Minimum miles between drain & fills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the same page as once around the [larger] block is fine..
I recently did my sons's 08 Civic, as the fluid looked too dark for my liking...
Did 3 x 3.2 lt D&F and when we dropped the last D&F , even my son said that the ATF looked pretty clean..
my 2c
J

I did 4 drain and fills on my 2012 Corolla in one morning. I switched over to Maxlife, I drove about 1/4 mile between drains. I think you just have to get through the gears.

Since you're dealing with an 'unknown' the 3 back to back D&F's will put you on a 'known good' footing with the change. Yes, the PO might have done what he was supposed to over the years, but without 100% proof, I'm of the opinion that you should start 'fresh' and go from there.

Do the 3x D&F in short order and then extend them out many thousand miles. The I4 doesn't eat transmissions like the V6 cars used to (previous to 2007) so you can go 10, 20, 30k with the D&F after you establish your known good baseline.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I think you just have to get through the gears.

Agreed. If you allow it to shift into each gear, fluid has travelled through all circuits of the transmission.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Originally Posted by Corollaman
I think you just have to get through the gears.

Agreed. If you allow it to shift into each gear, fluid has travelled through all circuits of the transmission.
Ah? Truly? And so on? It needs seconds for each gear to do his flushing job or what?
33.gif

200 miles for each fill, if you make it right.

edit:
Or, another idea: Change at weekend, drive the next week, change at naxt weekend, drive the next week etc. 4x

Last edited:
Back when my wife had her 08 CRV i did 30K intervals of Maxlife atf. Traded the car in with 180K with no issues. She has a 19 Pilot with the six speed. I plan on doing the same with this one. Either Maxlife or Amsoil blue cap.

Disclaimer; No TC drain down knowledge, but 2 minutes is my guess of how long it takes to pump the new fluid up out of the pan, do the next drain and fill and vary time as how discolored the fluid is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back