Change oil filter, but not oil due to rate of consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Toyota Echo has almost 300k miles on it. I use about a quart of high mileage synthetic blend per month/1000 miles. After 5 months and 5000 miles, I only have a quart and a half of the original oil in the car. I keep adding new, clean oil each month.

Can I just change the filter instead of changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles? Maybe take the complete oil and filter change out to 10k miles, or once a year?

I'm in the same boat as you with my beater Subie but can't help myself so I do 2 changes a year including a new filter each time. Guaranteed tp have good oil as long as it's topped up. Cheapest I can find works for me.

Honestly I think that at 300,000 miles you can do whatever you want, and I have certainly heard of people doing it if their cars are using that much oil and their mileage is that high.

My wifes toyota sienna has 100k and uses no oil, manufacturer recommends 10k mile oci anyway. i do 5k because thats when the oil light comes on but sometimes i feel guilty draining out oil that looks that good and skip with no issue.

10k on an oem toyota filter is a no brainer. many of the cheapie filters ([censored] abd supertech) Re claiming 10kmile life.

i cant bring myself to leave a half qt of dirty oil in the engine when changing it so i dont reuse filters but if you are continuously adding oil then ok. change it every 10kmiles. you might just get a clean catch pan and pour the drained oil back in since it will be fairly new and refreshed.

I would get a Fram Ultra or a Mobil 1 filter and leave it on there a year I'd dump the oil twice a year. Probably to with
something like Havoline Pro DS 5w-30 in the box for $19.97 and have two quarts of left over oil to add as needed.

Last edited:
Numerous threads on this over the years, backed up with some UOAs.

At that level of consumption, the consensus has been to change the filter at regular intervals and keep the oil level topped off. I'd grab a Fram Ultra and go 20,000 miles.

Another good use for the Havoline 6 quart box.

Have a compression check and other tests to try and determine what's the cause. In the old days engines were overhauled. Myself I would keep changing the oil and filter at the 5k interval, at the time when it is a bit down. You don't live in the arctic, try 30 good quality detergent oil, won't hurt it to try. Add a can of stp if the 30 doesn't help enough, if they still make it. My
49.gif

I agree with the suggestions to get an extended life oil filter and change just the filter every 12-15k miles. And while you are adding enough fresh oil to justify no longer draining the crankcase, ever... you still want to pull the plug periodically (maybe every every 2-3 years?) to to drain any sediment from the bottom of the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back