Tool box organization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see some pics of how the pros organize sockets and wrench's. Mine is a mess looking for ideas.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Delta
If you think that's a mess you should see mine... That's organized in comparison, lol.

I have to say the same about mine lol

Organized chaos for sure. This is my box at home. It's set up just like the one at my work. Top drawer has metric sockets on the right and sae on the left. Ratchets are next to it.

Next drawer is metric wrenches. Below that is sae wrenches. Below that screwdrivers and plyers.

Funny thing is that I know exactly what I have and where it lives in that drawer.

IMG_20191006_114807.jpg

IMG_20191006_114810.jpg

IMG_20191006_114757.jpg

IMG_20191006_114820.jpg

IMG_20191006_114825.jpg

This: Made in the USA

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR03A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

And this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X6DRB2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

And this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRQ32KH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

I spent a lot of time researching this subject and bought several others which I returned. These all come in different sizes and colors for SAE and metric.

The magnetic feature is really nice.

The wrench organizers provide just the right amount of grip to hold yet easily release.Unlike the normal type in which you just lay it in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
This:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR03A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?
Be forewarned, I have that wrench rack as it came OEM with a SK metric set. It's called "Grabber" for a reason: it holds larger wrenches tightly and is not what I would want in a tool box. You want the Snap On style where you can easily reach in and grab a wrench with one hand.

It doesn't hold smaller wrenches so well. I've had my 7 and 8mm wrenches fall out of it more times than I can count.

Your wrenches are a mess but your socket organization is decent.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
This:

Be forewarned, I have that wrench rack as it came OEM with a SK metric set. It's called "Grabber" for a reason: it holds larger wrenches tightly and is not what I would want in a tool box. You want the Snap On style where you can easily reach in and grab a wrench with one hand.

It doesn't hold smaller wrenches so well. I've had my 7 and 8mm wrenches fall out of it more times than I can count.

Your wrenches are a mess but your socket organization is decent.

Are yours from Ernst Manufacturing as I linked? Or something else? Many look alike but are not the same.

Ernst is molded into the front.

They do not fall out and still release with one hand if Ernst.

Last edited:
I would be interested in trying another type of wrench rack. Every one I've ever tried grabs the wrench.

Too thick, too thin, grabs the wrench, wrench falls out???

Most combination wrenches are "average" thickness. The Craftsman/SnapOn standard if that's what we should call it.

But there are thin, which are very handy. They will fit the Ernst type I referenced but won't be retained as well or may not release as well.

There are also very thick types, not common, which may or may not fit.

For most users, they are fine and really do their job - keeping your toolbox neat and organized.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Mine are mostly in 4 tool boxes. I like to keep them mobile because I often take them to friend's places to help them out or I go to Calgary where I can rent a hoist at U Wrench. I just bought a heavy duty metal stand where I can store (and fully open) two tool boxes on the lower level and two toolboxes on the upper level. They are roughly divided by screwdrivers and similar tools in one, pliers and similar tools in another, SI socket set in a third and an English socket set in a fourth.

Last edited:
Are yours from Ernst Manufacturing as I linked? Or something else? Many look alike but are not the same.

That wrench rack is rebranded by many other manufacturers, I recognize the design. The teeth, handle and screw holes are exactly the same, I just checked. The SK is green and has SK molded on the lower third instead of the top third. I guess you know the trick to get them out easily!

I haul my automotive tools in a milk crate and the three smallest sizes always fall out. That wouldn't happen if they were stored in a tool box, obviously. Other than that, it is great.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

That wrench rack is rebranded by many other manufacturers, I recognize the design. The teeth, handle and screw holes are exactly the same, I just checked. The SK is green and has SK molded on the lower third instead of the top third. I guess you know the trick to get them out easily!

I haul my automotive tools in a milk crate and the three smallest sizes always fall out. That wouldn't happen if they were stored in a tool box, obviously. Other than that, it is great.

Easily copied. "Rebranded'??

Do yours have flexible plastic or is it firm that doesn't "give"? Same size does not mean same material.

Last edited:
I only work on motorcycles so it's fairly easy to keep stuff clean.
For sockets I use a variety of storage solutions
[Linked Image]

Wrenches are on Ernst rails mostly.
[Linked Image]

Pliers are in ML tools pliers rack
[Linked Image]

Most screwdrivers are kept in the racks they came in, all Vessel models.
[Linked Image]

Very very nice Fox. Are your Ernst wrench racks one handed or do you need 2 hands to get a wrench?
Looks like the ML do the job as well thanks for the posts!

Originally Posted by P10crew
I would be interested in trying another type of wrench rack. Every one I've ever tried grabs the wrench.

+1 - often requiring 2 hands.

I riveted a magnetic strip to the lid of my roll cart to hang my wrenches from. One magnet was not quite strong enough so I put another below it, but I havent riveted that one. I have it turned backward so that the magnet is stuck to the lid, but it still has enough magnetism on the back side to keep the wrenches in place. I have another one mounted on the side tray holding my ratchet wrenches. I also have one mounted inside of a drawer for my short 3/8" metric impact sockets.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Very very nice Fox. Are your Ernst wrench racks one handed or do you need 2 hands to get a wrench?
Looks like the ML do the job as well thanks for the posts!

The ones in my photo can be used 1 handed easily, the wrenches just lay in them with no gripper in the front.
These are the exact ones and they are magnetic, they also make ones that are not magnetic.
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/eni-6015m/overview/

Thanks fox I just ordered some Ernst stuff on amazon. And I'm going to try 1 set of the vessels. I have 1 old vessel jis in my box and that driver is my go to for Philips. Your box truely is to die for man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back