Hose Leak At Bib, Tried New Hose & Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just moved into a home in a mountain community. The home was built in 2018. The only hose bib on the front of the house is inside the finished garage, about 10 feet from the door opening. That seems rather ridiculous but that's where it is.

Not being one to take my car to a commercial car wash, and notwithstanding there are none within 25 miles anyway I wanted to wash my car myself. I attached my garden hose, turned on the water and it leaked like a sieve, squirting water all over the drywall by the bib and poured out on the garage floor. I changed the washer and made sure it was tight. Same problem.

OK, so I went to Lowes and bought a fairly expensive new hose. Made sure the washer was in place, hand tightened it and it too leaked like a sieve. Tried tightening it with a wrench. Still leaked like crazy.

This is unacceptable. Did I get a defective new hose or is there something wrong with the spigot and I need to have a plumber come out and pay $$$ just so I can wash my car ?

Last edited:
Sounds like it's defective. For the time being...try some plumbers tape

Last edited:
Sounds like a good opportunity to move that hose bibb to the exterior where it should be. Install a shutoff where the current hose bibb is located if your area freezes during the winter.

Probably leaking from the hose Bib Anti-Siphon Valve. Just remove the valve if that your culprit.

Could be leaking in several places.
Look closely to see exactly where.
This will dictate where to put your effort.

1) Packing Washer (around spindle) - Tighten Packing Nut alittle at a time OR replace with Teflon Rope
2) Stem Washer - Replace

3) Make sure you have a washer in your Hose end (I see you did).

With this being a 'new' house, I'd look at the Hose first.
I don't like the Washers that come with Hoses / I bought replacements that look like big rubber O-rings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I attached my garden hose, turned on the water and it leaked like a sieve, squirting water all over the drywall by the bib and poured out on the garage floor.

A good starting point is to pinpoint exactly where it's leaking from. If you don't do that then anything else is just guesswork.

I checked the male threads on the spigot for damage and concentricity and it seems OK. The water is pouring out around the junction of the hose and the female connector fitting on it, not squirting around the handle and/or packing nut on the spigot. I think I have some of those big rubber O Ring type washers, I'll try that and if not try oldhp's suggestion of capping off the faucet and seeing if the issue is the spigot. At least it is not soldered to the pipe that sticks out of the wall, if the spigot is bad I can probably turn off the main water valve and replace it.

This is the hose I bought at Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teknor-Ape...ink-Free-Vinyl-Gray-Coiled-Hose/50328059

They claim "leak proof commercial couplings". Maybe not...

If it leaked with the old hose and a brand new hose I would think the problem lies with the spigot. At some point is it hard to tighten the hose?

Originally Posted by satyr64
Probably leaking from the hose Bib Anti-Siphon Valve. Just remove the valve if that your culprit.

Satyr64 is probably correct. Yo don't need the anti-siphon valve unless the outlet end of the hose will be connected to something toxic like a herbicide/pesticide sprayer. Here is a Youtube video that show you how to replace it:

Hose Bib Anti-Siphon Valve Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw7BSrWH1Ck

Probably not a defective hose if you tried a different hose. Built in 2018 and leaks like crazy? Is there any warranty or anything? Sounds like builder grade crap was installed and not tested.

You can try the repairs in the video, but there's a pretty good chance the valve is defective or there is some junk in there interfering with the valve sealing. I would disassemble, clean and replace the soft parts. It's not a big deal to replace it if you have the tools, but buying the tools might end up costing as much as calling a plumber.

I inspected the spigot and it does not have an anti-siphon contraption as part of the assembly. It is also not leaking around the valve stem. The problem is that the POS new hose has too much clearance between the female threaded coupling part and the flange fitting inside on the actual hose. I ended up using 2 of the red rubber hose washers to take up the slack in the fitting and then tightening it down by hand as hard as I could without resorting to a wrench. No more leaks.

Whatever it takes. Some times it takes tape . In my low budget/ labor intensive world, one must make use of what's available. A hand tight seal is perfect. It has taken me decades to attain tight hose connections The tray on my mounted hose reel is loaded with washers and shut offs an 2 crummy sets of pliers.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back