Subaru Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to take over oil change duties on my father's low mileage, 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5. He always had the dealer do it and it was expensive. The manual calls for 0w-20 and this is a weight I know little about. I would appreciate any suggestions on oil selection. I plan on sticking with the blue OEM filters.

I take care of all my family members cars for oil changes. My parents, my brothers etc.

For their cars, i usually just tell them to buy a good synthetic that's on sale online. Then either a bosch or a M1 filter.

I just did my mom's mazda 2 yesterday. It calls for 0w20 so i used pennzoil platinum 0w20 with a bosch filter.

I'm not an oil expert like most here but if it's just a regular daily driver, any good syn will do just fine if you use the recommended weight and not go over on the OCI.

Last edited:
no GDI on that engine but,

I would change every 6000 miles or less and check for oil consumption..

although they do have a low oil level light.

Any name brand Synthetic will work. I like Valvoline but last time I used Havoline ProDs as it is cheaper. No proof just my opinion I like Valvoline better. Flip a coin. If you want you can play the rebate game and save even more

Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 has a $10 rebate, I use it in my 2018 Outback and have had excellent results. Use a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter for best results, if you want to save a few dollars use a Fram Tough Guard oil filter instead.

Owned many a Subaru from Justy 3 cylinder commuter to a powerful SVX.

The formulations have changed over the decade and most recently but

Valvoline Modern Engine

Mobil 1 EP ( not AFE )

Castrol GTX Magnetec.

have worked well. For some odd reason we had high consumption with
Penn Plat.

Wanting to try Castrol Edge Gold Bottle.

That Subaru filter is nothing special nor nothing terrible. It just a blue painted Fram with a P gasket and a higher bypass.rating.

Good luck with dads nice legacy.

Is it an oil burner? If not, stay with the 0W-20. I have used M1 AFE, M1 HM, PP, PUP, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple HP, and Idemitsu. The only one I can't recommend is Royal Purple HP. It went through my engine faster than any of the others. I couldn't put a specific reason on why, but my personal favorite is M1.

If it uses oil, I'd ignore the Owner's Manual and use 0W-30. A member on the SubaruOutback forum reported that Subaru replied to his inquiry about oil consumption that didn't qualify for the short block replacement, but was still excessive, in his opinion. Subaru recommended using 0W-30. But if your father's Legacy isn't burning oil, I'd stay with 0W-20.

My cuz, along with a zillion other people, got new engines from Subaru due to oil consumption. Some blame the thin oil.

In WRX, owners recommend 40 weight, 5w-40 Rotella, for the lowest wear.

Common sense in my book with be a light 40 weight that could go a whole year for your dad.

Really, any 0w-40 is perfect, pick one. Do a UOA comparing 0w-40 to a 5w-30 if you really want to tweek it, but 0w-40 is the best bet.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I am going to take over oil change duties on my father's low mileage, 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5. He always had the dealer do it and it was expensive. The manual calls for 0w-20 and this is a weight I know little about. I would appreciate any suggestions on oil selection. I plan on sticking with the blue OEM filters.

Unless this Subie is using oil, I'd stick with the recommended grade.
Not sure about the '13, but later models with this engine have a 6K drain interval recommended, so I'd probably do that.
Our '17 has had only 0W-20 grade oils in its now 31K and it uses so little I can't really see it on drains.
Five quarts in and about that out.

Originally Posted by Zolton
My cuz, along with a zillion other people, got new engines from Subaru due to oil consumption. Some blame the thin oil.

Common sense in my book with be a light 40 weight that could go a whole year for your dad.

Really, any 0w-40 is perfect, pick one. Do a UOA comparing 0w-40 to a 5w-30 if you really want to tweek it, but 0w-40 is the best bet.

WRX is turbo, and recommends 5w30, this is a totally different engine.

the logic that 0w40 is best in a non-turbo, non fuel diluting engine because people recommend it for a totally different application escapes me.

Also the recommended oci is 6k miles/6month these arent good engines to stretch to yearly oil changes.. even with 0w40.

The fb25 was originally spec'ed with 7500mile/7.5month interval.. they backed off on it for a reason.

Originally Posted by Lubener

Don't fix what ain't broken.

Run what you want but food for thought.. SuperTech FS 0w20 is only $14 for 5qts if you're pinching pennies. And when I say pinching pennies it's not like you're compromising much in the way of wear protection by opting for the ST. It's a good lube...

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Impreza. Mine consumes no oil, so I run 6k OCI's with supertech 0w20. Good oil, PQIA tested it and it has solid specs.
If you start to burn oil, first go 50/50 5w30 and 0w20 of the same brand. Then up it to a himi 5w30 if consumption continues.

Aside from a tendency to consume, Subarus are gentle on oil.

Subaru had some of the poorest fuel economy specs of any small car / SUV sold up to 2011. To improve fuel economy, they shrunk / re-designed the old non-turbo EJ 2.5L to a 2.0L in the Impreza / Crosstrek, re-designed the 2.5L engine in the Forester / Legacy / Outback, moved to a CVT automatic tranny, and spec'd 0w20 oil in all the non-turbo 4 cylinder engines.

The 0w20 oil isn't in the engine because it provides better lubrication, or because the " tolerances ... " got tighter. It is in the engine for better fuel economy.

The point is, you don't NEED to use an 0w20 oil. Using a 5w30 or 0w40 won't hurt a thing, and if oil consumption is an issue, it might actually help.

Originally Posted by geeman789

The point is, you don't NEED to use an 0w20 oil. Using a 5w30 or 0w40 won't hurt a thing, and if oil consumption is an issue, it might actually help.

Wait, what?.. actually suggesting one can use a grade not imprinted on the oil cap is just crazy talk! ...‚(sarc)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

WRX is turbo, and recommends 5w30, this is a totally different engine.

the logic that 0w40 is best in a non-turbo, non fuel diluting engine because people recommend it for a totally different application escapes me.

Also the recommended oci is 6k miles/6month these arent good engines to stretch to yearly oil changes.. even with 0w40.

The fb25 was originally spec'ed with 7500mile/7.5month interval.. they backed off on it for a reason.

Maybe because they spec crappy oil?

$18/jug, guaranteed to go a full year

www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-10W-30-5-qt/17128878

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...Synthetic-Motor-Oil-10W-30-5-qt/17128878

M1 EP is NOT guaranteed to go a whole year, that is an advertising claim made by Mobil 1 Annual Protection. The price you posted is incorrect as well, $28+ per jug not $18 and 10w30 is not spec'd for any Subaru.

Due to the fact that the timing chain in a Subaru engine requires a high level of lubrication I would not think of doing an extended oil change interval on any of my Subarus. That is why the Subaru recommended OCI was shortened from 7500 miles to 6000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back