Piston soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by cronk
If you turn it over with the starter, it will turn fast enough to blow it all out.

Not if you stuff rags down the hole or put the plugs in for a turn or two prior to cranking.

But hey.. you do whatever works for you....

Originally Posted by Kruse
He then admitted that it was is son-in-law's car (I didn't know it) and that his son in law had to add a quart of oil every 500 miles. The car is no longer there, so maybe it was sold.

It's a hobby car for the OP.. I'm going out on a limb here but my guess is adding a qt of El Cheapo dino oil every now and then is an acceptable trade off in lieu of costly repairs. My pickup burns oil but I don't drive it often except back and forth to the dump. I keep a couple qts behind the bench just in case. I ain't spending the money on repairs for a +20yr old truck that's worth maybe $1500 if the wind blows right.

Try a flush, try a cylinder soak.. whatever helps helps. That's about all you can ask for. If the cost of chemicals (flush/Chemtool) is going to effect your way of life in any meaningful way, you've got bigger problems than stuck rings....

Last edited:
Did the soak overnight. Used an engine flush and b12 chemtool and this is what came out and it smoked like a mosquito fogger. After I did this I did Italian tune up and it doesn't smoke at all anymore. It took awhile to re seat the rings and get it to quit smoking like a chimney but once it quit it quit and hasn't smoked at all since. I then changed the oil to rotella t6 5w40. So far so good.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Have the starter turn it over.

No - it spins the engine WAY too fast

Before you start the soak empty out the FI's by taking out the fuel pump fuse and start it until it dies (this is how you take out injectors).. then when you want to turn it over just unplug the coil packs (or plug wires) and you can now crank the engine without the risk of spark/ignition.

You will have the best results doing this with the plugs out.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Have the starter turn it over.

No - it spins the engine WAY too fast

Before you start the soak empty out the FI's by taking out the fuel pump fuse and start it until it dies (this is how you take out injectors).. then when you want to turn it over just unplug the coil packs (or plug wires) and you can now crank the engine without the risk of spark/ignition.

You will have the best results doing this with the plugs out.

I'm actually quite pleased doing it my way but don't let me stop you from doing you.....

Originally Posted by ram_man
[Linked Image]

That Chemtool is great stuff...

It did something.. now the proof will be in the pudding as they say, in if it helps reduce the oil burning over the following drain interval.

It just looked like a weird place for it to come out in relation to the body in the pic. I was imagining that being the front wheel well in the pic.

It has side exit exhaust it cake out right in front of the passenger rear tire

Originally Posted by ram_man
Did the soak overnight. Used an engine flush and b12 chemtool and this is what came out and it smoked like a mosquito fogger. After I did this I did Italian tune up and it doesn't smoke at all anymore. It took awhile to re seat the rings and get it to quit smoking like a chimney but once it quit it quit and hasn't smoked at all since. I then changed the oil to rotella t6 5w40. So far so good.
If memory serves GM had a "cylinder treatment" to unstick Saturn rings (no pun intended) and it was very comparable to B-12 Chemtool. I used gallons of Berryman back in the day to clean carburetors and sludge under valve covers. Nothing else even comes close to cutting through carbon and sludge. Perform a few short OCIs with cheap oil/filter and in 6 months do it once again and you should be all set for a while.

Originally Posted by cronk
If you turn it over with the starter, it will turn fast enough to blow it all out.

Not if you stuff rags down the hole or put the plugs in for a turn or two prior to cranking.

But hey.. you do whatever works for you....

Putting the plugs in would hydro lock the motor.
Stuffing rags in the plug holes will result in the rags being shot out as soon as you hit the key and your soak product being blown out the cylinder.
But hey, just someone that has done this before, on the same vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back