HELP with GEAR LUBE needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle-a 2005 Ford Ranger with open differentials- calls for 80W-90 gear lube.

I'd like to use synthetic but the only 80W-90 synthetic I've found has friction modifiers already mixed in.

Will using lube with friction modifiers in my plain diffs hurt 'em?

Also, a synthetic 75W-90 is available without FMs. Can I use that or are differentials that sensitive to weight?

I need to know as the sales are going on now.

Originally Posted by Kira
Also, a synthetic 75W-90 is available without FMs.

Go ahead and use the 75W-90 without FM's. You can also use it with FM's if you would like....no harm. Most Conventionals are 80W-90

Most light load differentials with out a limited slip don't need anything special oil wise. Synthetic will work slightly better if it gets really cold ... but pretty much any 75/80w90 will work just fine.

And many people NEVER change the rear diff. oil, ever. Not many fail if they have ANY oil in them at all ...

With open differentials it doesn't matter FM's or not. FM's are for posi clutches so they won't chatter when turning. Any 75W90 will do excellent for your Ranger. If you would be pulling something I might jump up to 75W110 in the rear dif, but that's as thick as I would go. Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
I am using Mobil 1 75W-90LS in my B2300 (ranger)

I will advise checking or replacing the diff cover as mine rusted thru in < 10 years.

Esp. since you're up north I would use 75W-90 like the others said. I use Valvoline and had good results with spider gear wear, but I'm sure there are more premium brands out there that may do better.

Our 2017 Explorer comes with a "lifetime" fill of non synthetic 80W-90, Yeah right! At 22,500 miles I vacuumed out as much of the nasty factory fill as I could and added Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90. At 49,000 miles now it's been fine. At around 75,000 miles I'll do another vacuum drain and refill with Amsoil 7W-90. Due to the rear suspension set up it's almost impossible to to remove the rear diff cover as you would usually do, hence vacuuming it out is the most viable way. In cold climates the synthetic 75W-90 gear oil will be helpful vs the non synthetic 80W-90.

Whimsey

+1 Supertech under 6 bucks a bottle. Did the Subaru rear member. It was whining with whatever the Subaru dealer put in.

No Whine now.

Last edited:
You guys are tops.
Oddly, this is the subject which landed on all my "Bob nerves". It was bad.
First, I freaked for not knowing EXACTLY what friction modifiers did....I never knew but I had to know now instantly.
Then the answer to "Why are there 75W AND 80W-90 oils?" somehow had to be VERY important and I had to know.

I was actually uncomfortable. THEN I remembered the pedestrian nature of my trucklette and came back to Earth.

I bought enough Car Quest 80W-90 conventional on sale at AAP for ~$18.00.

If horror fluid oozes from my diffs it can serve as a cleanse. Then I'll make a decision on something fancy.

The Fumoto valve arrived today....and it's not what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back