Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 10w30
2- Motorcraft 5w40 Synthetic
3- M1 TDT 5w40 Synthetic.
4- RP SN 10w30 (may be biased result because it was purple to start, but it seemed too thin also. Like a 20w)

The VR1 stayed clean significantly longer than the others. I know that's not scientific, but this began as a brand new engine and has had synthetic since breakin and yearly changes, so I very much doubt it's "because the others cleaned better." The engine sparkles inside, there is nothing to clean. It could be that the engine is only now 100% broken in, and was letting more past the rings the first couple years. I have a small yard, so it maybe gets 60 hours a year. If it continues to keep oil clean longer, I may re run some of the earlier oils and see if there is a change. It's just for fun, my way of being a nerd. (One of them anyways haha) I don't plan to do analysis, but I will be trying the standout oils in my 1959 John Deere 530 gas tractor, so maybe that I will analyze. I don't think even this site has many if any analysis records for one of those!

Just like your car, it's more important to change it than what you use.

I would be willing to bet most mowers don't get yearly changes.

After break-in(5 years ago)the oil in my GCV160 looks clean all year. I've used QSUD, M1, PUP.

I've had the same push mower since 2006. Changed the oil twice with whatever was the cheapest 10w30 at the farm store near me (it takes maybe a little over half a quart). It still runs fine. Small engines / lawnmowers don't really seem to care as long as there is oil in there.

If they are starting to put "plastic" camshafts in lawn mowers and small engines, I would not be stressing this much over what oil you are going to use. Put in what the factory recommends, and be done with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Briggs has used nylon camshafts since the early 90's i have seen plenty on the series 9 engines 3.5 through 3 - 3/4 hp

Last edited:
Kawasaki used plastic cams for a while in the engine in the water cooled John Deere riding mowers. They had big issues with it. Briggs has never had an issue that I know of and they have been doing it for a while. Small engine valve springs are not very strong plus it makes them quieter.

That's funny, but yes, Kawasaki had some issues, most say at around the 1000 hr mark, give or take. I've seen Briggs engines that were totally trashed, and take them apart to get parts, and the cams were always in perfect condition, go figure?

New to one to me, hadn't heard of this one. Not sure if the best oil is going to help here; but it's such a small sump, it won't cost more. My thinking is, it's a small engine, usually made cheaply, but generally understressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back