Washer repair ?

** After typing everything below, I just found our original receipt - we bought it at Lowes in Nov 2014 (pathetic that it only lasted 5 years). I rarely ever buy them but in this case, I did buy a 5-year protection plan. Just got off the phone and a repair person is coming out in a couple days.

I have no objections to them repairing this but if the issue is something more costly, what do they do ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our washing machine recently started making noises that it should be making and the built-in diagnostics don't help pinpoint the issue. What happens when you first start it is it lightly turns the basin while it "senses" the load. While it does that, it's making a noise it never made before. It's not a grinding noise but maybe what I'd describe as a dull rattle. It also makes a different noise during slow spinning. During the high-speed spinning, it sounds okay.

I flipped it on it's end as Googling showed one possible issue being the nut holding a pulley on that works loose. That's not the case for ours. Both pulleys are very secure and when turned by hand, don't show any wobble or anything. Using a place like Parts Select, the number of available repair parts is minimal. The washer drive pulley is one of them but ours seems fine. There's also a 'drive hub' but I didn't dig into it yet.

Washing machine model is a Maytag MVWC425BW. This unit is a super common one that's also sold by multiple brands like GE, Whirlpool, etc.

We owned Maytag W&D for 35 years with great no repair service.

Maytag ain't what they used to be.

Bought Speed Queen and love them.

In 35 years I'll report on their condition (LOL).

Originally Posted by user52165
We owned Maytag W&D for 35 years with great no repair service.

Maytag ain't what they used to be.

Bought Speed Queen and love them.

In 35 years I'll report on their condition (LOL).

I am marking your promise in my planner.

Speed Queen all the way......although if I could change one thing it would be tub size. Other than that they are the chevy small-block of the washer world.

http://www.appliance411.com/service/date-code.php.

Hit this site. Dan O has been bailing me out since the mid 90s. You'll find that all those machines tend to eat pulleys belts bearings and such An automotive stethoscope helps locate the offender often but these guys will help you out
Whatever you do while you're in there clean everything up. Washing machines and dryers do get nasty under there....

I had a friend with a Maytag front load washer started making noise.
The tub bearing went out of it.
Unfortunately you cant buy replacement bearing & seal from Maytag, only a complete tub, that is almost the price of a new washer.

He replaced the bearing, & reused the seal.
2 years later & still going strong.

less than $20.00 in parts, just a big pain the the *ss.
They don't make appliances to last anymore.

I also recently had a 4 year old chest freezer die. Tested electrical components to be sure it wasn't the starter assembly, & confirmed it was the compressor that failed.

It's absolutely disgusting how "throw away" they are making appliances now, I know 3-4 friends who have gone through 2 washing machines, stoves and dishwashers each no lie, and they all have been Samsung or lg. Even reputable companies who have been in appliance game for years, such as kenmore and Maytag have all dropped the ball quality wise.

We consumers are the blame. While some of us do our research but most buy the least expensive from a big box store while mom and pop stores disappear. The utility I worked for could not compete with Lechmere and others but the customers expected us to honor warantys and have parts in stock. Recently helped Grandson with their Whirlpool washer and couldn`t believe how cheaply it was made. Two sheet metal screws hold the back on. Problem was a sock drawn into the pump.

Since we're remodeling our utility room my wife ask me if we should get a new washer/dryer. The pair we have is 20 years old.. told her no way I'm replacing those until one dies. Like the OP our neighbor had a new one go out in 5 years. Parts are cheap and plentiful for those two.

I was really looking for ideas or advice on what the issue is but after I realized we have a protection plan that might help, I'm on standby until that's taken care.

I always said I'm sick of throwaway appliances like these and my next washer will be a Speed Queen but finances might say otherwise.... FWIW, I just called the local furniture/appliance store in our small town and they happen to be a Speed Queen dealer. Waiting on a call back.

Service tech came out yesterday and quickly declared it as a "transmission failure" and said "they won't fix it". Got an email today indicating they're reimbursing us for the full price that we paid for the washer (5) years ago.

Looking at the Speed Queens, I was ready to bite the bullet until I saw their capacity as only 3.2 cu ft. Our current is 3.8 cu ft and with a family of (5), we need bigger, not smaller. My wife even said she'd love a "laundromat-style" washer and she doesn't care about have 28 different "modes" vs something more reliable. If she says the smaller capacity is okay, I'll probably do it but I don't think she will. For some of you, that size may be fine, and I hope you enjoy yours....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Service tech came out yesterday and quickly declared it as a "transmission failure" and said "they won't fix it". Got an email today indicating they're reimbursing us for the full price that we paid for the washer (5) years ago.

Looking at the Speed Queens, I was ready to bite the bullet until I saw their capacity as only 3.2 cu ft. Our current is 3.8 cu ft and with a family of (5), we need bigger, not smaller. My wife even said she'd love a "laundromat-style" washer and she doesn't care about have 28 different "modes" vs something more reliable. If she says the smaller capacity is okay, I'll probably do it but I don't think she will. For some of you, that size may be fine, and I hope you enjoy yours....

It's not that much of a difference. It cleans better than the Samsung we have...

Kenmore Eltie Washer and Dryer, now 13 years old to the day almost, never a repair except one simple to do myself on the washer, that cost maybe $10 for a part if I remember correctly, watched a YouTube and replaced it in maybe 15 minutes.
Im a strong believe in the center agitator washers, which we have.

There is a little plastic part located in the top of the agitator that will wear out over time, its what that "click, click" noise is, like a ratchet that turns the agitator one click at a time, well, if the washer is too quiet then its shot and needs replacement.
I look at it like the equal of replacing a spark plug. At no time did the washer not work, it just didn't ratchet the center agitator around effectively which rotates the clothes as they are being washed.

Last edited:
I think Maytag machine is the same as a Whirlpool washer. Take the belt off(roll it off the pulley) and turn the agitator back and forth to see if the sun gear arrangement in transmission is going south or maybe the large ball bearing that supports tub is bad. There isn't too much to the latest modular washer drive arrangement. Most of the noise you hear is the plastic clutch components or the shift solenoid that allows motor to engage tub for spin cycle. Our Whirlpool sounds like it is shucking its guts once in awhile when shifting from agitate to spin. Take clutch apart and you can't see any wear at all on the drive/driven components. You are aware that these modular warshers achieve the agitator function by reversing the motor rotation rather that using a big heavy gearbox. That produces a unique sound too.

I'm not sure what the differences are having never owned one, but from what I understand, today's Speed Queens have been cheapened up considerably over the ones from yesteryear.

We have one at work for work clothes that's about 8yrs old. It probably does 2 loads a day, every day of the week. I'm not sure if it's an old style or a new style.

Just had a guy out to replace the gaskets on our subzero. He carries speed queen, and only carries the commercial units now. Said not to buy the consumer ones now.

Originally Posted by JTK
I'm not sure what the differences are having never owned one, but from what I understand, today's Speed Queens have been cheapened up considerably over the ones from yesteryear.

Speed Queen also isn't the primary choice of laundromats anymore - Dexter aggressively courted coin-ops and their machines seem to handle abuse well.

Back