XM Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how xm Sirius worked it's way and still does into cars and how many people use it? Must have paid a lot of money or car companies
get a kick back for every subscriber?

Find it a bit aggressive to have that as one of my listening choices...FM/AM/XM...and never going to activate it. Or to have a dedicated button on your dash for it.
Like what about Spotify or some other party?

I did enjoy the trial but with all the streaming music platforms can't see it being sustainable. Oh...I been wrong about a lot though...

Just chattin here...

it is a scam,
I have a device with lifetime subscription, I have not used it in years,
maybe if I am boondocking in the middle of the mojave
I am sure they paid a lot of $$ or promise a cut to the car cos.

Had it in my Duramax and they kept jacking the price up. I called in to cancel it they hung up on me. I called back the next lady told me I'm not authorized to do that. I told her to give me her supervisor I got lost in the transfer. Called back asked right off to talk to a supervisor. Got the supervisor told me I couldn't cancel. Well I told them we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Told them I'd turn them into my Visa. We came to an understanding they cancelled it. They send me a renewal notice every year its never been renewed and never will be!

Never really had that problem. I have it on both cars. I call every six months and get their promo offer which is about $30 for 6 months. Been doing it for years. I call their cancellation department directly and it takes 10 minutes for both cars. I tell them I know they can do it and they've been doing it for years so just skip the skip the script and go to the end. Works every time. Sometimes it's kinda hard to say it with a straight face, but I just say it's too expensive even though they're both Mercedes! They never challenge me on it. For what it is, full price is too expensive as I don't listen to it that much, I also have bluetooth and spotify so don't really need it. Sometimes the playlists get old so I just switch it up once in a while.

I have had XM for 20 years or longer. I mainly use it on the Corvette for 6 months in the summertime and I cancel early. It's worth the extra money IMO to go on long trips and have decant music on all the time. I send money orders or cashiers checks. Do not let them have your credit/debit card number or they will swipe it at will. They always hook it up for me before I even mail the money order because I have had a long history with XM. Maybe they signal the music to everyone before they pay the bill. It's about $2 extra for them to send a statement but totally worth it IMO since it beats having your card swiped automatically.

Wife likes it and uses it a lot on her car. I like listening to it on her car too. If you haggle price it is o.k. About the price of one nice lunch a month.

I have it and love it. Now that they include streaming with their Select package it's even better. No good rock stations in the area here, and SiriusXM has a few.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Had it in my Duramax and they kept jacking the price up. I called in to cancel it they hung up on me. I called back the next lady told me I'm not authorized to do that. I told her to give me her supervisor I got lost in the transfer. Called back asked right off to talk to a supervisor. Got the supervisor told me I couldn't cancel. Well I told them we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Told them I'd turn them into my Visa. We came to an understanding they cancelled it. They send me a renewal notice every year its never been renewed and never will be!

This was my experience as well. XM/Sirius is a company to avoid like the plague. For three cars and one iPhone we were paying about $650 a year. XM/Sirius may offer lower introductory rates, but what they do after that is raise your rate to the "regular" level and start charging you that. They don't ask, it's an automatic renewal. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't pay their own bills!!!!

The only way I'd ever subscribe to XM/Sirius would be to agree to a plan, and then pay by check - but I doubt that's even possible. My point is, NEVER use your credit card with them.

Just 6 months ago our 3 car, 1 iPhone plan came up for renewal. We were going to cancel. My wife and I were embarking on a 3 hour drive. By the time we got through LAYERS and LAYERS of "representatives", we finally were able to cancel. They fought us every step of the way. IT LITERALLY TOOK US 2 1/2 HOURS TO CANCEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had I done this business in person I would have probably been jailed for assault. XM/Sirius is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my 66 years!

Don't believe it? Search on "difficulties cancelling XM". That will tell you all you need to know. XM/Sirius is a company that is not worthy of your business.

Scott

PS Since cancelling I'm using Pandora on my iPhone and bluetooth that to the auto sound system. $4.99 per month, IIRC. It's good enough and the savings are so high it pays for a year's worth of insurance on one of our cars.

It made more sense when it came out in the early 2000s. You'd have a bigger selection of music compared to the stations in your area.

Now with mobile internet, there really is no point in paying for it. Pretty much all smart phones have wireless internet. You can select music on your cellphone and play it in your car via bluetooth or AUX cable.

Since 2009, $25.00- $30.00 every 6 months. call to cancel,and renew with no problems. My fm stations are now like the am stations back in the 70's. Enjoy my classic rock stations.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Wife likes it and uses it a lot on her car. I like listening to it on her car too. If you haggle price it is o.k. About the price of one nice lunch a month.

