Auto Shack (Prime Choice Auto) Brake Rotor Quality? Very low cost!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't planning on replacing the rotors on the next brake job on the family beater (Ford Freestar) but then I saw how cheap Auto Shack is selling them and it has me reconsidering. This site used to be Prime Choice Auto which is a super discounted online parts store. I don't know how these guys even make money selling a pair of heavy rotors for $55 shipped to the door.

I normally would not buy from this site because they clearly sell the lowest grade of parts, but for a brake rotor does it really matter these days? It all comes from China and at the minimum they are all made from the same G3000 grade of steel. I always thought that rotors were the part you can just buy the cheapest blank, except in cases where you might want to pay for extra features like cryogenic treatment, e-coatings, and etc...

What do you guys think? Any reason why you should not got for the cheapest rotor blanks?

Look carefully at the return policy. If you have to pay for return shipping on their bad item, that's a big risk.

If you have a micrometer and a dial indicator, you can verify the dimensional quality yourself.

It does matter because the cheap rotors aren't coated. In Canada, you definitely want coated rotors to help stop the rust
smile.gif
08.gif

Powerstop Geomet rotors (or any brand rotors with Geomet coating)

Wagner's E-coated rotors are good stuff. Centric's E-coated rotors are also good.

If EBC offers rotors for your car, they might be worth it. They are mostly made in the UK. They are also coated

If Auto Shack/Prime Choice offers coated rotors, they might be worth getting
smile.gif

I went with Detroit Axle rotors on my F-150 and they were cheap, coated and now I will replace rotors every brake job.

I put a set on my old Cavalier, they were your typical white box generic rotors.
I put about 25k miles on them, were still on the car when I sold it last week.
The pads lasted about 20k, I had my buddy take a light cut off the rotors on his lathe, and I installed some semi metallics from the local Auto Value. They worked well with the better pads for the last 5k, and looked good still when I sold the car.

I typically spend a bit more and opt for Centric or Durago coated rotors, but I had just put a clutch in the car and was short on funds. I think it was around $50 for 2 rotors and ceramic pads shipped to my door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back