Drydene 400 at Dover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larson wins at Dover

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

I still think the steering wheel out the window while doing the burnout is epic. Even if NASCAR yells at him whenever he does it.

nascar-cup-michigan-ii-2016-race-winner-kyle-larson-chip-ganassi-racing-chevrolet.jpg

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
Originally Posted by JasonC
Id love to hear your thoughts on how Nascar is thriving. I personally don't understand how you think this is better racing than say 1987-2000 time period.

My God, just turn your channel.

Ha ha!
I particularly don't care for the current state of Nascar but this is still an excellent response.
01.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Yung Money finally wins in a Clover car. Usually that car is cursed.

Yah...He 's an awesome driver with alot of bad luck.

Yung Money finally wins in a Clover car. Usually that car is cursed.

Good to see a new face in victory lane for a change.....been awhile for Larson.

Anybody besides me heading to Dega ???ðŸðŸðŸ

I had long since turned the channel. 20 or so laps of that nonsense was enough.

quote=HemiBenny]
Id love to hear your thoughts on how Nascar is thriving. I personally don't understand how you think this is better racing than say 1987-2000 time period.

Capacity doesn't matter. Half empty is still pitiful. Doesn't matter if we are talking 10,000 seats or 300,000. Nascar is still dying on the vine. No excitement, no need to watch this pitiful excuse of a race. Even listening to Jeff Burton and Jr trying their best to make it seem exciting, when you can tell that they know it's terrible.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree.

My God, just turn your channel.[/quote]

They have resorted to giving their drivers ridiculous nicknames now, "young money" LMAO! Bloody [censored] nascar, what's next, Jimmy "j-dog Johnson.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I have not watched nascar since the 90's. But Young Money??? This guy drives a stock car??

[Linked Image from img.cache.vevo.com]

I had that exact picture in my head when I read that name. I'm sorry but when Dale Sr passed away, so did that sport, and when I stopped watching hardcore, and just gave up about 4-5 years ago. It caught on for a fleeting moment, but then NASCAR and the changing upper brass started ruining it.

Originally Posted by domer10
They have resorted to giving their drivers ridiculous nicknames now, "young money" LMAO! Bloody [censored] nascar, what's next, Jimmy "j-dog Johnson.

Kyle has had that nickname for years on the West Coast. They called him that because he is Japanese and was winning everything out here on dirt. Last week at the oval his son Owen introduced him as that in driver introductions. No different than Jac Haudenschild being called "The Wild Child" or Kyle Strickler being called "the high side tickler" guess its a dirt thing.

Let's see we had the "Intimidator"
"Wild Bill"
"The King"
"Silver Fox"
"Happy Harvick"
And several I can't recall at the moment
So nicknames have been apart of it for a long time

but then NASCAR and the changing upper brass started ruining it.[/quote]

Much like people that whine about NASCAR coming onto a NASCAR thread and ruining it? Don't like it, turn the channel and go away. Jeez.

Last edited:
We have every right to complain because we want Nascar to get back to what made it great.

quote=HemiBenny]
but then NASCAR and the changing upper brass started ruining it.[/quote]

Much like people that whine about NASCAR coming onto a NASCAR thread and ruining it? Don't like it, turn the channel and go away. Jeez.
[/quote]

I'll disagree when Dale senior died the sport died, Gordon and Junior carried them a long ways past that. Dale senior was going to retire in a few years anyway at his age, he would be announcing the races just like the rest of the guys that retire.

No question Dale senior was part of the pinnacle of the sport with his rivalry with Gordon and we did lose something when he died, but we didn't lose the sport.

Look at anything from 15 years ago, the only thing you can count on his change. Nothing stays the same it's inevitable no matter who's on the track.

The demographic has changed and the paying public isn't coming to races.

Brickyard 400 had over a quarter million people there for the first races. What do they have now? I think it was 35,000 people this year?

Sports attendence is down in every sport. The problem is people don't want to, or can't, spent the money to buy the tickets, eat, get there, stay in a hotel, when for the same money you can buy a 80" 4K TV and watch at home. Personally I go to races when I can. I already bought tickets for the race at Auto Club Speedway next year, and have my tickets for the Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ventura Raceway next month.

I really do enjoy watching the races. Going back and watching older races where there are 4 cars on the lead lap and cars are speeding past wrecked cars getting back to the yellow flag. Some are entertaining, but the stages at least keep my interest the whole race.

It was so much more exciting when there was no pit road speed limit, no lucky dog, basic rules that made sense. The only modern rule change in the last 15 years I agree with is making sure the races end under green. Stage racing is bush league nonsense. Pit road speed limit is so the rolling billboards get more tv time. There were never that many crew members hurt on pit road. Bill Elliott made up 2 laps under green at Talladega and still won. No way that is possible today.

Just Mike Rich getting stuffed in the rear wheel well of Bill Elliott's T-Bird in Atlanta when Ricky Rudd spun out on pit road and killed him. So not to many got hurt
Pit road speed limit is one of the best safety rules ever. Nobody needs to die on pit road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back