That's not much help, ZZman. Exactly how much is that? "About the price of one nice lunch a month" doesn't say much. Is that a supersized McDonalds lunch with an Oreo McFlurry for dessert - so $120/year? Or is it a nice sit down lunch for $30 - so $360/year?

You may have a good price now, but just wait until they auto renew on you with a full bore price!

Also too, why is it that XM/Sirius has a business model where people have to negotiate a price for the SAME service? This fact alone is a major red flag that XM/Sirius is SCUM. Price negotiation is common for home and auto purchases, or for some professional services. But not for a service like XM. Contrast XM to Verizon. Verizon has a list of plans, each with their own price. Tehe plans and prices are right on Verizon's website. I pick and choose.

Scott

Never, Never, Never, give Sirius your credit card number. I make them send me an invoice and if I can't convince them to continue to give me the $30 for 6 months offer, I just ignore the invoices.

Right from XM's website. Still want to do business with them?

"OFFER DETAILS: Activate a Select subscription and pay $60 for your first 12 months, a savings of 68% off the current monthly rate of $15.99, plus get free activation (an additional $15 savings). Fees and taxes apply. A credit card is required on this offer. Service will renew every month thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Please see our Customer Agreement for complete terms and how to cancel, which includes calling us at 1-866-635-2349. All fees, content and features are subject to change. This offer cannot be combined with any other and may be modified or terminated at any time. Offer good only on your currently inactive radio."

Deception #1: Fee and taxes will significantly increase their $15.99 month rate (for one car).
Deception #2: Service will renew every month thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. (ours renewed YEARLY)
Deception #3: Offer good only on your currently inactive radio. (In other words, if you're using XM now, you cannot get this $15.99 rate)

And I love this other tidbit - "All fees, content and features are subject to change."

Still want to do business with them? XM/Sirius is SCUM!

Scott

Originally Posted by azjake
Never, Never, Never, give Sirius your credit card number. I make them send me an invoice and if I can't convince them to continue to give me the $30 for 6 months offer, I just ignore the invoices.

azjake, a man who has experienced the pond scum business tactics of XM/Sirius.

Scott

I have had it for decades in many different vehicles. The trick is to call and threaten to cancel. They will give you an "offer", refuse that one and the next one is typically a good one. Currently paying $60 per year (with streaming) and I am OK with that. Of course, I am not OK with the "haggle" process annually, but thus far it has worked to keep the rates steady.

My wife and I love it. I cancel or call around the time it lapses, then talk the price down.

Originally Posted by ZZman

I agree completely; I have SXM in both the 2 Series and the X1. Last December SXM was hot to get the radio in the Clubman reactivated; they sent me an email offering three years for $124 with NO automatic renewal. needless to say, I took the deal.

Never understood those that had problems cancelling it. I have cancelled and renewed multiple times on multiple vehicles. Never once had an issue. Make a call, push a few buttons, get the cancellation (ie retention) department, tell them as soon as they answer I am cancelling and do not want any sales pitch, just cancel. Within 5 minutes it is cancelled.

I actually bought a "lifetime" plan back in 2004 for $500. I used that receiver till 2018 when it finally died. So that worked out to $35/year. My drive to work was 1.5 hours each way, so having commercial free radio was nice. As was taking trips and not having to search for stations when traveling.
I transferred the "lifetime" plan to our current Santa Fe for $75 when the free trial was up, so in less than 18 months, it would be the same as the "special" ($25/5 month, $30/6 month) rate they do.
My wife really likes it, and again, I do to when traveling.
If not for the lifetime plan, I would not have it though.
In my truck I just use Pandora via bluetooth, and my daughter (who has a Sirius receiver in her car, but no subscription) just uses spotify or music on her phone via bluetooth.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
It made more sense when it came out in the early 2000s. You'd have a bigger selection of music compared to the stations in your area.

Now with mobile internet, there really is no point in paying for it. Pretty much all smart phones have wireless internet. You can select music on your cellphone and play it in your car via bluetooth or AUX cable.

+1

and the sound quality is simply awful!

Originally Posted by stockrex
it is a scam,
I have a device with lifetime subscription, I have not used it in years,
maybe if I am boondocking in the middle of the mojave
I am sure they paid a lot of $$ or promise a cut to the car cos.

Most people who live East of the Mississippi call it a "scam" or useless. There are still roads where you cant get a radio or cell phone signal for two hours or more in "The Great West". If you are in the west you know that already.

Just FYI. If you haggle the price it's like $6.00 a month. Yea-the sound quality isn't what it used to be....but like I said your other choice is listening to static. BTW-some of use don't want to download music-or run all over town for .25 cent motor oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back